Search

Washington, D.C.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washington, D.C.

Heading to D.C. in February for a weekend. Will be arriving late Friday and staying until I am ready to leave on Sunday. Looking for ideas on where to stay and what to see, tours we should take, cool places to eat, etc in such a short visit. this is my first visit to D.C. Thanks for all your responses!
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Get a guidebook to narrow down what you like to do. Can't give advice to someone you know nothing about.

I am sure you can fill two days off the bat without even opening a book just by common knowledge of what's in DC

Where to stay:
Penn Quarter, Dupont Circle, Downtown in DC
Crystal City, Rossyn in VA
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Those of us who live in DC would be happy to provide advice, but you have to give us some guidance first.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM

We loved our two night stay at The Sofitel in Washington DC when we visited for the first time this past Nov. We had outstanding meals at Plume @ the Jefferson Hotel and The Blue Duck Tavern @ the Hyatt. It was easy to catch cabs right outside the hotel to take us everywhere we wanted to go. The Sofitel just won a Traveler's Choice award on Tripadvisor. ***kim***
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kimamom! I am looking to see as much as I can while in DC. Is there a tour that will touch upon all the sights that I should see while I am in town. Also I looking for a convenient place to stay that is fairly reasonable. Any good bars or restaurants with entertainment and good resonable food?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 02:18 PM

What is your price range for the hotel? How many people?

Check under my user name for a trip report for DC. I did a night tour of the monuments. This would save you time during the day and the days to hit museums. With that short of a time, you may be better off not going to museums or just seeing what you must see. How are you getting to DC?
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 04:38 PM

Go to travelzoo.com, select Washington DC, investigate the offers there.

On its own site, the Washington Grand Hyatt (a location we like) is showing rates of $119 for weekend nights in February. (I checked February 18-21.)

Dinner? We like Central, Zaytinya, and Jaleo.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM

I agree with Kmbp on the Dinner recommendations - Jaleo is a wonderful Tappas restaurant with great Sangria, we dine there every visit to DC. Zaytinya is good too. Another favorite of ours is Old Ebbitt Grill on 15th Street. For a snack and cup of tea, we stop in at Teaism on 8th Street.

For a good, inexpensive breakfast, try Lincoln's Waffle Shop on 10th Street NW, then visit the Ford Theater across the street.

The monuments are beautiful at night. As for the museums, with only a couple of days I would read about them and pick which ones sound the most interesting to you. I enjoy them all, but my favorites are the American History Museum and the Natural History Museum.

Have a wonderful trip to one of my favorite cities!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM

there are plenty of tours you can take in DC to see the monuments. Do a google search. DH and I always stay at the Grand Hyatt on H street and 10th. Love the location. Agree with KMBP about dinner, Zaytinya was terrific. And hey, don't forget 5 Guys for lunch. they are all over.