Epcot for senior citizens

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epcot for senior citizens

My parents are heading to Epcot for the first time and asking for my advice on how many days they should allow to fully enjoy their visit. It's been about 7 years since I've been, and had kids in tow, so I'm not sure that I would have accurate advice.
Assuming that they are only interested in visiting the countries, don't you think that one full day would suffice?
Any specific advice to pass on to them about Epcot that they should know?
Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Depnds on what they plan to do - even if they just stick to World Showcase. Will they be dining at one of the sit down restaraunts? Taking in all of the movies/exhibits? Illuminations? shopping/browsing through the shops?
What type of pace do they move at?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Also, check out this forum http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2 You can search Epcot or ask specific questions. I believe they even have a board for Disney without kids.
If they are going during the Flower & Garden Festival, I am jealous.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:03 PM

World Showcase will open around 11 a.m. and will stay open until Illuminations at 9 p.m.

There are boat rides in Mexico and Norway; movies in Canada, France, and China; a multimedia production in America, and exhibits everywhere - not to mention shopping, eating, and people-watching. In addition, many of the live performances in World Showcase are great - the Japanese drummers are outstanding. It's a pretty full day if they do all of these things.

Epcot is HUGE, so they'll need really comfortable shoes!

When are they going? Epcot has special events throughout the year.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies mom2boys and dsquared. I'll have to check out that Disney forum for them.
I believe they will be going there in a week or two, so it looks like they'll miss the Flower & Garden show...too bad! If I'm correct, nothing special is going on at that time.
They are in fairly good shape and move around well for their age.
You've given them a lot to consider when planning their trip. Thanks for the list of possibilities for them. Sounds like they have a little research and decision making to do!
Thanks again!
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:06 PM

The hardest decision I face at Epcot is where to eat! Here are a few of my favorites:

Bistro de Paris - good seafood, although my husband swears by the lamb.

Le Cellier in Canada - a steakhouse, but they serve other things as well, all of them good.

The food is so-so, but I enjoy the Biergarten - it can be a lot of fun if there's a good crowd.

There are some great counter-service places in Epcot, too, starting with the Boulangerie Patisserie in France. The pastries are fantastic. Then there's the Tangerine cafe in Morrocco - I like their vegetarian platter - and the Kringla Bakery Og Cafe in Norway which has terrific open faced sandwiches.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I second Le Cellier in Canada... forget the steak...can you say creme brulee?
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Two days would be really nice. There is so much to see and a lot of what makes Epcot World Showcase so special are the performances. http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/ gives the entertainment schedule.

There are several things in Future World that they would probably enjoy. "Soarin'" is fantastic and not intense - it's like a big round IMAX screen of scenes from California. They may enjoy the Ellen's Energy Adventure and "The Land" and "The Living Seas" may interest them. "Honey I shrunk the Audience" is a fun 3-D movie. Your dad might enjoy "Mission Space" since he was probably growing up during the Space race. Our seven year old went on Mission Space. The they may enjoy "Spaceship Earth" (the golf ball) - it's not intense at all. They'll want to see the evening fireworks show "Illuminations".

Some acts they may enjoy are: Krystos (sort of Cirque Du Soliel type balancing act), the Chinese Acrobats (china Pavillion), the Drummers in Japan - maybe the candy artist too. There are folk singer type performances in both Canada & Norway, I think. The World Showcase Players perform fun skits in both U.K. & Italy. The Servier Amusant (spelling?) is a fun comic balancing act in France. These don't even include the American Adventure or the Circle-Vision movies. They may enjoy the Voices of Liberty. I always love the Celtic Rock sound of Off-Kilter in Canada, but that might not be their thing.

We've been to Epcot several times and there are still a few acts we're still hoping to see for the first time.

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:00 PM

We were in Epcot a couple of weeks ago; I REFUSE to label myself as a senior, and wish we had taken 2 days to see it all. There are things like sidewalk performers that you just "happen" upon, and can slow down your trek. Agree with fellow posters about Canada Cellier, French bistro, and the biergarten can be a lot of fun . Many years ago also enjoyed the Norwegian buffet. So the answer to the question is: two days if possible
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM

How senior are they - and how active? I went with my parents as young seniors - late 60's - and it took us most of 2 days - but we did the whole thing - not just the various countries.

And if your parents are older seniors - or not great/fast walkers it could take more than a day just to do the countries (older senors may want more/longer rest stops).
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:06 AM

If I recall correctly from my nth trip last August, there are buses and boats that provide transportation around Epcot. And if they need a break from the crowds they could stroll over or take the boat to the Boardwalk. There are more shops and restaurants there.