Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do in Washinigton DC w/2 kids on a Friday night?

Feb 12th, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

We're planning a short family trip to Wash DC next month. We'll be driving and arriving about 4-5 PM on a Friday. We've been to Wash DC several times before. There's always more to see at the Smithsonian (the American Indian museum is on Saturday's agenda) but it closes at 5:30.

Besides dinner, what would you do with 2 teenage girls on a Friday night (no shopping, please)?

We'll be staying in the Dupont circle area. Are there any Thai or Vietnamese restaurants you'd recommend? Thanks.

Feb 12th, 2006, 06:12 AM

Barry,

While there are many, many great Vietnemese restaurants in the DC suburbs, the ones in DC porper are just OK at best. There are plenty of good DC Thai places, however. A great choice would be Rice. It has sublime food and makes for a special evening. You two girls will think it's quite cool and all will love the cooking. The website is below. Make a reservation. It's an easy walk, depending on what part of Dupont you'll be in or a VERY short taxi ride at worst.
http://www.simplyhomedc.com/Welcome.html

As for other evening activites, there is so much and the questions is pretty open ended. Take a look through the website below, plug in the dates you're interested in and come back with any further questions. Website also contains additional restaurant info.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...de/?nav=hptile

Feb 12th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Have you done a tour of the monuments and memorials at night? The war memorials are especially powerful and beautiful at night.
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:51 PM

If you don't do the monuments, I would go see "Shear Madness" at the Kennedy Center. During the intermission, or after the show, take a walk out on the terrace & look at the surrounding cities.

I just learned of a place ... I think on K Street .. that has tix for 1/2 price to many entertainment offerings ... which included Shear Madness when I checked last ... I'll try to get the name & url of it.
Feb 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM

There is plenty of decent theatre in DC of all kinds that one doesn't have to go to garbage like Shear Madness. Just because someone is a teenager doesn't mean they can't go to a real play, whether drama or comedy. There are lots of small theatres around Dupont Circle with good plays, as well as the Jewish Community Center on 16th, and there are the bigger shows at the Shakespeare or National or Warner. As long as you are in a city with good theatre, you might as well take advantage of it.

There are always movies, of course. What do you do with them on Friday. I'd just look in the paper there is everything possible to do listed in the Friday entertainment section, by category.

Sala Thai is considered one of the best Thai restaurants near Dupont Circle (2016 P st). I've eaten in a good Vietnamese on in Adams Morgan which might be a fun place for you to go and just walk around, also -- it's a popular night spot so there are lots of people out. that restaurant is Saigonnais at 2307 18th St. It was pretty good.
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:36 PM

We were in Dc last month. Our teenage boys had a great time at the outdoor ice skating rink at the Gallery. I'm not sure if it is stil cold enoough in march for it to be open.
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Shear Madness isn't high brow by any stretch but it's not garbage. It's the functional equivalent of London's Mouse Trap. Perhaps the lite version but family style entertainment. You could do a lot worse.

For instance, current movies targeted at teens. How about Final Destination 3? There's some garbage.
Feb 14th, 2006, 03:10 AM

My teens' favorite performances in DC were the Capitol Steps (musical political satire, updated weekly) and Shakespeare play at the Elizabethan Theater at the Folger Shakespeare Library. Get seats onstage, it's a very special experience.
Feb 14th, 2006, 04:12 AM

I second what anonymous said. Check out what is at the Folger Shakespeare Theater and if it is a comedy, look no further. My teens enjoy it whenever we go. It is a unique experience.
Feb 14th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Seeing "Shear Madness" is by no means any great cultural experience, but the kids I've seen at it seem to really enjoy it; I think any teen would like it. I thought about recommending "Capitol Steps" as well, but think that some of the humor would be lost on those who don't follow current (political) events. Sometimes on vacation it's nice to just have some fun, especially after a day of "cultural fulfillment".

If you want garbage, go see a movie, as Christina suggests. (Nothing like traveling across the country to spend time on something you can see at home, and probably for less cost too.)
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:40 AM
GoTravel

I third the suggestion for the Folger Shakespearian play.

My first time was when I was 18 and I was mesmorized.

I saw Othello when I was 23 and it made a fan out of me. It was chilling to see Desdimona rise out of the bed naked on stage.

It is a very powerful thing.

Feb 14th, 2006, 08:52 AM

If you are looking for asian food - I have a suggestion. We were outside of Washington DC a couple of months ago and had a fantastic dining experience - fun and a little weird.

Korean BBQ! There are many around Washington. It is exotic - and a lot of fun! There is actually a grilll at your table - (a grill - not a griddle like at a Japanese "cook at your table" restaurant). They bring out food and YOU cook it yourself. The place we were - provided only chopsticks, and you grill and eat. They also give you a bunch of little plates full of tiny portions of a kinds of sauces and other exotic dishes. . . spring onions and sesames, some kind of weird egg souflette, etc. We had the "variety platters" which included all kinds of meats, fish etc.
The food was fantastic _ and the meal itself was an adventure. I think teenagers would have fun - especially making the food and eating with chopsticks.

To find one - try google local. "Korean BBQ near (wherever you are in washington)"
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
emd

My 15 yr old son, who is an A-B honor roll student (but so what he is still a teenager), laughed very hard at Sheer Madness. I found it entertaining also.

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History is open late on Friday nights for Smithsonian Jazz Cafe from 6 til 10 pm, w/a $10 cover, which includes late showings of all the current IMAX films, a jazz concert (this Fri. is Latin JAzz night), diferent ethnic food offerings, and the museum store is open for browsing.
See: http://www.mnh.si.edu/jazz/location.html
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM

emd: Thanks for the tip on Smithsonian Jazz Cafe. That's what I will do for my next Friday night at DC.
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM

Recommend one of the Potomac River dinner cruises that leave from the southwest waterfront - check out the Spirit of Washington cruises or the Odyssey (more pricey though). DC by water in the evening is a must if you have never done this.