Disney or Universal for 18 year old's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Orlando with our two 18 year old's and their friends for one week in July. Have done disney several times when they were younger. Have never been to Universal Studios. What would they prefer, and what else is there to do for them. Staying near Disney. Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Hard to go wrong either way but I think the big kids would like Universal a bit better. That is of course assuming they like rollercoasters!
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Just adding my 2c here -- there's Universal Studios *and* Islands of Adventure -- a separate park. Universal Studios is mostly 3-D/special effects stuff -- they're not really rides, per se. One or two were fun. But after about 10 of them, you get a little bored!

IoA, on the other hand -- is awesome and perfect for teens. 2 great roller coasters (Hulk and Dueling Dragons), plus some great water rides. And even my teens loved the Dr. Suess area -- it was like being transported into cartoon land -- very fun!

My teens have pretty much outgrown Disney. They both enjoy Epcot -- son likes Test Track and daughter loves to shop, sample the exotic foods, and listen to all of the wonderful music. They enjoy the Rockin Roller coaster and Tower of Terror at MGM, too, but that's it.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:25 AM

My kids, as young adults, still love disney, but think IOA at Universal is awesome. Lots of fun rollercoasters. If you go, stay at one of their hotels(Hard Rock, Portofino Bay, or Royal Pacific) because it gives you front of line access and is so worth it. Go to Mythos for lunch or dinner. Also check out the Universal website for tickets and specials. There is a wealth of info on www.disboards.com.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 04:57 AM

My daughter just got back from Orlando a few weeks ago. She went there for the high school senior trip. There were thousands of teens there from various schools. They started out at Magic Kingdom for Grad Night & she said it was "ok". They went to Universal, MGM & Epcot. Epcot was her favorite. She had been to Disney, MGM & Universal many years ago but never Epcot. I don't think they went to Island of Adventure. Universal is fun for older kids. Just depends what they like- wild rides or familiar things.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say teens would prefer the Universal Parks. BOTH Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Go to Universal's site for descriptions of all the attractions. There are also some great restaurants for teens at City Walk which is between the two Universal Parks. NBA City, Nascar Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe have atmosphere teens love. My favorite restaurant is MYTHOS in Islands of Adventure. The good thing about Universal is you can walk from park to park. Very easy to navigate.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:33 AM

I expect most 18 year old's would prefer Universal over Disney by a long way. of the Universal parks, I would say Islands of Adventure would be perfect if they are into rollercoasters.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:44 AM

One more suggestion, take the kids to Blizzard Beach (WDW) for a day. They have waterslides there that are awesome for people of all ages. FYI- It has the tallest & fastest waterslide in America (you reach speeds of nearly 60 mph).