Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > A B&B in Bunratty that closest to the town and fun! Any recommendations?

A B&B in Bunratty that closest to the town and fun! Any recommendations?

Feb 6th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

A B&B in Bunratty that closest to the town and fun! Any recommendations?

We will be leaving at 8:30 a.m. out of Shannon for a long flight home and would like to stay in Bunratty for our last night. (I've read that it's close to the airport and there's a bit of night life)
Is there a B&B that you can recommend that is really close to the town/nightlife? Maybe just a little music and dinner is what were looking for. Our last night of Irishness!

I called Bunratty castle but I think were going to be low on funds at the end of 14 days and it's 190 Euro...a little more than we wanted to spend especially since we have to get up at the crack of dawn and can't really enjoy it. (Looked nice though)

I know there are a lot of B&B's that I've read about here: Park House, Bunratty Lodge, Headley house...what I'm looking for is a suggestion for one that we can walk to town rather than drive??

Feb 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM

We stayed at Ashgrove House with Frank and Sheila Tiernan on our last night. We were easily able to walk to and stumble home from Mac's in the Folk Park. Their B&B is not as elegant as the ones you mentioned, but we greatly enjoyed our stay with them!
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply...we'll check them out!
Feb 6th, 2004, 10:18 AM
LN

Hi

We stayed at Eileen Wolfe's B&B and found it to be great! Comfortable beds, great breakfast, hospitable people. I don't have their number but they're in the Irish B&B book at Bunratty.
Feb 6th, 2004, 01:40 PM

Park House is one of the closest B&Bs to town. I think it is the third closest and the difference between the other two is probably about 75 yards. There are a couple of hotels that are right "in town". It's probably about a 10 minute walk to Bunratty from the Park House. I stayed there and I liked it.

Both Bunratty Lodge and Headly Court are not in walking distance.

Durty Nellie's is the most well known of the pubs there and various "musician" come in and bang on an out of tune piano there. I've never heard a trad group there, but it may happen.

Mac's is in the folk park and is open at night for visitors to the pub. They have music there sometimes. The story is that it is frequented by locals more than Durty Nellie?s. I was at Durty Nellie?s in Nov and there was an apparent Bachelorette party going on as I surmised from woman in the veil and the woman holding the penis flashlight conducting a group of drunken female singers.

Feb 6th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh! that is so funny! They must have been locals???

I emailed Park House and she was so prompt with her reply (and they do have rooms available) that I think that's where we'll stay.
Thanks!

Search this Thread