Help me narrow area to stay NYC

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me narrow area to stay NYC

While I search, can anyone (mclaurie, you seem to have AMAZING knowledge of NYC hotels...) tell me the best area for us to stay, visiting from Sydney for 6 days.
We want central, with loads tourist stuff for 11 yr old within walking distance, good for subway, good for food, safe. Can you help me narrow it down please? thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM

McLaurie has some amazing posts here on nyc hotels, you can probably find some recent ones in the search bar using nyc hotels as your search -
but if you want a suite, I did recently stay at Rhiga Royal, which gave us plenty of room for one to watch tv while others slept, etc and plenty of room for spreading out, dressing, etc and near enough to many things, subway, times sq, etc but quiet.

Don't know your budget, but we had a great stay there a few weeks back.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

we are happy to spend the money for space, good location and service. We want an upmarket holiday. Does the Rhinga fit the bill? thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:25 PM

You did not mention when you are coming, the spring or during the summer. If you can add that info, we'll all chip in with more summer thoughts.

The city is pretty spread out, and you certainly will be able to walk to alot of sites just about anywhere you stay, but my thoughts would be somewhere in midtown or the Wall St area, because you have access to subways and buses which can get you around town pretty easily.

You might check the www.hotels.com site for suggestions on what hotels are available during your stay dates, and you can get an idea of what is available, location, amenities, distance to sites, and shopping coupons.

If you stayed downtown, you are close to the Staten Island Ferry, South St. Seaport, Battery Park, Chinatown, Little Italy and lots of restaurants.

Midtown West you are close to Times Square, Central Park, Museum of Natural History, movie theatres, Lincoln Center and lots of shopping in the 34th St area.

East Side you are close to the Met Museum and Museum Mile, 5th Ave, Central Park, St. Patricks, Museum of TV and Radio, shopping and TONS of restaurants.

All that said, if you are coming during the summer, I would suggest picking a hotel with a pool, which after a full day site seeing will be a welcome relief. Also a fun day trip during the summer is a day to the Sunken Forest on Fire Island. You take the Long Island Railroad out and then it's a taxi and ferry ride over to the island. The Sunken Forest area has a life guard and is for families, with a small shop for food and a beautiful path to walk through some very pretty woods. The area is maintained by the Parks Department, and there is a ranger on site to answer questions.

Hope this helps a little have a great time while you are here.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

We are coming in first week Oct. NYC in the heat would be too much for me!
But thanks for the breakdown of areas.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:49 AM

If you've read a lot of hotel posts, then you know the sights are spread all around the city and it's relatively easy to get from place to place from most locations.

The practical reality is prices for next Oct. are currently listed at almost $100/night more than they have been. A suite that someone who's currently writing a trip report just paid $269 for, is going for $359 next Oct. That could come down b/w now and then, but gosh that's a lot. How much are you willing to spend?

Questions to ask yourself

1. Do you want to be right in Times Square, esp. popular with kids and teens but VERY crowded and touristy?

2. Would you rather be near but not in TImes Square?

3. Would you rather be in a more residential area but within easy reach of midtown?

4. Is budget a main consideration so you'd make compromise on location in order to get a nicer hotel?

5. Do you want an apartment style "suite" in a hotel rather than a regular hotel room?

I think a suite would be a great convenience for you and the Rihga Royal is a great location near but not in Times Square. But the hotel has been sold to new owners who are renovating it now (so prices are currently a bargain) and by next Oct., the cheapest rate I see is $633/night!! It will probably be the poshest all suite hotel in the city. (It will be called the London)

The best price I see for a 1 bedroom suite is $260 at the Beekman Towers hotel (on quikbook.com). Keep in mind none of the prices listed on US websites include tax which will amount to another 15% or so. This is a very nice, but older hotel who's main inconvenience is being a longer distance from the nearest subway stop than most other hotels. It's near the UN building and is in midtown, but a combination residential/business area. There is a crosstown bus in front of the hotel that will get you to Times Square w/o much trouble and the walk to Grand Central Terminal is about 10 minutes. Btw, this price is substantially less than what's on the hotel's own website, affinia.com

For $255 you can get the Kimberly, another suite hotel but this price is for what appears to be a regular room with 2 double beds. A 1 bedroom suite there is $305 (still on quikbook) The Kimberly is a bit more central, within a short walk to Fifth Ave., St. Patrick's Cathedral, Bloomingdales.

If you wanted to stay closer to Times Square, the Belvedere, a well regarded budget hotel with fridge and microwave in the room, but not a suite, is $259/night for Oct 1-5 & then $319 for the last night.

You can read lots of reviews on tripadvisor.com

If you like the idea of a suite, you can also contact www.apartments2book.com, a London agency that has contracts with lots of the all suite hotels. They might have some good prices. Interestingly, I didn't see any bargains for that period (I searched Oct 1-7) at some of the less central hotels. The upper west side is a very popular area (with Aussies and families in general) and has a few nice hotels (Lucerne, Excelsior, On the Avenue) but their prices were just as high as midtown.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:15 AM
sandi

With some of the areas and attractions listed above, and a good guidebook (yes, people still buy them - find what is free or those fees where one is charged) as there is much to see you can determine where to go and see on any given day. Then depending on your choice of hotel and the area, you can start your touring within that area. It'll give you a feel of how to get (walk, train, bus) to/fr and time it takes including visiting places.

By day-2 you can move out of the day-1 comfort area; then with each succeeding day you can go further afield. Subway and bus maps are available and you'll find the City a breeze to navigate and very intersting.

