Search

Sea sick

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea sick

I'll be going on the Kenai Fjord tour in Alaska this weekend and I was hoping someone could recommend a non-drowsy, over the counter prevention. Thanks
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Bonine
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:30 AM

We did the trip a couple of weeks ago and the seas were as calm as could be. No one got sick. That's pretty unusual.

Recommend Bonine too. It doesn't make you drowsy and it works!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM

When fully awake and walking about a ship, I can control motion/sea sickness (they say if you focus on the horizon it will lessen the feeling). It is when you retire at night trying to sleep that the motion of the ship can cause the most severe reactions to the rolling of the sea. If one is prone to motion/sea sickness, the best remedy (other than not being on a rocking ship) is to book inside cabins on the lower decks. The higher up and further out you are from the center of the ship, the more rocking and rolling motion you'll get. Of course, these cabins are usually the smaller and less appointed ones (and therefore usually quite a bit cheaper as well). What's the point of an elaborate stateroom if all you see is the commode? The two cruises I've taken I've kept this in mind and booked the inside/lower cabins. It helped with the budget and with the motion sickness at the same time.

Keith
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM

My fiance has a problem with sea sickness and we've found something that is GREAT. It is not and OTC drug however. It is a patch, about the size of a dime you place behind your ear the night before you go out on the seas. It's called transdermscop and he swears by it. The only thing is that once you put it on, you need to pull it off only when you're in for the night because you "come off of it" , but if you're sleeping anyway, it has little drawback. You'd have to visit your PCP to get it, but it really is worth it. Here's the link www.transdermscop.com if you'd like to read more about it.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:12 AM
LN

second Nearlydean's advice. We use it anytime we take a cruise or go deep-sea fishing. Got sea-sick once and the feeling wanted to come back again. With Transdermscop it stays away and I'm awake and enjoying everything. Gotta get it from an MD by prescription I believe.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 09:52 AM

When fully awake and walking about a ship, I can control motion/sea sickness (they say if you focus on the horizon it will lessen the feeling). It is when you retire at night trying to sleep that the motion of the ship can cause the most severe reactions to the rolling of the sea. If one is prone to motion/sea sickness, the best remedy (other than not being on a rocking ship) is to book inside cabins on the lower decks. The higher up and further out you are from the center of the ship, the more rocking and rolling motion you'll get. Of course, these cabins are usually the smaller and less appointed ones (and therefore usually quite a bit cheaper as well). What's the point of an elaborate stateroom if all you see is the commode? The two cruises I've taken I've kept this in mind and booked the inside/lower cabins. It helped with the budget and with the motion sickness at the same time

This is not the same as an all day Kenai Fjords boat tour- no "inside cabins" I have taken this trip many times and have seen sick passengers every trip. Smooth sailing the entire trip is rare. Bonine is an excellent product as is the Trans derm scop. Perhaps consult your MD for further recommendations?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:54 AM

I was just on the Kenai Fjords trip on August 23 and it was unbelievably calm. Even the captain commented that the sea was as calm as a lake. I did purchase some ginger chews (any form of ginger root based product should work), and we did use it for our flightseeing over Mt. McKinley and it helped. I bought mine from a health food store.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:19 AM

My family went on the 6 hour Kenai fford tour in July. I was the only memeber to get seasick. While everyone reacts differently, I took bonine the evening before and the morning of the trip. I still got seasick. My wife purchased pressure point bands onboard and I recovered to enjoy the rest of the tour. If you feel ill while on board, take a jacket and have a seat in the open air in the rear of the boat. FYI, regardless of my seasickness, teh tour was still worth it.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:32 PM

I swear by the patch. You can wear one for 3 days and then change it. I've done it hundreds of time and it works everytime. Especially on the rocking and rolling bus in Ireland and a sailboat in Boston Harbor. But beware, it is an anticholenergic so it dries up all your secretions so drink plenty of water.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:39 PM

My brother gets a prescription patch and he swears by it too. He does say his mouth gets dry which it sounds like a funny symptom it can get old after a few days but since your trip is shorter, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

On a related note: How does a person know whether they will get sick or not? I can handle roller coasters almost always (usually I get a headache rather than throw up if a ride bothers me) any other give aways? At some point I am going to go on the ocean and don't want my trip ruined by getting sick but don't want medication if I don't need it.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Anyone know...if you've had a very bad reaction to dramamine, will the patch cause the same reaction?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:45 PM
LN

The most major giveaway that I'm aware of is "queasiness" you stomach is rolling just like the ocean that you're on. Sometimes if you got car-sick as a kid or on a train - or during pregnancy. If it happens once then it generally comes back again and again because you always think of it and remember it. Yes, it's like a bad penny - so it's kinda wise to take something before you go. I like the patch - 3 days and I'm fine - just drink a lot of water. I say this because we go deep sea fishing in the ocean fairly often (like 35 miles out) can't get seasick there.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 06:46 AM

I have a question about the transderm patch? Does it stay on while you are swimming? I want to wear it for boat trips in Hawaii where we'll be getting off the boat and snorkling. I wonder whether the patch stays effective underwater (i.e. whatever chemicals it is putting into your body continue to work) and whether or not it falls off.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:08 AM
LN

You place the patch behind the ear the night before you're going out on the boat. However, you would be wise to consider trying it a few days earlier to make certain that you don't have any reaction to it.

The patch is available by prescription only so your doctor could give the best info on it. For us it has worked very well. We use it on deep sea fishing trips and on cruises.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Anyone aware of the Navy's tricks for those who suffer minor discomfort??? Soda crackers. It works for some people.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:02 PM

Soda crackers, yes, but soda crackers with sardines. It works every time.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:16 PM

First of all, I want to stand right up and testify to the power of the patch. God bless it!! It was off the market for a while and I did not get on a boat until it was available again.

It stays on when you swim or shower. It is not without side effects, but anyone who has been seriously seasick will be happy to tolerate the minor inconveniences. It does give you cotton mouth. It may make you a little bit sleepy for the first 24 hours, but that wears off.

If you are a smaller person or tend to be sensitive to medication, I recommend cutting the patch in half and using only half at a time. Works for me. If you start to feel queasy, you can always put the other half on, although it may take a while to work.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM

I am very prone to motion sickness and Bonine does make me drowsy. I am usually out like a light when I take it. The Dramamine "50% less drowsy formula" is better but now I plan on trying the patch and ginger.
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 05:27 PM

kalmia, if you use the patch it is unlikely that you will require anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -