Search

Eloping to Sedona!

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eloping to Sedona!

We're planning on taking the plunge to Sedona in August and making a day or two trip up to the Grand Canyon, just the 2 of us. Looking for suggestions of "must do's" in Sedona, possible outdoor locations for a ceremony. Also curious about visiting the less traveled North Rim, if it's worth the extra drive, etc. Thanks for any input.
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:52 AM
emd

whoopsy, be aware that July and August are rainy season in Sedona. Aside from being incredibly hot, there can be severe rainstorms in the afternoons, referred to as monsoons. So plan the timing of your plunge w/that in mind.

There is a website run by a nondenominational female minister in Sedona, with the requirements for a wedding license in Arizona, in case you might need that info. You might find some other helpful info on that site also.

http://www.mysedonawedding.com/marriagelicense.html

I can think of many outdoor red rock locations for a wedding there. Many locations I would choose involve some hiking to get to them. You will need someone to officiate the wedding and that person has to go also, so before I'd suggest any of those you'd have to know whether the person officiating would be willing to get to them. And it will be hot hot hot then.

There are locations down by Oak Creek which would be cooler. I'd personally prefer the red rocks but it is going to be so hot that I could not be outside in the red rocks after about 10 in the morning (we have been there at end of June and could not do anything outdoors in the sun after about 10 am, and I am not thin skinned in the hot weather). So the hot weather would make me choose a location down in Oak Creek for July or August.

I think Junipine allows weddings on their property- typically larger weddings but you could call them and inquire about a small one like yours. They are a bit outside of Sedona, on 89A on way to Flagstaff, and have a wide,rushing portion of Oak Creek on the property. Plus, after the ceremony you could duck into their air conditioned cafe for champagne. I woudl not stay there in July/Augsut though as the units are not air conditioned.

The West Fork trail, a bit further up on 89A in Oak Creek Canyon, is also a lovely spot and is shaded and down in the canyon, so it is cooler. That is the only trail we were able to hike at the end of June during the day. You can find pictures of that trail if you google it. You would park in the lot and walk over a bridge, then just a short easy hike to get to a picturesque area by the creek. And afterwards, if you chose to do so, your officiating person could leave and you could hike the trail. It is a spectacular trail and not diffiuclt, just involves crossing the creek a few times but you can rock hop, and the creek won't be big at that time on that trail (unless there is a lot of rain like there was a few yrs ago in Feb.).

Boynton Canyon is also a nice shaded trail by Oak Creek. It is out the other direction on 89A, off of Dry Creek Rd., close to Enchantment resort, but it involves hiking about 45 min to get from the lot to the creek, and that portion of the creek is likely to be pretty dried up in July and August. The trail is shaded after the 1st 35 min. of the hike, but that first 35 min. would be hard for me to do in July and August because it is pretty exposed.

One other thing I would think about is having a sunrise wedding. If you do that, you could choose from other more exposed locations.

I am not sure of the rules on having a wedding on Red Rock Parkland, which is officially Coconino Natl. Forest land. If I were you, I'd check that out w/the Ranger's office in Sedona, which has apparently recently relocated. Here is their site and contact info:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/abo...ct-moves.shtml

Here is another site that might have some useful info for you:

http://www.gatewaytosedona.com/depar...egory/weddings

Good luck! I love Sedona and if my husband of 20 yrs and i were to renew our vows (which we have talked about doing) it would be in Sedona.

There are so many wonderful things to do in Sedona, but the heat would play a factor for me. How long are you staying there before heading to GC?

Old May 24th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Emd - Thanks for so much input. I have been on to a few of those sites already, so I must be on the right track. The hiking info is especially helpful, as it's something we will enjoy.

Yes, the heat concerns me for certain. I've been to Vegas in July on business many times, so I've experienced it anyway...We had discussed going in mid September also, right now we are booked for Aug 19-27. Would a month make that much of a difference? We're hoping for a sunset ceremony...(note to self, bring hiking boots to wear with dress! haha)

We're thinking of 5 nights in Sedona, then up to the GC for a night or two....

Thank you again.
Old May 24th, 2006, 05:31 AM
emd

Mid-Sept will be better but it will still be hot.

By sunset, the red rocks have heated up all day. But if you did it late enough, it will be ok.

I like the western areas of Sedona for sunset. I would not do the airport location by Sky Ranch Lodge, which is where everyone goes for sunset. But there is a vista just before you get to that area. You would go up airport rd., and make the left into a little parking area (before the overlook by Sky Ranch Lodge where everyone goes for sunset). You can hike up a rock there (you can't miss it, it is a big rock)and have a spectacular view of the sunset from the top. This is a moderate and very short hike (10 min.)up the rock. You might not be completely alone, but the nice thing is that there is only space for about 10 cars there, so it never gets too crowded. You can also park at the shops on 89A and walk up the airport rd. (although it is a narrow rd. and you have to be careful walking on side of rd., but we've rented a house in that neighborhood and walked up the rd. to this vista many times). No one does that, but it is a good way to do this if the small lot is full.

