things to do in Chicago in 5 days

Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
things to do in Chicago in 5 days

Hi all, I´m from Barcelona and I will spend 5 days in Chicago in January. I need help about what can I do/visit in Chicago in those dates.

Thanks in advance
Laura
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I will let those who live in Chicago now answer your question about things to see and do. I went to school there many years ago and just wanted to make sure you knew, since you're coming from Spain, that it is very very very cold in Chicago in January.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:02 PM

Click on "Destinations" at top of this site
on my computer it is next to the FODOR'S top left..
Then click on Chicago
It will give you LOTS of info...including what places to go in a 3 day stay..
However, some of the activities may
limited or shut down -on '"winter" schedules
Be sure you take warm clothes--as Nikki advised and some type of head covering..hat-warm scarf and gloves.
Many posters advise dressing in "layers" My first trip to freezing weather I was so concerned about keeping warm--I over did it....I dressed so heavily when I went into
buildings (which were nice and warm) I became over-heated and uncomfortable..So I learned about "layers" the hard way..
What ever you plan don't miss the Art Institute--one of the best Art Museum in the USA.
You will love this city.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Two musts:
*The Art Institute of Chicago, one of the world's best.
*The Field Museum, whose exhibits include Sue, reportedly the world's largest dinosaur skeletal remains.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for your help.
Yess, I know january is not the best time to go to chicago as it´s really cold (I saw "Emergency" on TV) but it´s a big opportunity for me to visit this city. You are right Traveler24, I´m sure I will love it. And The Art institute of Chicago is actually on my list of "to do"... THANKS !!!!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Laura, You have to eat and not too many things beat Chicago style pizza! We like Geno's or Giordano's. Also go to the top of the Sears or John Hancock buildings on a clear day if you have one while you are there. And of course shop a little at WaterTower Place. You will just have to return in the summer time to do the rest of the great things Chicago has to offer!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Dear Laura,

The Shedd's Aquarium is a wonderful place, and we really enjoy the Beluga whale exibit there.

Hope you have a great time! SusanEva
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM
JJ5

Right now the Field Museum has Pompeii artifacts as well.

It would be very much to your advantage to get a City pass. It is going to save you much $$$ in a 5 day period if you go to Art Institute, Field, and one other (Shedd is TOPS)institution of your choice.

If you go to www.metromix.com you might get some help in the City Pass direction. If you go to Marshal Field's on State St. and show them your hotel receipt or anything from out of town, they will give you a free bag of goodies plus sometimes a facial in the makeup dept. etc.

Chicago Architectural Foundation also has many tours- even some short walks etc. You may want to google this to see if you are interested.

Also the Cultural Center on Washington (LOOP downtown) will also give you access to a greeter/guide if you feel you would like to go that route. A good downtown/Michigan Ave./Watertower/ River North map is all you really need to have fun.

On the search feature here do: Chicago food downtown and see lots of recent recs from posters.

Welcome, and don't worry about the cold. Shops have many long coats if you have the need, you could hit the After Christmas sales.

I would love to go to Barcelona myself.
Have fun and hit at least one good steakhouse. There are lots of them, in a varied price range- so don't think you have to hit Gibson's or break the bank at the most $$$.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Laura_spain, here are some things I'd recommend "must do" on those cold Chicago days and nights:

The museums have already been mentioned: Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum. Each one of these have discounted or free days during the week - check the City of Chicago's website to see when each is. Also, please take advantage of any special discussions by museum personnel - knowledge is power!

The City of Chicago sponsors special offerings each weekend in January - while you are checking out the above, look at that as well on their website and what is happening where.

The Chicago Jazz Ensemble performs January 20 at the Symphony Center. One of the best jazz ensembles in the nation.

The Chicago Cultural Center (Michigan/Randolph) has free entertainment every day - free live music on Tuesdays and Fridays. Make sure you see the Tiffany dome and mosaic walls.

Ice skating at Millennium Park - especially beautiful in the evening when the city lights are surrounding you (IF it's not too, too cold)!

Visit one of our famous blues or jazz places. Buddy Guy usually is at his place during the month of January. Have a jazz lunch at Andy's (no cover charge for the music). The Jazz Record Mart (Wabash/Hubbard) usually has free performances on weekends. And, one of our most famous venues, The Green Mill in Uptown was frequented by Al Capone - great place to catch an act and the world-famous Poetry Slam (on Sunday nights).

Theatre/Dance/Music: For theatre, there are so many offerings from which to choose, everything in theatre from Broadway to experimental - check Metromix and the Chicago Reader online for what's happening when you are here--especially look at the critic's picks. And for discounted day of performance, look at what Hottix locations may have available. For dance, look at the offerings at the Auditorium Theatre or Irving B. and Joan Harris Theatre (at Millennium Park). For opera, the Civic Opera Building (note: even though the performance may be sold out, tickets are often turned back into the box office by season ticketholders and resold the day of performance.) And don't forget the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre at Navy Pier or the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.

Comedy: Second City, Zanies, the I/O (fka Improv Olympic)-the last go on Monday night.

Sports: hit a sports bar when one of the teams are playing. Remember to wear your (meaning our) team's jersey (or hat) and you will soon have made lots of new friends! Maybe you'd like take the El to one of the sports bars up in Lincoln Park or around Wrigley Field.

The Hothouse on Balbo has great international acts.

If you are here on January 27, it is Mozart's 250th birthday party at the Harris Theatre mentioned above--music, birthday cake and champagne to celebrate. (Caveat: don't know if any tickets are still available for this--I know they were almost sold out a couple of weeks ago.)

See, five days aren't nearly enough for all there is to experience--hope you have fun deciding!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Laura_spain, just realized that I may have given you a bit of incorrect information. With respect to the free or discounted days at the museums, you'll need to check the specific museum's website to be certain if they will still have them after the new year.

I believe the Art Institute may still be free on Tuesdays then, but it doesn't look like the Shedd or the Field might continue these after the holidays. If not, I do apologize.

However, in bringing up this issue, I also wanted to mention that the City of Chicago website is a good place to research all of the museums Chicago has to offer.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 05:51 AM
JJ5

The Chicago Cultural Center that I have found helpful is at 10 E.Washington.

If you are staying at a hotel in the downtown, Mag. Mile general area you may want to ask there, or call ahead of time to see if they can snag you some theatre tickets.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 05:54 AM
JJ5

Another index listed it at 78 E. Washington- same block. But I have found that they can answer many questions, even the most seemingly obscure there.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

THAAAAANKS .... really appreciatted.
TURISTA: I will be thinking about returning in summer, for sure 5 days are not enough.
SUSANEVA: The Aquarium is already on the list.
JJ5: thx for the weblink. If you have plans to visit Barcelona and need some info, you know where I am.
EXILEDPRINCESS: Bingo!! I love jazz and also sports. I promise I will not forget YOUR team jersey or/and hat.

THANKS AGAIN AND GREETINGS FROM BARCELONA (and sorry for my english)
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Hi,
All the museums listed are a must. So is shopping on Michigan Avenue and Oak Street! Also, my new favorite restaurant in Chicago is called Japonais. It has great sushi and it has a very nice atmosphere.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 12:26 PM

If interested in Chicago's ethnic foods and neighborhoods, you might want to check out this site:

http://www.ethnic-grocery-tours.com
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 07:16 AM
JJ5

It seems like we are in for a very, very cold winter- but our BEARS (football, USA type) are going to be in the playoffs during Jan. You may see lots of those hats, coats etc. around.
It's orange and dark blue combo.

We are Bears mad, last night my sons were out in 2 to 7 degree F. temperatures with a wind chill that made if much under zero. I really hope it warms up at least 15 to 20 degrees for your visit.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael, I will have a loot at it

JJ5: ohhh my God, it seems that it´s really really REALLY cold there but don´t panic!! I´m sure that my orange and blue hat and myself will survive ;-)
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Be certain to buy a book of tickets at the 1st museum. You will save only a few dollars but the book will allow you to avoid standing in ticket lines at every other museum. Plan a lot of time for Science Museum, Field Museum was like visiting a taxidermist! We stayed 1 block off of Michigan Avenue and used public transportation to get everywhere. Great place to visit - enjoy!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

KateS ... good point .... Thanks
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Laura_Spain...Sounds like you are young (while I am old) but I think you've gotten good ideas on a Chicago visit...where I was born. Yes, the world famous museums incl. Art Institute for sure. Some theatre possibibilities: Second City, Steppenwolf Theatre, Gene Siskal Film Theatre in the Loop. Of course various musical offerings depending on when you come. And many ethnic restaurants anytime you come. Chicago is a busy place.

Been to Salamanca, etc. but not Barcelona.
ozarksbill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -