First time in Chicago

Apr 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

First time in Chicago

Anyone has any advice of the most important places to visit in Chicago. I'm a stay at home mother and its my first time in Chicago. Besides visiting the magnificient mile,The Sears Tower, at night I would also like to visit a nice bar with live rock n' roll and have a good time. Oh I'm staying at the Hilton downtown.
Apr 27th, 2005, 06:16 PM

I would hit up some of the museumes, I don't know how long you are staying, or how much you like museums; but the CityPass is a good deal if you want to see them all. It also gets you into the Hancock.
Apr 27th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for answering, I have in ming to visit at least one museum and visit the most important places in town because we are staying only from Thursday morning thru Sunday morning. Another place I have in mind is to see a theater play or something different. I dont get to do a lot since Im a stay at home mother and I need to take advantage. Any suggestions.
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:55 AM

This is the fodor's miniguide to Chicago that lists the highlights:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/[email protected]

Important is a very subjective word. What you consider important to see others might consider a colossal waste of time (and vice-versa). Read the miniguide and do some searching here for ideas. There's plenty to see and do in Chicago, so you won't run out of ideas. But let us know what specifically you want more help with and you'll get much better help.
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:14 AM
cd

Ummmmmmmm, so far in the past couple of months you have asked this same question about Canada and San Francisco, so is it really Chicago?
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:30 AM

Kikis, it looks like you were first undecided where to go on vacation, and Chicago is a great destination if you've decided on it.

First, do a search on this website for past posts on Chicago. You'll find a lot of information.

Strongly, strongly recommend the Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise, if you are coming when it is running.

With your limited time, I'd recommend that you try to go to the Shedd Aquarium (maybe stop at the Field Museum right next door if you have time) and the Art Institute - with a visit to Millennium Park just to the north of the AI.

Instead of the Sears Tower, go to the John Hancock Building and have a drink in the Signature Lounge (on the 96th floor). Better view, in my opinion.

Check out Metromix for information on acts that will be performing when you are here. You can narrow down the search to the type of music as well.

Good luck in your planning.
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:19 AM

When are you going to be here? Grant Park has many music festivals throughout the summer where you can catch some good shows.
Apr 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

I have decided for Chicago and Im going to be in town from May12 thru May 16. Thanks everybody that responded.
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I would suggest a blues club if you want to hear live music. I second the post about the Hancock vs Sears Tower because for the same price of admission to the skydeck at the Hancock or the Sears, you can have a drink at the Hancock (signature lounge) and have the same view. Since you sound like you want to "live it up," for mag mile bars, I would also suggest The Bar at the Peninsula, Le Bar at Sofitel, and the bar at NoMI in the Park Hyatt. RL (adjacent to the Ralph Lauren flagship) is a nice restaurant and bar with excellent food. I would avoid the chains like Cheesecake Factory and Grand Lux that are ubiquitous in that area.
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

ashie30, thanks for the info. what have you hear of Frontera Grill Restaurant. What can you tell me about the Planeterium.
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM

Frontera Grill is fabulous for Mexican food and great margaritas too. It's traditional Mexican, not tex-mex, which is a good thing, but some are surprised when they see the menu. The chef/proprietor is Rick Bayless, of PBS, cookbook, and Burger King commercials fame, and is one of the country's foremost Mexican chefs. The downside to Frontera is that it is always crowded but I believe they take reservations now (you used to have to put in your name, wait 2 hours while getting liquored up on margaritas that went down way too easily). A good back-up to Frontera is Salpicon! on Wells which is also famous for its chef, is a little less crazy but equally good (it is in Old Town, a very nice neighborhood).

As for the Planetarium, it's not my favorite museum. It's fine but not my no. 1 choice. Go if you're into astronomy, but I think the top two museums in Chicago, in order, are: 1) Art Institute and 2) Field Museum. Both places will blow your socks off.
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Aschie30, you got me all excited about Frontera accepting reservations but their website still says reservations for parties of 5-10 only. Topolobampo next door, the more expensive of the two Bayless restaurants, takes reservations. If you want to go to Frontera, I would suggest doing it at a different time than Friday or Saturday night (closed Monday).

The rest of the advice you've received is good, the Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium and the Hancock are three of my favorite places and the Architectural Tour on the Chicago River is excellent.

If you don't want to buy theater tickets before you leave home, you can swing by one of the Hot Tix locations and get 1/2 price same day tickets, on Friday you can get tix from Fri-Sun. Or you can get advance tickets, Second City is always a good option, Blue Man Group is popular or you can check Metromix to see what is currently playing.

Wicked is playing while you are here but that was part of the first batch of tickets and I'd be surprised if much was left. But you can check at Ticketmaster online, don't expect to see those at Hot Tix.
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

ashie30
Thank you for all the information you have mention. I got some questions any suggestions on a bout tour or cruise and any websites of schedules on any music concert going on at Milleum Park.