Search

Disney Resorts

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney Resorts

I'm going to Disney in July with 3 buddies (30 years old). We are just going to play golf - no parks - and am looking for a Disney hotel suggestion. I'm considering the Grand Floridian and the Boardwalk. We'd like to stay some place nice. I've heard that the GF is a bit worn down and really not up to snuff. Any thoughts about the two, or any other resorts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I think you should stay at the Boardwalk. You will have lots more dining options within walking distance with the Boardwalk restaurants and Epcot nearby. The Boardwalk tends to get fewer families and honeymooners than GF, and more business conference traffic.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:33 AM
wow

Hello, aari5! Well, I can't say anything about the GF b/c I have never stayed there but I like the Boardwalk Inn & Villas. There's a great place nearby called Spoodles which serves a very nice breakfast. And, you can walk to all of the Epcot restaurants for dinner.
The Beach Club & The Yacht Club are also supposed to be nice so you may want to check those out too. But, for the you & your golf buddies I think a villa @ The Boardwalk wld be perfect!
What courses are you playing??
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Of the two choices listed, I'd also recommend BW - either the Inn or the Villas for its proximity to dining choices like Spoodles, ESPN and the Flying Fish. But you may want to consider the Yacht Club also - has a kind of masculine vibe to it. I believe there is a nice steak house there.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Courses have not been set in stone yet (and would love any recommendations), but I believe we will play the following:

Sun. pm - Osprey Ridge
Mon. am - Panther lake (at Orange national)
Mon pm - undecided (maybe Magnolia or palm)
Tue am - Eagle Pines
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Play Magnolia. LMF
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM

We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn in February and thought it was great. It's really nice to be on the Boardwalk. You can walk to the Swan/Dolphin and the Yacht Club/Beach Club Resorts. Lots of restaurants and bars. I highly recommend the Boardwalk Inn.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I have been to the GF recently and it is NOT worn...still beautiful

If you are going to Orlando to play golf why not stay at the Ritz Carlton Orlando...they offer golf packages and its a brand new hotel. As long as you are not going to the parks, why not go to a resort which caters to golf?
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with staying off site. Why stay where there will be LOADS of children running all over. There are some very nice hotels in the Disney area. Go to www.disboards.com and check out their forums.
If you do still want to stay at an on site hotel, the Swan/Dolphin tend to have fewer children. They have both recently been refurbished.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I'm getting a great rate at Disney, which I cannot get at the Ritz (50% off), so that's why I'm staying there. I know its Disney, but ideally, I'd like to stay at the place that will have the fewest kids (nothing against kids, but we are leaving ours at home, so I don't need someone else's), and where three's some stuff going on at night. It sounds like either the Boardwalk or Yacht Club.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Pleasure Island is an idea for at least one night. Lots of fun in a PG-13 way. The Ritz and JW have a great course in Grande Lakes but the resorts are heavily booked with conferences. It is a lovely course however designed by Greg Norman.

Magnolia is the favored course by the pros that live in Orlando even though the newer courses are higher rated. Magnolia is the oldest (I think) and longest. Payne Stewart holds the record. Think you can go for it? LMF
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:59 PM
GoTravel

Concierge Level at either the Yacht Club or the Beach Club. Can't beat the service or amenities. They'll take care of cleaning your clubs for you.

Also, staying onsite at a Disney property, you will not have to dick around with getting your clubs or your luggage when you land at the airport.