Hikers-Sedona AZ help needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've all helped me plan previous trips to other areas of the country in the past, so I know you won't let me down now. Last year, DH & I spent 2 weeks in Grand Canyon and Utah hiking, etc. We stopped at Navajo National Monument and hiked the Sandal trail, my DH wants to go back and do the Ranger lead hike to the Betatakin ruins. Has anyone ever done this hike?

The only way I can see us being able to do it is over a long holiday, so I'm thinking Memorial Day weekend. Tentatively, I'm planning:

Fri morn- Fly to Phoenix, drive to somewhere near the National Monument
Sat-Hike the Betatakin ruins. Drive to Flagstaff or Sedona.
Sun& Mon -Hike Flagstaff or Sedona areas
Tues-Fly home.

Any suggestions on where to stay, and what hikes are must do's in either the Flagstaff or Sedona areas? There seems to be many trails and they all look great, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, K
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM

For a brief rundown on a number of trails check out www.sedonahikes.net/catalog.htm. The V-bar-V Ranch and Palatki/Red Cliffs both operated by the US Forest Service have wonderful areas of petroglphs with on-site personnel (in season) who can help explain what you are looking at. Look at www.gatewaytosedona.com/article/id/59/page/1 for information & directions on V-V Ranch.
You will need a Red Rock Pass available from the forest service if you plan on parking at any trailheads. You can access their web site at www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino.
There are a number of firms which will take you on jeep trails to great overlooks and other rock art locations as well as vortex sites
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM

West Fork Trail(http://www.visionsofheaven.com/journ...dWestFork.html) in Sedona. Wonderful riparian trail. It's about a half mile north of Slide Rock State Park (on 89, I believe)and Slide rock is quite a nice stop too. (http://www.azparks.gov/Parks/parkhtml/sliderock.html)
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 04:42 AM

We did the Devil's Bridge hike, and it was a great 2 hour round trip, across a high natural bridge. Make sure you get a parking sticker in town for parking at Sedona trailheads.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions!

If we're hiking, should we still do the Pink Jeep tour? I'm thinking not, but in researching here, it seems to be the one thing everyone says to do.

Thanks, K
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM

I've been to Sedona 3 times and I've never done the jeep tours. There's so much to do and see. Hiking should get you pretty close to the "real" Sedona. There are also the rock hikes, so many in the area.

..but then again, I may just be missing on a fantastic jeep tour. Experience is experience. You may do a hike then change your mind. Personally, I would prefer to do the hot air balloon rides (they serve champagne breakfast at landing). Now THAT's an experience you can't forget.