Disney & Universal for Adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are taking a trip to Orlando later this week (two adults -30s - no kids). We've already planned going to Cirque on Friday night and we would like to do one day at Disney World and another day at Universal or Islands of Adventure. Since we only plan to do one, which is more recommended - IOA or Universal? As for Disney, we'll be going to the Magic Kingdom. We'd love to get recommendations for things to do there in one day. Also, which is more fun - City Walk or Pleasure Island? Any great dinner recommendations (less chain, more unique?). Thanks in advance!!
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:47 PM
GoTravel

Disney does that wonderful feel and Universal/IOA does that wonderful thrill.

Since I love thrill rides, Islands of Adventure. Can you stay on property? Your room key gets you in a special line that makes the wait time almost non-existent.

Also, this time of year, IOA/Universal may have a pay for one day, get in the next day free promotion. Call and see. If that is the case, you may cut Disney out all together.

At Disney, if possible, stay on property. For great discount codes, go to www.mousesavers.com. I once got the Disney All Star Music for $49 per night from a code from mousesavers.com.

Have you been to Disneyworld before? With no kids, my husband and I love Epcot the best. We start the day with the stuff on the educational side and then finish the day with cocktails around the world at the World Showcase. The World Showcase is the best place to see the fireworks.

Hope this helps.

Old May 11th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree on going to Islands of Adventure. GREAT park and one of the best restaurants around is right in the park--MYTHOS--wonderful food, atmosphere and service. Not at all what you'd expect in a theme park.
Old May 20th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Either Universal (more classic rides) or IOA both great fun for adults too. But why Magic Kingdom - that's the one I would avoid for sure, especially when going without the kids - it's full of everyone else's little ones crying in the heat, etc. and more geared up for the youngsters. Not that I'm critising others children because we all know what its like dragging liitle ones about Disney - but why when you don't need to. Is there no chance you can get to Busch Gardens - my family thinks it beats them all, well worth the journey.

Restaurants - do you mean at Disney? If not, The Outbacks hard to beat, great steaks! Try the Bloomin Onion for a starter - it's brill.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 08:52 AM

I'd definitly go for Islands of Adventure. Great thrill rides. Honestly, I would skip Magic Kingdom. I prefer MGM Studios. Magic Kingdom in my opinion is more kiddy. I don't have kids either and prefer MGM studios or Animal Kingdom. I love Island of Adventure and Universal Studios.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM

I would recommend Islands of Adventure, if you love thrill rides. The Incredible Hulk Roller Coaster, Spiderman (not really a thrill ride, but one of the best rides ever), Dueling Dragons, Jurassic Park, etc. I agree that Mythos is a great place to eat in IOA.

You may want to rethink the Magic Kingdom, unless you have never been there. If you've never been, then I think it's a must even as adults.

If it's not your first time, you may enjoy MGM Studios or even EPCOT more than MK. At MGM, you have Tower of Terror and Rockin Rollercoaster - both big fun. We also enjoy 50's Primetime Cafe or SciFi for lunch or dinner.

At EPCOT there is Test Track, Mission Space (if you're up to it), Spaceship Earth, etc. Let's face it, you can't really make a mistake.

If you decide to do Universal Studios rather than IOA, there is much to enjoy there as well. Men In Black is fun, Shrek in 4D is great and the new Mummy ride is supposed to be awesome.

I have never been to Pleasure Island, but we have eaten at Citywalk several times. We have enjoyed the Hard Rock Cafe, Magaritaville and Emeril's. We also had a wonderful dinner at Emeril's Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal (walkable from the parks). This is a fabulous place to eat.

Enjoy your trip - sounds like fun.

By the way, the Cirque show (LaNouba) is fantastic. We've seen it twice!

Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:24 AM

At Magic Kingdom - take the three big rollercoasterspace mountain, big thunder mountain and splash mountain. Don't miss Alien Encounter. Then, for classic Disney, go to the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Hall of Presidents, whatever strikes your fancy in Fantasyland, BuzzLightyear and Carousel of Progress. For dinner, try Tony's on the town square - make a reservation if possible and use their front porch or sidewalk to see the Electrical Light Parade followed by the nightly fireworks. We love all of the Disney Parks for different reasons. If you don't want to the rides, I'd say go to Epcot. If you don't want to spend a full day, go to the Studios and/or Animal Kingdom.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 09:58 AM

I might be wrong...but I BELIEVE Alien Encounter is closed.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:09 AM

Oh...for restaurants. I recommend Bahama Breeze (great food, fun atmosphere and music) for off-site, Wolfgang Pucks (Butternut Squash soup, their Salmon dish and those Martini's-YUM) at Pleasure Island and if you decide to go to Epcot (which is the best park after Magic Kingdom, IMO) go to Canada's restaurant, Le Cellier (call for priority seating). BTW, since Cirque is at Pleasure Island...yes, I'd pick it over CityWalk...you'll be right there anyway.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:57 AM

Don't know anything about Universal, but my husband and I had a great time at Disney's Epcot Center. We went to Epcot first thing in the morning - went on the space ride that gets so packed (if being spun around in an enclosed space in the dark makes you throw up, like me, good to avoid), the car ride and then in the heat of the mid-day, went to the pool at our hotel (we stayed on property at the Beach Club). Then we went back to Epcot, had dinner at the French restaurant (even though that restaurant is said to have faded - we loved it). Watched the fireworks, then went strolling on the Boardwalk until we were ready to go home and pass out. We also ate one time at the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk which had excellent food. Another thing to know, MGM Studios is linked to Epcot by boat - very convenient. We were there longer (I went to the Spa at the Grand Floridian while he went golfing) but you might take these suggestions into consideration. If you just really need to go to the Magic Kingdom, a great thing to do is to get reservations at the California Grill at the top of the Contemporary. Hard to get! But if you can, get reservations around 9 PM and you'll be able to watch the Magic Kingdom Fireworks from the restaurant. Of course, the "Wishes" show is really wonderful to catch from the Main Street USA area. If you're on a really tight budget and want to stay on property, we've stayed at Fort Wilderness and camped in a tent, brought a blow-up mattress to sleep on. Only $50 a night!
Old May 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM

I'd pick Island of Adventure. Awesome theme park. Lots of great rides. I'd also skip Magic Kingdom. Much prefer MGM Studios. Now I've been to Pleasure Island and had a great time. Loved the comedy club and jazz club. Cirque show was awesome too. I recommend going and getting your tickets early. Show will sell out. Lots to do and see in Orlando. It'll be fun!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great input. We're back and had a wonderful time. Just a few notes on our trip: On our first day we decided to go to IOA. When we got to the park we noticed a 2-park, one-day deal for $75, which we decided to do, along with the $15 express line ticket. What a great decision!! We didn't spend more than 10 minutes on any line and got the best of both parks. We even made it on a test ride of the Mummy, which wasn't scheduled to open for another week. Both IOA and Universal were fantastic. We had so much fun on every single ride, including the Dueling Dragons, which made feel completely sick...what a ride!! Mythos was so yummy! Thanks for the recommendation. Nouba that night was absolutely magical. The day was perfect (including the weather!). Only thing I wish we had done differently is to have done the Disney park first. We decided to do Epcot instead of the Magic Kingdom, and although it is catered more for adults, it was so tame after spending a day at the Universal Parks. Even the Mission: Space ride was a little of a bummer. Had we done Epcot first, I think we would have enjoyed it more. Dinner at Emeril's was also delicious. Thanks again for all the great recommendations. For someone who never would have imagined a trip to Orlando w/out kids, I had the best time!
Old May 24th, 2004, 03:34 AM

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for your report!
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you had a good time. DId you eat at Emerils at City Walk, or Tchop Chop at the Royal Pacific? Haven't been there yet, so as of now, Mythos is my favorite restaurant at Universal.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Schmerl: We ate at Emeril's at City Walk. Ended up sitting by the bar (but at a table) since we didn't have reservations, but the ambiance was still amazing. Probably also some of the very best service I've ever encountered. Never thought I'd find such good food in an amusement park city.

Thanks again for all the feedback!