Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Help with Restaurants in Dupont Circle area of Washington, D.C.

Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

I will be taking my mother this coming weekend to Washington, D.C., and we will be staying in the Dupont Circle area at the Westin Embassy Row hotel. It is my understanding that we will be 1-1/2 to 2 blocks from the red line Metro at Dupont Circle.

Can someone give any recommendation for places to eat both breakfast, (other than our hotel, which looks ridiculously expensive for breakfast), and dinner?

I know that Dupont Circle is full of wonderful restaurants, but I was wondering if anyone could give us some suggestions of their favorites.

Thanks in advance.

Duane
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:24 AM

Duane, I don't know what they're getting for breakfast at the Westin, but if you cross the street and head over to the Hilton Embassy Row, there is a $14 breakfast buffet (not a terrible price, but Washington DC standards.) If you will be there on a Sunday for bruch, the Radisson Barcelo's Gabriel Restaurant has a great one and it's on the other side of your block. Also on your block is the fun & different Brickskeller with reasonably priced (though not fancy) "American style" food and perhaps the largest selection of beer in the world. At 1610 Twentieth Street (just a short walk from your hotel and right off Dupont Circle on your side) is The Childe Harold. Take your mom to the upstairs dining room; nice menu choices and a great ambiance. I also enjoy the Bistro du Coin, which is on the same side of Connecticut Avenue a few blocks up from Dupont Circle. (Whatever you get, a side of the tartiflette potato dish is sublime!)

That's a little start and I'm sure you will get more. Happy Travels!
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:35 AM

I like the Iron Gate on N street between Conn and 17th. The Tabard Inn is a small hotel on 17th across from the Iron Gate that has a nice, reasonable restaurant.
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:08 PM

At least go to the bar at the Tabard..known as the watering hole for Washington progressives. We liked Johnny's Half Shell in Dupont..feels like an Atlantic fishhouse..try the crabcakes.
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your suggestions. Does anyone else have any favorite restaurants for breakfast and dinner in the Dupont Circle area?

Thanks in advance.

Duane
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:42 AM

I like Kramerbooks on Conn. Ave. just north of the circle - not just a bookstore cafe but a full fledged restaurant. For breakfast go to Teaism, (Dupont branch).
Also here is the Wash Post Restaurant guide: on the pull down bar select "Dupont" once there you can sort Dupont Circle places by price, cuisine, etc. http://eg.washingtonpost.com/section/restaurants
Mar 24th, 2003, 09:19 AM

Oh! How could I forget Luna Grill and Diner on Conn between Mass and N street. Good for weekend brunch
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Another favorite restaurant is RAKU--especially if it's warm enough to eat outside.
A good Thai restaurant is Typhoon on S st.
Apr 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM
TCC

A truly great pizza restaurant is
Pizzeria Paradisio on P Street a very
short walk from Dupont Circle.
Try it, you won't be dissapointen.
No reservations, you may have to wait,
but it's worth it.
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:12 PM

Somewhere near the circle there is a great place called Julia's Empanadas. Terrific meat-filled pastries that, for $3-4 each, can give a pretty affordable meal or snack.

I also second the post about Kramerbooks; I could have spent days on end there when I visited the District.
Apr 6th, 2003, 09:13 PM

Do not miss eating at Bistro du Coin. For dinner try the mussels with the most delicious "frites" this side of France. They have delicious omlets for breakfast/brunch on the weekends.