Search

mclaurie (and others) - NYC jazz clubs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mclaurie (and others) - NYC jazz clubs

Hi mclaurie-
I did a search and saw that you were very helpful with suggesting live music venues in the theatre district area.

You recently responded to my hotel post.

We're also looking for a jazz place for after dinner - but NOT a big place with big names. Rather, we want local talent with cool atmosphere - anywhere, really. We're up for cabbing it. I'd love it if the place was down in the SoHo area. I think we're doing Mulberry Street for dinner, it would be nice to find one close enough to walk to from dinner.

Also - is Casa la Femme still a cool place to go? My DH and I went years ago and had the best time, I'd love to take my older sister there. But of course, not if it's overrated now or just plain no fun anymore.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Go to Danny Meyer's BLUE SMOKE for dinner and then downstairs to JAZZ STANDARD afterwards.

www.jazzstandard.com

Great food upstairs, great jazz downstairs.

Regarding Casa la Femme, rarely is any place "cool" in New York for more than 6-12 months, and it is no exception.

Mulberry Street for dinner? If you must, consider Da Nico. And don't miss Ferrara for dessert (just south, near Canal).

Enjoy NYC!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gekko, I'll check out that site.

We always go to Angelos - and we haven't been in a while so we may have to go back there!

Thanks re: Femme. Sorry to hear it, we had such a great time there. But I guess it's like any other place like you say..
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

My sister talked to her friends that live in the city and they suggested Birdland and Blue Note (Manhattan Transfer is playing at Blue Note and I hear they are pretty good).
So I think we'll be choosing between these two. Unfortunately, they are the opposite of what I was looking for, I didn't want to go to a place where you pay $60 for a table, I wanted a cool low key atmosphere but oh well! I'm sure it'll be fun anyway!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Both of those are good venues. Birdland especially is pretty small for a NYC club. Have fun!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:10 AM

bostongal, i second exactly what gekko says...have a bite upstairs at blue smoke before, or after a show downstairs at blue note. and have a drink during the show. the tix i had were only $27, what a night!!! the food (same kitchen) is top notch!