Search

Epcot, Universal, or MGM?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Epcot, Universal, or MGM?

Hello,

My fiancee and I are going to the Orlando area in August. We only have time to see visit one major park. Of these three, which one do you recommend for two late twenties adults?
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:00 PM

Epcot. The world showcase is great as well as the many other exhibits. I personally don't think there's enough at MGM to hold a full day's interest. Haven't been to Universal for many years. I know they've expanded.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:55 AM

Of all the parks Epcot is the best for adults.. At most of the others children rule - in terms of both the attractions and the number of folks. Epcot requires more thought and understanding so there are fewer tiny ones - and there is actually some interesting/informative stuff to do.

the only thing really irritating is all the folks who keep saying that Disney's faux whichever country is exactly like the real country. Of course none of them are - they're just ethnic shopping malls - but a few of the countrys have something worthwhile - see the moves at France and China for examples.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:22 AM
emd

I like Epcot alot also, but it depends on what you like. Do you want thrill rides? You won't get much of that at Epcot (Test Track; Mission Space but that one has major centrifugal force and is not good for those w/motion sickness). The rest of Epcot is more of a psuedo-cultural experience, walking from country to country. Great dining there- if you go, choose places to dine for lunch or dinner and make priority reservations now. Islands of Adnventure is great for thrill rides, and innovative 3D rides like Spiderman. Personally I would not spend my one and only day at MGM or the regular Universal park- but you might like those, I have no way of knowing.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:42 AM

Go to Epcot! Eat at Canada's restaurant- one of the best meals I've ever had.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would help if you would tell us what type of attractions interest you. I personally enjoy Islands of Adventure at Universal more than the other parks you have mentioned. The theming is fantastic and the rides are also. You could also stroll over to City Walk while you're there and enjoy the shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:25 AM

Epcot - go with an appetite....the food in World Shocase is great. Pick a country, make 7PM dinner reservations and enjoy the fireworks outdoors at 9 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 06:07 AM

Just went to Epcot last month for the first time sice 1986...We spent most of our time in the World Showcase...Made lunch reservations for Japan which was WONDERFUL ! and probably spent 2 hours there...they have extensive displays/gift shop areas with beautiful clothes, imported goods, dishes, etc. we enjoyed browsing through there very much...The shops, food, and movies some countries have, etc. are really neat, we had dinner in Norway which was good. Stop at a guest desk and make reservations for lunch or dinner if you want a specific place...we even called a couple days before...Epcot is very educational which I liked...Universal Islands of Adventure is pretty darn cool also but in a different way...It has the best rides and you can wander around so many different areas and see different things..Dr. Suess, Marvel comics,Jurassic park, etc. themes are prevelant here...more action I would say...I would choose between those 2 I think...
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:00 AM

I'm the odd one. I'll have to say Universal Studios. Next would be MGM. I really enjoyed Universal Studios. Been there twice and had a ball. You may want to consider Island of Adventure. They have great thrill park rides.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:11 AM

Ithink people someetimes focus too much on the World Showcase at EPCOT. For me the "topic" rides and exhibits are much more interesting - especially love the dinosaur ride at the energy pavilion - but some of the others are fascinating as well. The Sea is another favorite.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 08:24 AM

Universal all the way. I've been to all 3, and I rank them Universal/IOA, MGM, then Epcot. Not even a competition in my eyes. Universal is the hands down winner. You'll have better food with City Walk. More things to do for adults, and an overall better time. I'm glad to answer any questions too.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:03 AM
emd

As you can see, fast200, you are goign to get all kinds likes/dislikes and opinions- that's why all the parks are successful. Read about the parks and decide what you want to get out of it and what you want your experience to be. Then you can decide.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:35 PM

Pete: Considering visiting Orlando next month for a long weekend. Have two teens who would like to do Universal--where would you suggest staying? Would like somewhere VERY convenient since it won't be a long stay, and somewhere fun or interesting for teens. We may also visit Epcot but not sure yet. We have already been to MK and MGM.

Also, if we were to stay at a resort in DisneyWorld, which one would be most convenient to Universal?

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:43 PM

If you like rollercoasters, go to Universal Adventure Island.
Old May 29th, 2004, 08:10 PM
RB1

We've been to Disney/Epcot/Universal last yr, we are around your age and enjoyed all three for different reasons.
Universal - is a rollercoaster adventure
Epcot - more stimulating intellectually- to see all the science exhibits - you become fascinated by topics u've never thought you would (I really enjoyed the agriculture ride, go figure), plus the world showcases have great restaurants and very enjoyable rides and attractions.
Disney - to become a kid again (we had LOTS of fun there too). I even cajoled my husband to get on the Peter Pan ride - we both had a blast!!

I would suggest talking with your fiancee and choosing what you both prefer for a fun day (I'm not a big rollercoaster lover, so for me epcot was the best themepark, I'm not sure my husband would agree, though
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:20 AM

FRANNY K.,
Your teens would LOVE the Hard Rock Hotel which is one of the on site hotels at Universal. By staying at an on site hotel you get automatic express entrance to all attractions by showing your room key. Can't get much more convenient than that. It's also just about a five or ten minute walk from the Hard Rock Hotel to the parks.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:08 AM

Maybe this will tip the scales for you (since you're in your late 20s): at Epcot you can DRINK from country to country! (Have a Harp beer in Ireland, a margarita in Mexico, etc!) That's what we usually do Not sure that they sell alcohol in the other parks.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:59 AM

Thanks Schmerl. The HardRock does look perfect for my teens. My dilema is we can stay in any Disney hotel for a huge discount because a relative works for WDW this summer--BUT from everything I've been reading Universal is better for teens than WDW. Seems like Epcot would be the only worthwhile WDW park for them. And it seems if you want to avoid long lines at Universal you need to stay in a Universal hotel. Not sure what to do now!
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:43 PM

Go to www.disboards.com and scroll to the Universal Forums. There is information there on how to get discounts at the Universal hotels. You could also use the express pass machines (much like WDW fast pass)--OR you can buy an express plus pass which gives you one express access to each major ride. The cost of these for a family is sometimes more than getting an onsite room for a night.