Search

washington, dc

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
washington, dc

We are thinking of traveling to dc for labor day we, any suggestions on where to stay , my husband and I and 2 children, 18 and 24, also, would fly in to baltimore friday eve, should we stay in baltimore friday or go over that night? have not been in years, what attractions could we see in this time period, would appreciate some suggestions
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:17 AM

I would stay in DC after you arrive at BWI.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:36 AM

With kids the ages of yours, I would recommend doing a Segway tour (if they aren't already booked out for the weekend). We did the evening tour last August with our young-adult children and we all had a blast! I'd do it early in your visit, if possible, so you can get some ideas from the tour and the tourguide of what places to return to for a more in-depth visit.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Agree, to go directly to DC from BWI. In terms of what to see, really depends upon your interests. One of the newer places is the newseum which I loved. dupont circle is a nice area to stay -- metro accessible, lots of people walking around and lots of restaurants.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM

Labor Day is a crowd time for DC...so pace yourself and don't try to see "everything"....a full service and informative place to start is in Reagan Building in downtown DC...has all types booklets and no cost information...and a great video that will help you focus in on what to see...most of Smithsonian museums open at 10 am and close at 5 or 6 pm...no matter where you stay try to fit in a ride on the Metro....just for the experience especially in the evening across the Potomic where you will see Jefferson Memorial and pass by Arlington Cemetery and DC all lit up....Baltimore is only about one hour train trip to DC..but Baltimore is a seperate exerience in it self....maybe getting to DC Friday night and resting up (with a casual walk around DC in the evening) will prepare you to get the most of your time in DC..or ask hotel how to get to Georgetown which is a yuppie type town but lots of people and restaurants and maybe just to get an ice cream and stroll about....enjoy your experience....
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 02:29 PM

One thing you may like is the water taxi (tour boat really) between Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria across the river in VA. You can go over in the AM and catch a later return if you like (you will probably need to reserve) They also have both a sunset and moonlight trip to take in the lit up monuments at sunset and at night. (Just google DC water taxi).

Always something I've wanted to do myself and I live right near it!