Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Girls' Weekend in Dallas -- Hotels/Spa Recommendations?

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Seattle, and my friend lives in DC. We're thinking of meeting in Dallas for a weekend (arrive Friday, depart Sunday), and I'm hoping for some recommendations on hotels and/or spas (or hotels with spas are even better!). I doubt either one of us will have a car, so it would be great to have the hotel located within walking distance to some good restaurants/bars.

I found the Hotel Zsa Zsa, but the reviews aren't very glowing in terms of service and room quality. Any other hotels I should consider for a girls' weekend? We'll be traveling in either February or March.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM

The Ritz Carlton has a fine spa. It's a fine hotel with a great restaurant by Dean Fearing. They have a company car that will take you downtown if need be. The Fairmont is close by and offers in room spa treatments by a local well known spa. Both are a few minutes drive from downtown shops.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Littleman. Both were already on my radar, so I'm glad to hear them as recommendations. Will give them a closer look for sure.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Needless Markup in Northpark Mall has a spa, there's a Red Door Salon across the street from Northpark, and the Crescent is a Rosewood Hotel property (if you don't know, google) and has a spa too. Wife preferred the Crescent but likes all three.

The Crescent is in Uptown and on the lively McKinney Avenue - close to the Ritz. Shops in downtown are essentially a nullity -- Dallas is a southern city and its downtown is nearly dead at night and on weekends; far more action in Uptown. You can take the McKinney Ave. trolley to the West Village for more eateries, etc. too.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, BigRuss. A friend just recommended The Crescent to me as well, so I'll definitely look into it. Another recommended hotel was ZaZa.

I appreciate the info...sounds like Uptown is where we would prefer to be. Having the trolley would also be nice since I'm undecided on whether or not we'll have a car!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:58 PM

If you're looking for a hotel with a top notch spa, may I suggest the Gaylord Texan in Grapevine: http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-texan/
Their Relache spa looks really good, and you could actually just stay on property all weekend and not even need a car. They have numerous restaurants on the property, and the Glass Cactus nightclub is GREAT!!

Another thought is the Four Seasons in Las Colinas. http://www.fourseasons.com/dallas/
Prices here will be higher than the Gaylord, and it is a little further away from DFW, so you might need a car.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Oh, one more thing: Grapevine has a Visitor's Shuttle that will take you from the Gaylord to downtown, Grapevine Mills Mall, and several other restaurant and shopping stops. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/Ma...0/Default.aspx
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Christie. The Gaylord looks really interesting, and I'll keep it on my list!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM

I was just at the Gaylord over Christmas for a day trip. Its a great Texas experience without being IN Dallas. If you're wanting a CITY visit, this won't be it.
If you're looking for a get away, just to have treatments, drinks etc, It's great. Lots of restaurants at this resort but all close enough to "bar hop"

Planning on STAYING there next Christmas.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 09:26 AM

I work in the offices at the Crescent complex, and its a beautiful building, right across the street from the Zaza, so convenience is comparable. I associate the hotel with business travel, but I'm sure the rooms are nice and service is great. Zaza is more hip, funky cool rooms, definitely more character. I co-hosted a bachelorette party there in August, and of the 2 suites and 1 normal room we had, all were really nice and comfortable. We tried to bring in lots of coolers and food, which was a no no, but fair enough since they want you to use their food services.

The Gaylord and Four Seasons are really nice I'm sure, but to me that is staying in the burbs. I would consider it for a staycation, but not something to fly across the country for. I did visit the FS spa many years ago, and thought it was amazing, but I just wouldnt' choose to stay in that location.

For walking distance to lots of places, definitely stay in Uptown at Ritz, Crescent, Zaza, or the W is just a mile away so a very short taxi. If you had a car or didn't mind small taxi fares, another I'd recommend is the Palomar. It has Exhale spa and a nice restaurant/bar. Across the street from it at Mockingbird Station are a few dining choices, but its 4 miles from downtown, a couple miles from Northpark (best shopping) and about 1 mile from Henderson Street, which has great restaurants, wine bars, galleries, etc.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional tips. I'll only be there for a short period of time - arrive at midnight on a Friday and depart on Sunday around 6. Gaylord *could* work b/c I think we'll spend most of our time together at the spa or over food. But I do like the convenience of a place like ZaZa should we decide to leave the hotel at any point.

Lots to think about, and I really appreciate all the extra tips.