October is a wonderful time to visit. Most of the summer heat is gone, so it's pleasant to be moving about. The subway cars and buses are air conditioned... subway platforms, however, aren't.

You'll have a wonderful time.

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Times Sq seems to be the most popular tourist area to stay, but it is by no means the best area to stay. It's very crowded, congested and noisy, with many chain and overpriced restaurants. There are dozens of other great neighborhoods to stay in. Most midtown location are good as long as they aren't to far east or west (longs blocks from the nearest subway). Basically anything between 8th avenue and 3rd avenue are convenient to public transportation. Anything within 5 block or so of Grand Central Station, gives you access to almost all subway lines and is convenient to many sites.

I think the Soho/Village area is a great place to be but hotel choices are limited. The financial district is a bit removed, with less restaurants and activity in the evenings.

No one location is near everything. And dozens of locations have great food and are near some attractions. October is a nice time too visit.

ALso check out Affinia.com. They have several hotels, many of which have suites with kitchens. They sometimes have special offers ontheir webstie with some really good deals. Most of their hotels are very nice and in good locations.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Here is the link to my report on my stay at the Rhiga, which has some updated info on the renovations/becoming the London NYC Hotel.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34773242

Not knowing your budget it's hard to say whatyou'd want.
The Michelangelo also has a few suites and we've enjoyed staying there when just hubby and I but I 've seen their suites when a friend stayed and they are updated, lovely, very roomy, great marble baths with separate mirror/dressing area - you might want to check their prices - we've been lucky getting great internet rates from them - then I always follow up witih a phone call to confirm, request other things like the location of room, quiet, etc.

Someone was just inquiring about the Michelangelo, Kimberly et so if you put those hotel names in the search bar you should be able to pop them up.

Have a ball ! (and perhaps a trip to the Cloisters...had to get that in)
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I would also say pick near Times Sq or any of the other options for location, but I wouldn't actually stay in Times Sq- it is much too much noise, confusion, crowded sidewalks etc for my liking - you'll be there anyway for at least a 'walk thru' and hopefully the theater - but the hotels like the Rhiga or Michelangelo, etc are near enough but don't have the noise.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM

No one has mentioned the upper west side (a mid/upscale residential area) which you might want to consider with an 11 year old. Close to Central Park and - with the zoo, lake, etc, and Riverside Park/the Hudson, the Museum of Natural History - which always sems a big hit with kids that age. The Park gives you the chance to do some active things with you kid if you want - boating on the lake, bike riding etc - if nothing but touristy stuff becomes too much.

Also has a lot of good moderate/ inexpensive restaurants right nearby and - excellent transit - with 2 subway lines and multiple bus choices.

The Lucerne is a 3* tht gets god reviews - but there are lots of other choices (you didn;;t mentin your budget).

(As someone has mentioned you can;t find a hotel close to everything in NYC - since everything - even excluding uptown sights like the Cloisters - is spread over a distance of more than 8 miles in length and up to 2 miles in width.

You're best off picking an area you like the look/sound of - then finding a hotel.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:29 AM

I wouldn't stay IN or too close to Times Square...it's so crazy...and wayyyy tooo many chain restaurants!!
NYC is a great walking city; there are lots of midtown hotels that are not necessarily right in the TSQ area.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Having just spent four days in NYC, with a daughter and almost 10 yr old grandson, I can highly recommend the Hotel Metro- on West 35th between 5th and 6th avenues.It serves a continental breakfast which is quite good,and allows you to get out early!Right around the corner from the Empite State,Building, the hotel rooftop has an awesome view of the building- which feels like next door. we loved the virtual ride at the Empire State, and of course the view from the top. Do buy tickets on-line before. We could walk uptown toward Central Park, up 5th ave past the Library with it's two lions, Bryant Park,St. Patrick's, and central Park, the zoo and Belvedere castle and the carousel are all fun.
In Times Square (which he loved), is the huge ToysR us, with the three floor high ferris wheel, the huge roaring dinosaur, and bins full of Legos, you can buy the individual pieces, and not just the whole sets (they have directions for you on how to build the Empire State Bldg.) And of course the billboards. Think he spent a good half hour, reading them as the lights spun around. The Hershey store, where they have kisses coming down the chute(free samples!!) he thought was aces!
The subway to Battery Park, and the ferry for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island is a breeze to use, going north to south. Spend one day downtown, as there is much to do beside the ferry. The Museum of the American Indian is here, the Wall Street bull,several historic houses and the Federal building. South St. Seaport is nearby, and there is a free downtown bus to take you from Battery Park to the other areas downtown. Walk as much as you can. when we got too tired, we either hopped back on the subway, or going from the East River to the Hudson, took a cab. The pedicabs are fun- did that on a Sunday, when the traffic is not so intense.
Be sure and visit Grand Central Station. on Wednesday's, there is a free tour, the website has the details. My grandson was so impressed at the ceiling, and loved the stories the guide had to tell about the station.Your son/daughter might enjoy the Radio City Music Hall tour, which takes you backstage. Times and information are on their website also. On a weekday morning, walking in that area of Rocekefellar Center, there are many mounted police, we thought the reason might be because both Good Morning America, and the Today show broadcast from the area, and there are groups of fans awaiting. The grandson enjoyed talking to the policemen and petting their horses.The Top of the Rock is magnificent at night.
The city seems very safe. We walked in many different areas, with no problems.
I know you'll enjoy it, and it is fun seeing it in the eyes of a child! There are so many restaurants, the one all seemed to enjoy was Virgil's barbecue, right in Times Square. we also enjoyed Blue Smoke, in Union Square, and August in Greenwich village.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

You people are amazing.
Thank you so much for all this.