There are other vista trails in west Sedona but again, they are longer and there is danger of being out there after it gets dark, so you have to time it carefully to be down by dark. One very good example is Doe Mountain, which is 1.8 miles one way, and is rated as a moderate hike. Great vista on the mesa at top. I would probably pick Doe Mountain if I could get the officiting person to do it (some extra $$).

Since it is your wedding, get a copy of Richard and Sherry Mangum's book Sedona Hikes and check out some of these west Sedona hikes w/vistas. Available on Amazon for like $15. Good book, well worth it. It is the one I use to hike there and it has never let me down on the trail descriptions, directions, and explanations, and their personal favorite recommendations are right on the money.

Look into the full moon hike at Red Rock State Park if there is a full moon while you are there. This is a great and fun hike w/flashlights, starts at dusk and you climb up til the full moon rises. on a ridge- you feel like you can reach up and touch the moon. We love this hike, led by a ranger.

See the Chapel of the Holy Cross, built into the rocks.

You can also do a sunset horseback ride at Trailride Adventures out by Red Rock State Park.

Get a hotel w/a good pool - you'll need it that time of year.

You could do the fun train ride in Clarksdale- Verde Valley train. We love that ride and this is something you can do in heat of the day because the cars are air conditioned (w/outside exposed cars to view the landscape also). Get first class car seats- it is worth it. You MUST reserve this train, and do it now for that time of year. They also have sunset train rides and wine train rides, etc. Very fun and enjoyable, great narration on the ride also.

http://www.verdecanyonrr.com/

Go to Slide Rock Park for the water features! Like a natural waterpark.

http://www.azstateparks.com/Parks/pa...sliderock.html

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/rec...rock-pic.shtml

Old May 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM
emd

Do you have reservations yet, esp. for GC lodging and evening dining? I would get reservations NOW, RIGHT NOW. You can cancel them and rebook if you decide on Sept. (although I would not take too long to do that) but August is packed at GC, and you'll likely want to stay in the park if you can.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM
emd

one more thing- i had the Red Rock State Park site bookmarked, and it has the activities for August. There are sunset hikes and mmonlight hikes. Not sure when the full moon is in August...

http://www.azstateparks.com/text/eve...drock_cal.html
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:07 AM
trippinkpj

I guess I lucked out one year in mid July in Sedona. Upper 80's, no rain. Beautiful.

Old May 24th, 2006, 07:43 AM
emd

Your temps are very very very unusual for July.
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM
emd

JUst in case you haven't seen this or run across it, apparently a special permit is required to have a wedding ceremony in the Coconino Natl. Forest, which encomapsses the red rock parklands in and around Sedona:

Obtain the necessary permits.

If you are planning your wedding within the CoconinoNational Forest, your wedding officiant or planner/consultant will need to obtain a permit on your behalf. While this does not cost you any money, they will need to have the permit number handy should a ranger inquire. While the permit does not provide you with exclusive rites to the ceremony site, it does allow you to have your wedding within the National Forest.

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM
emd

and here is a post from this board from someone who was in Sedona last July:

Author: MichelleY
Date: 02/05/2006, 06:00 pm
Dear WNC:

We were in Sedona the last week of July last year. The temps peaked at about 100, but the humidity was more than we were used to. July & August are there monsoon months, with frequent afternoon thunderstorms. We did outdoor things in the morning and hit the pool in the afternoons.

MY

Old May 25th, 2006, 03:29 AM
emd

One more thought for outdoor places for a ceremony- Red Rock Crossing. This is part of the Coconino Forest land but I know there is a booth where you must pay to get in and you can't use your Red Rock pass here. The views there of Cathedral Rock and Oak Creek are very nice and show up on many post cards and photographs in Sedona. I don't know how wet that portion of the Creek is in August though, you might find out about that.

Red rock Crossing is out in West Sedona off of the Upper Red Rock Loop Road, where the high school is. It is pretty famous but not crowded at all the many times I've been there, as it does require a separate fee from the Red Rock Pass (which you must have to park at all the Coconino Forest land trails- virtually all of the trails in Sedona).

Here you go:

http://www.angelicaharp.com/Wedding/rrc.html
Old May 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, it was very hot/humid last July in Sedona!! We are from N. California, so are not used to humidity much above 20-25%. Plus, keep in mind you want to look good for your wedding. Not sweaty or with flat hair. I have fine, straight hair, so last summer in Sedona was a bad hair week!!!

Good luck and congratulations.

MY
Old May 26th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Ahh thank you all for the input. Have spent the last few days on the phone, making reservations, etc. We're confirmed in Mid Sept, flying into Las Vegas for 2 nights, then driving to the North Rim; we are booked there for 2 nights as well. Heading down to Sedona for 5 nights thereafter booked into the Sedona Summit (it's a timeshare a friend is letting us have for the week) though I think we'll splurge for a night into a lovely B & B. Any suggestions?

