Fine Dining in Disney

Search

Fine Dining in Disney

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fine Dining in Disney

I was wondering what the fine dining restaurants in Disney are and that they are not too juvenile. Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Anaheim, Orlando?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

there are nice restaurants at the Grand Floridian, Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge properties. All are upscale but have sllightly different atmospheres. Best to go to WWW.Waltdisneyworld.com and browse through their descriptions. In epcot, there is a nice French restaurant as well; Alfredo's in Italy. Animal Kingdom closes at sunset; Disney studios...probably the Brown Derby.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Inside Walt Disney World, the Grand Floridian hotel has probably the two most upscale restaurants in the resort: Victoria & Albert's and Citrico's. Victoria & Albert's is expensive and definitely not the best place for a kid. We ate at Citrico's last year during our stay and we were impressed, but it is not as upscale as Victoria & Albert's.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM

I'm not sure how "fine" you mean, but Epcot has several nice restaurants in the various country pavilions. I'm sure you can find tons of info on the Epcot website.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:38 PM

I would suggest California Grill at the Contemporary, Giko at AK Lodge, and Artist's Point at Wilderness Lodge. Also, as mentioned above, many, if not all of the countries in Epcot have a fine dining option. My faves are France and Japan, although the steakhouse in Canada is quite good and Alfredos in Italy is also good. Cape May Cafe is good at the Beach Club and Flying Fish at the Boardwalk is excellent. There are good restaurants at Downtown Disney too-Wolfgang Puck, etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I second California Grill. Here's the problem with fine dining at Disney (and I mean no offense to anyone): tourists often don't dress the part for these restaurants, and they often bring children to inappropriate settings. Before anyone gets upset, I have visited pretty much every "nice" restaurant on Disney property, and it never fails--there are people in tank tops, muscle shirts, shorts, torn T-shirts, etc., and there are kids drooling at my feet playing with old cups, gum, etc. People want to relax and be tourists at Disney, and they do just that. I never mind too much, but you should know this before you spend a significant amount of money. If you have a car, there are excellent restaurants elsewhere in Orlando that I would be happy to recommend. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM

gummo, I accept your point, but I've dined at Victoria and Albert's three times and have never witnessed any of that there at any time. And I assure you there will never be any diners there in tanktops or shorts. They won't let them in, period!

I guess there's no longer the Empress Lily with the small private rooms atop? Ah, that was wonderful.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:01 PM

In Florida I would also suggest you look into the Flying Fish at the Boardwalk.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:29 PM

Several of these restaurants are nice - or pleasant - but would not qualify them as "fine" dining except in Orlando. Certainly the restaurants in Epcot - while better than Fridays/Olive Garden- are not fine by any deifintion.

We had dinner once at the VA and the food was OK - but not great - and the service/atmosphere was definitely pretentious.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:43 PM

It's Disney -- if you're not prepared to be annoyed by the undisciplined spawn of selfish parents, don't go.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:00 PM

If I remember correctly, Victoria and Albert does not allow kids.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the different replies. For another night we were thinking about going to the Polynesian. What is the dining like there? Do they have a luau there? Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:16 PM
vannevka

ohana's is at the polynesian. they might have a luau on one night a week, but typically they offer something similar to a brazilian restaurant were they bring sides to your table and then come around with stakes of different meats.

victoria and alberts is required coat and tie and is rated the top restaurant in central florida.

kari

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM

Once upon a time the upscale restaurant at Canada in Epcot had the most awesome creme brulee. They had a hard thick coating of maple sugar on top that was unforgettable. I think that was the start of my family's creme brulee fetish. It is the only dessert my kids get when they dine at nice restaurants. At 14 and 16 they are creme brulee connisseurs! We enjoyed the food and the atmosphere at that restaurant more than most in Disney.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk. Also, in the Swan Hotel there is a great Italian Restaurant. I can't remember the name, but it's not the type of place that would have a lot of children.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:04 AM

Why anyone would expect a truly upscale restaurant at Disney World is beyond me. There are many excellent restaurants there, but given the volume of business and the nature of the clientele, there will never be a Le Bernardin, Per Se, or French Laundry type place. Those are restaurants I consider upscale.

Disney has high quality restaurants delivering excellent food in interesting venues. I love the Chefs de France. It gives the feeling of a Fin de Siecle (probably need to change that terminology given the new century) French Bistro. Classic Bistro cuisine. No way is this upscale but it is fun and relaxing in the evening.

I think Victoria and Alberts is due for a total makeover. So 80's, both 20th century and 19th.

Jiko, at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, is a wonderful restaurant experience. Beautiful decor, excellent cuisine but not too wierd for American tastes, outstanding wines from South Africa.

Blue Zoo has opened at one of the hotels: Dolphin or Swan. A Todd English production, or should I say brand.

If you want home cooking, eat at home. That used to be printed on the menu of a restaurant I used to frequent in Toronto many years ago. The same idea applies to expectations at Disney World. A place built for kids should be kid like. If you don't want this, you'll have to go elsewhere.

LMF
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 06:19 AM

check out allearsnet.com - they post the menus from all the restaurants at WDW. You also can see pictures of the interiors of most of the restaurants. I wouldn't call any of it fine dining but some of the restaurants are more upmarket than others. Personally I've enjoyed the food at Spoodles on the Boardwalk the most of any meal I've had at WDW - but its been a few years. We had a nice meal at the Coral Reef at the Living Seas.

Hated the food at Ohana - those skewers of chicken sausage and pork were dried out - though the appetizers and pineapple cocktails were good.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 07:18 AM

One note on California Grill, Victoria and Alberts and Giko. Last time we were there there were signs posted saying something to the effect that proper attire was required and they turned away a couple in shorts and tee shirts when we were checking in...
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM

"I think Victoria and Alberts is due for a total makeover. So 80's, both 20th century and 19th."

Too funny, Ms. Foodie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -