Best Neighborhood in Which to Stay in NO

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Neighborhood in Which to Stay in NO

Hi All - I will be staying in New Orleans for 4 nights in November. Trying to figure out the best neighborhood in which to stay. I'm going with my mom and aunt, so not looking for a big party vibe, just something that is nice, convenient and safe to come and go at night when we want to eat and see some jazz. Also, I understand that I will be there around the time of the Grambling vs. Southern game. Don't want to get caught up in the chaos of this, so I was told to stay away from Bourbon and Canal St at this time. Any neighborhood/hotel suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!! - Laura
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:05 PM

How about a B&B in the Garden District? This is where I would stay if I was interested in being away from the action. The neighborhood is old with beautiful homes and wonderful treelined streets. If you stay within a couple blocks of St Charles St, you can take the street car down to the French Quarter. At night, you can just take cabs back from wherever you go.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:11 PM

You might also look into some of the bed and breakfasts in the Faubourg Marigny, which is close enough to the French Quarter to walk it during the day, though you might want to cab it at night.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Dan

Marigny's my top choice but book ASAP. My wife's friends are coming in that weekend and had a hard time finding acceptable places as many B&Bs were full. The Garden District is a good choice too although my problem with this area is that some places claiming a GD address really don't have one!

Try the Grand Victorian B&B on St. Charles and Washington. Very elegant and David, the manager, is a nice guy.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 06:30 PM

I still say there are some very nice and QUITE areas of the French Quarter and these allow you much more access to great activities within WALKING distance. Outside of this area may have more cab requirements.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Yes, but getting a room in the Quarter or the Convention Ctr. area on the weekend of the Classic is well-nigh impossible if you've left it this long.

As for the Garden District b&b's, be aware that although the GD is normally perfectly safe for walking in the daytime, night is a different animal. I would advise you to take cabs or drive if you plan to go out at night.