Helicopter ride on the Big Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I will be honeymooning in Hawaii this summer(Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island) and would like to take a helicopter ride. We were thinking of doing it on the Big Island over Volcano National Park. Has anyone done this -- is it worth it? What's the approx. price, how long does it last, and how safe is it? Any websites or experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:33 AM

I've never taken a helicopter tour, but hope that this info that I found on a website will help you:

Blue Hawaiian Helicopters Big Island:
Kohala Coast Adventure (45-50 min, Kona) Many consider this area to have the most spectacular scenery on the Big Island. The towering sea cliffs open into the dramatically deep and meandering valleys of the Kohala Mountains. Beautiful waterfalls cascade thousands of feet into the rainforest below and remnants of ancient Hawaiian settlements are still visible. $173.17 per person

Paradise Helicopters:
The Hawaii Experience (2 hours, Kona): Ascend the slopes of Hualalai between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea to witness Kilauea?s current volcanic activity. You?ll return via lush tropical rainforests and emerald green valleys with incredible waterfalls gently cascading from the sky. $364.08 per person.

Aloha
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM

We just did this 9 days ago. If you can swing it, (and I think you really have to- who knows when you'll get another chance?) Take the Big Island Spectacular with Blue Hawaiian. It's $800 for the two of you. You can get a discount for booking over 14 days in advance. Their equipment is state-of-the art. Their safety record is the best. They were SO full of "Aloha spirit!" (I thought I'd be scared, but I wasn't the slightest bit nervous by the time we actually got into the aircraft.) The Big Island Spectacular is the 2 hour trip. You get the volcano AND the waterfalls. There's a short pit stop in Hilo. Ask to be in one of David's groups. He's been doing this for 17 years, was really great, and knows the history, geology, and geography that makes his narration so worthwhile. When you're done, you HAVE to buy the tape, of course. They only charge $20. They could charge double, and you'd still buy it. I'll be working on my trip report this week. If you're planning on the Big Island, I may be able to help. Check out www.bluehawaiian.com.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:09 AM

We also took the Blue Hawaiin Helicopter Tour over the Volcano. When we went to the volcano, the lava was not flowing at the end of the Chain of Craters Road, and the helicopter was the only way to see the red lava. It was worth every penny, and Yes, we did buy the tape afterward to help us remember the fantastic flight.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:52 PM

I just returned 2 weeks ago and we did the 45 minute ride with Blue Hawaiian. They were great, prompt and the pilot we had was excellent. We flew over some of the water falls around Hilo, and then headed for the Volcano. The ride was smooth and very comfortable and I felt safe the whole time. The volcano was spectacular! We went right over the craters and saw some hot spots and we saw flowing lava - headed for the coast. A few days later, I saw a newspaper article at the corner store - saying that the lava was going to hit the water within a couple of weeks. Would have loved to see that - they say its spectacular at night! This is one of the best things I did in Hawaii. I would recommend it highly - we booked it through a guy who came to our time share and gave us a lot of info on various tours. I think it cost about $335.00 for the two of us. Just a hint - For anyone who gets motion sick when flying, the tour guy recommended a motion sickness drug called Triptone, which is not supposed to make you drowsy. I could only find it at the Body Glove outlet in Kailua-Kona (where we were staying) and it worked wonders! I felt nothing in my stomach and I didn't get tired. Worth it if your worried! Have fun!
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:22 PM

We did an air tour (in a plane not a helicopter) from Mokulele Flight Service in Kona. It was about half the price of the helicopter ride, and we really enjoyed it. We also got a video of the trip (prerecorded, but it covered our entire flight) with the tour. It was about $200 each for a 2-hour tour around the entire island.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:15 PM

We are also interested in a helicopter flight on BI for our Sept. trip. Can those of you who have been tell me what times the trips are scheduled? The websites for the companies only indicate am or pm and i am trying to work it into our flights to and from Hilo.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 09:26 AM

To Conlet:

I'm not sure of the exact schedule, but in our experience, when we phoned the company to book, we were given a couple of times to pick from. We had a choice of 11:00 or 1:00. We booked 11:00 and we had to be at the airport 45 minutes to a half hour early, because they gave out flotation devices which we had to wear around our waists and gave us a little presentation on safety. They also request your weight when you book, and they put you in certain seats in the helicopter depending on your weight - it must be a balance thing. So they also go over that and assign you a number. Its all very organized and easy. Hope this helps a little.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Blue Hawaiian is great! Pricey, but worth the splurge. I think I paid around $350 and the ride included the north part of the island as well as the volcano. Don't just do half- take the whole tour and you won't regret it.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Agree with Christie P. Look into a plane ride. Alot more bang for your buck IMHO
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:09 AM

I will be in Oahu & maui in Sept.04 and following your comments on this thread I was wondering what was the best option from Oahu or Maui to see Volcano Nat.park ? ie get a tour from Oahu or Maui or fly to BI and arrange a helicopter flight from there .....