first time in chicago

Search

first time in chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time in chicago

We'll be in chicago for five days, staying at the Intercontinental on Michigan Ave. We have plans for a Cubs game, any other suggestions. Would like to try pizza pie--where? thanks for the suggestions
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Since this is your first post, I'll give you some advice. At the top of the page is "search". Type Chicago into this and you will get all the information you will ever need. Chicago is a very popular destination (rightly so) and has tons of post with answers. Otherwise, all you are going to get is the same old rehash that we have seen many, many times.

Curious
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Jprange, Curious is right but be sure to post back if you have more questions.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Actually, a search for Chicago pizza isn't a bad idea, but before searching for things to do, I suggest reading the fodors mini-guide to Chicago which can be found by clicking "destinations" at the top of this page. You need to familiarize yourself with the city and what it has to offer, then you'll better be able to understand the other Chicago topics out here, and also better be able to pose more specific questions for us.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Pizza in chicago? You need to go to Lou Malnati's! And add the butter crust! Other things to do, walk around millenium park, see a play, shop, people watch, the museums are fantastic too! Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I just returned from another trip to Chicago. A 1st time visitor last year & can't get enough of the place. It offers so much. xpi6tiva, all good ideas, only touched a tiny portion. Check out the guide books such as Fodor's & Frommer's. You will get a ton of ideas for a five day stay. Then check out this website as Curious mentioned & then toss the Chicago folks your questions that haven't been answered - they are great folks. I am pretty sure you will get several different opinions for pizza places. You will love Chicago. A great walking city - we only used a bus or train for the Museum of Science & Industry & Wrigley Field. Oh yes, definitely see the Cubs - what a ballpark & what terrific fans.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:55 PM

If you do visit several of the museums, there is a City Pass which can be purchased at any of the museums and includes a ticket to each of the Art Institute, the Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry, the Adler Planetarium, the aquarium and the Hancock Tower for about $50 total. I spent several days there last year and this turned out to be a worthwhile purchase.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Kal

Ahhhhhhhhhh..the great "Chi-Pie Debate"!

I'm an old Gino's East fan but they seemed to have lost a bit at the "newer" location. Mrs Kal is a Pizzaria Uno and Giordano's fan...but a good "split the diff" place it the mentioned Lou Malnati's.

Take a Chicago River cruise. Either the Architecture Tour or the one that goes on the river then out on Lake Mich all the way down to Adler/Field Grant Park and back. Wendella's????

Going back in Oct. Can't wait. Great city. Great people.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the praise, Kal. As you know, in Chicago, we always go that extra mile!

Jprange, when will you be here? Maybe we can suggest something a little special for you...
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM

Go to the Hyatt Regency's (Wacker Ave.) "The Big Bar" for a drink when the sun is setting. Beautiful view!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 06:04 PM

I don't mind repeating myself. Gino's East is a tourist trap with lousy pizza. Go for Giordano's.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM

Check out the Navy Pier. The Ferris Wheel gives a good view of the city.
Make a trip up to the Hancock Observation Tour or Sears Tour. Also, across from the Hancock Tour is the visitor center which has 1/2 tickets to lots of shows. You can get them for Second City, Steppanwolf Theatre, etc.