I have ordered the Sedona Hikes book and made notes of some of the hike suggestions.

I've been in touch with a few officiants to help with locale/organization, so will focus on that now.

Thank you again for all the input!
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:28 AM
emd

PLease post back on how it goes in Sedona. I really would like to hear where you had the outdoor ceremony, who officiated, etc. Your post has promted me to discuss with my husband the prospect of renewing our wedding vows in Sedona this fall (Oct. is our 20th anniversary), with just us and our two teens (who love hiking and biking in Sedona, they've been there many times w/us for a week or more at a time and never tire of it). I'd really like to hear about your experience and it will help me plan for ours.

Good luck!
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Emd - I hate to keep inquiring, but you seem to have such a good grasp on the area, so I'll just say thank you again!

I will let you know of the officiants I speak to and what their suggestions are as well. You've given me many suggestions on locale, so I'll be sure to inquire about those.

Can you suggest any restaurants? We love to dine al fresco, (I realize it might be too hot for that!) or somewhere with wonderful views. We're not fans of stuffy formality or being rushed, but more "casual elegance" if that makes sense. Also, places for everyday lunchs, local favorites, etc. I imagine in town we will run into places we just come across. I like to take the road less traveled and get a real feel for what a place is like, not the tourist traps.

I will keep you up to date in the next couple of months when we make our decisions about the ceremony. I think it's wonderful you may renew your vows with your husband and children in a place you obviously love. I hope in 20 years we'll be thinking of doing the same!
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:37 AM
emd

Some of our favorites:

Shugrue's Hillside: Great views from outdoor dining area and indoor dining rm, casual elegance, very good food; always good. MAKE RESERVATIONS before eyou go to Sedona.

http://www.shugrues.com/sedona/index.htm

Good Thai: Thai Spices, on 89A west
http://www.thaispices.com/

Japanese/sushi: Minami in village of Oak creek; small neighborhood place
w/nice sushi bar and friendly people

There are pictures of interior of Thai Spices and Minami here:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...dona-BR-3.html
Everyone loves Coffee Pot restaurant for breakfast but I've never been able to get in, too long a wait. We like the Airport restaurant (up Airport rd. off of 89A) for breakfast, views of the runway and antique biplane. ALso serves pretty good lunch and dinner.

http://www.sedonaairportrestaurant.com/

http://airport.sedona.net/

Splurge meal: Cucina Rustica in Village of Oak Creek (5 miles before Sedona on Hwy 179, which runs btwn Hwy 17 and Sedona). Not stuffy, but very elegant and realtively pricey. Excellent food and service, lovely setting. MAKE RESERVATIONS before you go to Sedona.

http://www.cucinarustica.com/

click on Cucina Rustica on right side of frame.

Oak Creek Brewery and Grill: good food and great beers, fun place in Tlapepaque so you can walk around and shop and browse afterwards. Make reservations.

http://www.oakcreekpub.com/brewpub/news.php

Pizza Picazzo: Great pizzas, nice setting, on 89A south. Also pastas, great wines and bar. RESERVATIONS.

http://www.pizzapicazzo.com/pages/welcome.html

We avoid uptown Sedona completely (from the Y intersection to the right on 89A). Way too touristy and too many tour buses.

Old May 27th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Instead of splurging on a b & b for one night (pain in the neck to switch hotels IMO) I'd spend your "splurge account" on a balloon ride over the red rocks. Just a thought.

emd- OHMIGOD! You little wedding planner! A possible second career? Retirement career maybe?
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:42 AM
emd

Oh, almost forgot. We like the Grill at Junipine, up in Oak Creek Canyon about 6 miles from Sedona. Cool location (literally) because it is right on Oak Creek (and creek is big and rushing at that point) and up in the tree covered canyon. Good fresh fish (trout caught in the creek too) and other fare, causal, open for all 3 meals. Some tables outdoors in front, but i like the indoor dining better. Quiet, friendly people. If you go, walk by the creek in back and put your feet in it. BIG trout in that creek that you can see.

http://www.junipine.com/

http://www.junipine.com/dining.html

Old May 27th, 2006, 05:47 AM
emd

hi amwasu! I haven't been to Sedona since the week in Dec. and it is showing, isn't it. I miss it. I think we will renew the vows there this fall, long weekend trip.

If I had a 2nd career it would be luxury trip planning. I just put together a weekend in Cabo for me and two close female friends like that, putting the ground transportation, chef and spa services (at the villa) and villa all together. Lots of details. Going next weekend!
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:01 AM

And I'm currently planning a last minute trip to Alaska for four of us. The other couple has been paralyzed/overwhelmed just looking at Alaska stuff for the past year. Not me, one day and I got the itinerary. Now if we can find places to stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -