Garden District B&Bs

Apr 12th, 2003, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Garden District B&Bs

I'm travelling to NOLA in early June. Of the choices of B&Bs in the Garden District, I have it narrowed down to the Grand Victorian and McKendrick-Breaux. Fodors says that the Lower Garden District might be a rougher part of the area (that's where McKendrick-Breaux is). Does anyone know that are on Magazine Street? Also, is St. Charles and Washington a whole lot safer to be in and walk around? I'm from Chicago anyway, so I know how to behave in the "big city", but don't know how seriously to take Fodor's warning.
Apr 12th, 2003, 07:25 AM

St. Charles and Washington is a great area and I know that B&B from a story the local newspaper did on it a few years ago. It was a total top-to-bottom renovation that resulted in a spectactular house.

Don't know about McKendrick-Breaux B&B. Sorry.
Apr 12th, 2003, 02:51 PM

The Grand Victorian is very nice and its close to the streetcar. McKendrick Breau is nice, but its kinda off the beaten path, past city park as I recall.
The Josephine Guest house(lower Garden district) and the Terrell house are also nice uptown B&B's.
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM

We stayed at The Prytannia Park Hotel in the Garden District a few years ago. They have these lovely enclosed courtyards connecting the rooms. A continental breakfast was served each morning in the courtyard. Also, at the time they had free shuttle service to other areas, like french quarter or Riverwalk,etc. The rooms had antiques and nice furnishings. Again, this was several years ago.
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:08 PM

Sorry, just reminiscing...You didn't ask about hotels.
Apr 13th, 2003, 05:34 AM

They are both good choices. McKendrick Breaux is in the Lower Garden District and gets RAVES from Frommers. They are at Magazine and Race. The Grand Victorian is a stunning restoration located o St. Charles Avenue. You could not go wrong with either place.
Apr 13th, 2003, 11:24 AM

At the risk of throwing a wrench into your plans, have you considered staying at a B&B closer to the French Quarter? La Maison Marigny (on the quiet, residential end of Bourbon Street), and B&W Courtyards (at 2425 Chartres in the Faubourg Marigny) both have fabulous reputations and great locations.
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:47 PM

The area surrounding St Charles and Wsshington is quiet lovely, and is home to a number of celebrities.

I will say that I find it oddly amusing that immediately following Faubourg's raves about other B&B's, that someone chimes in with recommendatinos for his place and his friend's place.
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:35 AM

Personally, I would rather spend my visit closer to the Quarter and SusanCS's recommendations are the two I would have chipped into the conversation. Whichever you decide on, I'm sure you'll have fun!