HELP!! Nightlife in DC

May 30th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Judy

HELP!! Nightlife in DC

This is very short notice but would appreciate any quick advice. This 60 year old mother leaves with her 31 year old (newly single) daughter for DC next Tuesday (the 4th of June). Our days are well planned but haven't been able to find ways we both agree on to fill the evening (and, in her case, the late night hours). I am not into her "nightclubing" plans even though she would cheerfully take me along. Can't find any theatre offerings this time of year. Any suggestions of what we could both enjoy after the sun sets would be VERY welcome. If it helps, we are staying at the Jury Hotel in DuPont Circle and I for one wouldn't mind staying close by at night.

May 31st, 2002, 05:59 AM
carolyn

Dupont Circle has loads of nightlife, and I'd also suggest taking an evening and having dinner in Adams Morgan at one of their many ethnic restaurants and walking around people watching. It's very close to Dupont Circle, long walk, or short cab ride.

The Carter Baron (sp?) theater in upper nw is starting their Shakespeare under the stars this Friday night. Also, see what the Kennedy Center has on stage.

Unfortunately, I can't think of much to do in the evening in the District, especially in Dupont Circle, that doesn't involve eating and drinking.

Look at the Washington Post website's entertainment section. www.washingtonpost.com

May 31st, 2002, 06:09 AM
Suzy

You might both enjoy the Capitol Steps, a musical satirical revue:

www.capsteps.com

May 31st, 2002, 07:19 AM
dc

Check out TICKETplace for 1/2 price theater tickets. It's at 1100 Penn. Ave and 12th Street in the Old Post Office pavilion. They sell tickets to other events like Embassy concerts, etc. I think the WashingtonPost.com has a list of their current offerings.

One weeknight (to avoid crowds), go up to the top of the Washington Hotel and sit on the balcony for a nice view of Wash. Monument and Treasury Bldg. Last time I was there, we got "spotlighted" by the secret service agents patrolling the roof of the White House. it's not that far from DuPont.

May 31st, 2002, 07:20 AM
dc

One more thing - Cafe Japone in DuPont has karoke. It's pretty smoky, but fun!

May 31st, 2002, 09:23 AM
carolyn

I just thought of another thing in Dupont. The galleries in the area have what's called "first friday". They all open up in the evenings and serve snacks and beverages. It's a lot of fun if you enjoy looking at all sorts of art.

May 31st, 2002, 10:23 AM
Judy

Thank you all for all the ideas. Might add that I have nothing against an evening of eating and drinking but just can't see myself in a place called "Heaven and Hell" that dear daugher is suggesting. Does anyone know about "Shear Madness" at the Kennedy Center?

May 31st, 2002, 10:25 AM
Ann

There's a really good bar in Dupont Circle, called Brickskellar's. They have about 500 different beers, and also a good atmosphere. Ask your hotel for directions.

May 31st, 2002, 11:33 AM
carolyn

Judy,

I can't see a woman of your age in Heaven and Hell either; it's a very young crowd there, I've been there, but now at almost 40, I'm not sure I'd go. Don't let her drag you into Chief Ike's Mambo room either unless you have your dancing shoes on!

One other word of warning if you might be heading out to some clubs, Dupont has a fairly large gay community, so don't be surprised if you encounter a bar with primarily same sex couples.

I think you'll be able to find some spots that you both will be happy with.

Shear Madness is cute, and a fun little play. I think there has been some discussion on this board about it, you might want to do a search.

May 31st, 2002, 11:46 AM
dave

Judy -

Try Rouge or Topaz if you are looking to go out for a couple of drinks. Both are in some of the new boutique hotels popping up around the city. I would also recommend Brickskellar which I believe is on 22nd St. They have an enormous selection of beer, and a very laid back atmosphere. Other bars in the area that could be fun are The Big Hunt or the upscale 18th and Connecticut area, though that might be pushing your limits. For a late dinner I would really recommend Bistro du Coin up on Conn. and S I believe. Its a very lively restaurant crowd where both you and your daughter would blend in with no problem. Have fun!