Search

Hawaii Lava Flows

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawaii Lava Flows

Message: Going to Kona in about a month. My kids really enjoy up-close views of the hot lava. The park ranger told us last time we were there that the most spectacular view of the lava is when it actually makes it to the ocean, which is an on again off again thing. But, assuming it is flowing to the ocean, are there charter boats out of Hilo or elsewhere that go for a viewing or is the water too rough? Can you see much just looking from the edge of the cliffs? We don't mind long hikes, but I wouldn't spend the $$ for a helicopter ride for four.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:59 PM
bonniebroad

Best info on the volcano and lava flow:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/lava.htm#where

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Kal

Ooops...Thought you were posting a special recipe for the drink.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:46 PM

A less-expensive alternative to the helicopter is an air tour on a small plane. We did that with Mokulele Flight Service out of Kona and we were VERY happy with it! It was about $200 each, compared to over $300 each for the helicopter.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:01 PM
bonniebroad

Sorry, Kal! It's all your fault....... I couldn't resist! You made me do it!

LAVA FLOW:

Lava Flow is quickly becoming the favorite Hawaiian drink.

Ingredients:

1 oz Light rum
1 oz Malibu rum
2 oz Strawberries
1 Banana, ripe but not overripe
2 oz Pineapple juice unsweetened
2 oz Coconut cream

Preparation: Blend strawberries and the two rums in a blender into a smooth paste. Pour the paste into a hurricane glass. Rinse the blender. Blend banana, coconut cream, and pineapple juice in blender until smooth. Pour this mixture into the glass with the rums SLOWLY. The strawberry/rum mix should creep up the sides of the glass to make a wonderful looking (and tasting) summertime cocktail!

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Kal

Cheers!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

You may be in luck. Reports are that the lava is flowing to the sea again--with any luck it will be that way in a month. I've never heard of any boats being able to go where you can see the flow--too risky, I'd imagine, with theheat and sulphur created by the flow hitting the water. But much of the time you can walk to where you can see the flow--often from the bottom of Chain of Craters Road in the park. first thing you do in the morning, go to the visitor center at the park--there will be rangers there and they will fill you in on the best place to see the flow. I'm told that, right now, there's more rangers down at the bottom of chain of craters road directing people to the best viewing point. They weren't doing that last month when I was there, but then the view of the flow was a healthy hike--about 5 miles (which is tougher than it sounds when you're going over lava fields). A couple of years ago, the rangers not only were directing people to the flow (which was only about a mile out), but I walked with one out to it: it was first thing in the morning and he was laying the little yellow flags that mark the path to the flow. These rangers are unbelievably knowledgeable, and happy to share their knowledge, so do ask them questions.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:40 PM
jetset1

Bonniebroad~ You are too good to be true- I've wanted that recipe ever since I read about it on these boards!
So between the peach crisp and this, I nominate you for Most Valuable Fodorite of 2004. Will anyone second the nomination? Cheers, J.

Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:50 PM
bonniebroad

You've put a big smile on my face, Jetset1! My pleasure, for sure...........

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:40 AM

this sight has updates on the lava flow (from a visitor's perspective) on the front page:
www.arnottslodge.com

Taking a fixed-wing flight over the lava would be significantly cheaper from Hilo than Kona.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:43 AM

I'll second that!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:17 AM

I too vote for bonniebroad for Fodorite of the year 2004! SHe's so knowledgeable and helpful!

You got my vote!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM
bonniebroad

Hush, ya'll! You are too kind! (Alas, I fear that I am a "fattening" Fodorite......... )

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:11 PM

My husband and I are also going to the Kona area in July. How funny. Just checking this site on referrel from a friend as to the best attractions.