Universal studios or Disneyland?

Jul 8th, 2005, 08:14 AM
dfo
Original Poster

Universal studios or Disneyland?

Only enough time to do one park!! Should we do Disneyland or Universal? Kids are 14 and 17 and last went to DisneyWorld/Universal in Florida when they were 5 & 7. Thanks!!
Jul 8th, 2005, 09:02 AM

If they're not under the spell of the Mouse, I think your kids would like Universal better. Not so much for the rides and other attractions as much as for City Walk, outside Universal's front gate. But, for those ages, I'd recommend Six Flags Magic Mountain ahead of both Universal and Disney.

Jul 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM
lvk

I agree with Beachbum, especially since they have already done Universal & Disney. Much better thrill rides at Six Flags!
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM

It all depends on what your kids are like. Are they in to Disney and the whole Disney scene? For the most part, most teens aren't into Disneyland because it's too "tame" or too "kiddy" for them. I agree with the other posts that they might have a better time at Universal or Magic Mountain.

But if it's been that long since they've been to Disney World, you might want to consider Disneyland, especially with the somewhat new California Adventures and since they're celebrating their 50th anniversary.
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:23 AM

Toss up...Magic Mountain if they're into more thrill rides (but not much else) but Disneyland for a really great day! (Disneyland is much better and easier to see in a day than Disneyworld). I think Universal Studios would be my last choice.
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM

I just asked my 16 yr. old son if he liked Universal or Six Flags-I couldn't believe it , but he said Six Flags! He has not been to Disneyland. In Florida I know w/o a doubt that he prefers Universal over Disney ever since he has been a teenager. Better rides, but we were just at both of these parks here in CA last summer. CityWalk is good for movies, restaurants etc. Watch out for the beds at the Hilton next to Universal-I never complain regarding this, but woke up with sore back everyday!
Jul 8th, 2005, 11:49 AM

We did Magic Mountain, Knott's Berry Farm, & Universal, among alot of other things, over a 10 day SoCal vacation at the end of June. We left Disney out this time. My boys are 13 & 17. We spent 2 days at Magic Mountain, because we have Six Flags season passes. But we did not really spend the days there. During the day in that part of the valley it was getting up to a hot, humid 105 degrees.(at the same time, the high in Santa Monica was about 75 degrees.) We went for openning at 6 Flags then left at about 2:30pm, went back to the hotel, & went back to the park about 6pm. It wasn't nearly as hot at either Knott's or Universal. The kids liked 6flags the most, because of the rides, with Knott's a close second, then Universal. Not to say they didn't like Universal, they did enjoy it, but not as much as the other 2. We have been to Universal a few times before, but this time the 17 year old really got into everything that was going on at that park & he really enjoyed it more than in the past.
Jul 8th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Just came from Universal in LA last week with my 17 year old. She LOVED it! We got the VIP tickets, which I HIGHLY recommend. They are pricey, but worth every penny! If your kids are into movies, they will love it. Plus, they have roller coasters, water rides, etc. It was a great experience. Your kids might be too old for Disneyland...just a thought. Universal is fun because you also get a tram tour, to see how movies are made, prop houses, sets (including the set from War of the Worlds, the new T.Cruise movie) Again...if you can swing it....go for the VIP tour. It's worth every penny!
Have a blast! I'm certain your kids will have fun whatever you decide to do!

Andiamo
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Unless your kids seem excited by Disney, I'd say they are too old also. But I have an adult friend who likes to leave the kids home and go alone, so only you can say. I haven't been to Universal in a few years, but I was really disappointed and it was only really a 1/2 days worth of stuff. They have added quite a bit in the past couple of years, though, so maybe it's more impressive now. I'd do a water park. We did Wild Rivers for the first time last summer and had a blast.
Jul 8th, 2005, 05:16 PM
aggiemom

We lived in Anaheim (Hills) almost 20 years. Disney - I also think your kids may be a little too old to get the most out of it.

I second the others who suggested Knott's Berry Farm (yes, cooler than at Magic Mountain) and Magic Mountain.

I've been to Universal several times but I still think it's kind of hokey. We did get selected to "make a TV show" one time and that was fun. But for thrill rides Knott's and Magic Mountain are it.

Jul 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM
aggiemom

PS: Didn't see the "Wild Rivers" suggestion - good one!

Also, my daughter was at Disneyland last week and it was very crowded because of 50th anniversary - almost 70,000 in the park that day. (30,000 is usually enough for you to get some good long lines.) It's now up to $65 a day which may also be a consideration. (Lucky as we are, our best friend's daughter is part of the Disney cast and got them in for free! My daughter said she was glad that she didn't have to pay. They got on 4 rides the whole day.)

Jul 11th, 2005, 04:10 AM

Question from downunder...where is 6 flags ?
Jul 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Six Flags Magic Mountain is in Valencia, CA-- north LA County, about 37 miles north of Santa Monica (as a point of reference).
Jul 11th, 2005, 08:47 AM

I agree that it depends alot on the kids. Waaaay back when I was a kid, and then a teenager and well into my 20's I was hooked on Disneyland and went as often as possible, several times a year. A friend of mine even celebrated his 40th b-day there with a big party at the Disneyland Hotel and day passes for the partygoers to Disneyland where he staged a scavenger hunt all over the park (THAT was lots of fun, even at our advanced age!). I still like to go every few years or so during the off-season. That being said I can't speak for your kids and their likes and dislikes. If they love thrill rides go with Magic Mountain, although it's farther out and much hotter in the summertime. Univeral Studios is a little hokey but lots of fun, especially if you like movies and TV -- but I second Andiamo on doing the VIP tour. It's expensive (about $149 pp) but in the summertime it's the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. You get a much better tour, a smaller group and you don't have to wait in line in the heat to get on the rides. But the VIP tour seems to sell out quickly so buy ahead of time if you go at https://tickets.universalstudios.com...re_secure2.jsp
Jul 11th, 2005, 08:50 AM

By the way, I forgot to mention -- if you go to that website to buy the VIP tickets, once you've selected the Hollywood, CA one you need to select "Single Day Tickets" to get to where the VIP passes are.