COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

3-5 hrs in Sedona area

Old Mar 26th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

3-5 hrs in Sedona area

Oak Creek canyon viewing point comes highly recommended. Also is paid jeep trip-assume reason is it goes where cars can't(true?, we have rentacar and I don't mind turning it in a tad dusty. Anything else(we don't hike and really don't care for inside stuff.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:17 AM

The jeep tours are wildly popular, but I don't see the point because when we are in Sedona (as we were a few weeks ago) we take scenic drives without paying $79 each to bounce around in a jeep listening to a guide's corny jokes and hints for tips. Our favorite drive is Dry Creek Road: http://www.azcentral.com/travel/ariz...0road0717.html
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Can't take a car where the jeeps go. We took the Broken Arrow pink jeep trip ands thought it was very fun.
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 08:16 AM

I've never been on Pink Jeep tours. I hiked Broken Arrow instead.

You can't go on some of the tours routes on your own. Broken Arrow is a joint Pink Jeep / NPS project. Pink Jeep maintains it.

So, the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour is an option.

The view of Oak Creek Canyon is several miles north of Sedona. The drive down to the town is also quite scenic.

In 3-5 hours what I would probably do is the Boynton Canyon Vista hike in West Sedona. Not the full Boynton Canyon hike. This is a side spur near the start of the full hike. It's very short, extremely scenic and is a Sedona Vortex sight.

I would then drive over to the Bell Rock parking area and walk around near a few of the formations. You can wander around the area of Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte until you've had enough.

The beauty of Sedona is not the town but getting into the surrounding red rocks.

For a description of the above hikes and others with photos go to:

www.greatsedonahikes.com
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM

I forgot to mention.

The parking lots around Sedona are federal land administered by BLM. Parking in the lots requires you pay at one of the parking machines.

If you have a National Park Pass or lifetime senior pass, they are good for these parking lots.

You should either stop at a national park entrance or a ranger station and ask for a hang tag. One of those things that hangs from the rear view mirror. There's room to hang you pass on it so the ranger can see it.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much to all. I'm reminded just how much time these comments do save us all. One last Q--is there a shortcut from Bell Rock area across to Dry creek rd/Boynton canyon or must you get back on 179 and go up to 89A?