Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disney World for 2 - Where to stay?? - no kids this trip...

May 5th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are going to visit my mother-in-law in Florida and decided to treat ourselves to a very short stay(without kids) in Disney.

Any suggestions which resort is would be best to stay at?

Has anyone stayed at the animal kingdom resort?

thanks in advance!!!
May 5th, 2008, 04:23 AM

My husband and I very much like the Epcot Resorts area. This would include the Yacht Club and Beach Club resorts, The Boardwalk Inn as well as the Swan and the Dolphin.
As adults only our favorite park is Epcot. We usually end each evening in a WS restaurant. It is very convenient to walk to the International Gateway and be in WS in just minutes from here. You can also walk to the DHS from this area.
I think the YC is a little quieter than the BC and you are assured of a full balcony here.
Also the Boardwalk is fun in the evening with all kinds of entertainers. You might prefer the Boardwalk Inn.
Whichever you choose, you will have a great time, I am sure. Enjoy
May 5th, 2008, 05:46 AM

I, too, would recommend the Epcot Resorts. Our favorite is the Boardwalk Inn, but the Yacht Club/Beach Club is great too. We really like being able to walk to Epcot and MGM (or take the boat). I think this is the perfect area of Disney for a couples only trip.
May 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM

We've stayed at the Boardwalk as well as the Yacht and beach; both are walkable to EPCOT.

I prefer the Yacht and Beach because the pool there is MUCH better than the one at the Boardwalk (probably because of the water slide and sandy bottom)IMO but it might have more kids in it than the one at the Boardwalk.

If you want REALLY upscale then stay at the Grand Floridian in one of those turret rooms..they are wonderful but pricey.
May 5th, 2008, 06:54 AM

I never stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge but do know that it is somewhat removed from the rest of the parks/hotels. I'm another fan of the Epcot area just because these hotels have such easy access to lots of entertainment.
May 5th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Two options:

1. Stay at one of the Epcot area resorts and get park hopper tickets so you can eat at a different world showcase restaurant every night.

2. Stay at Animal Kingdom lodge. the public areas (pool, hot tubs, restaurants) are really beautiful.
May 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM

The Animal Kingdom Lodge is very nice and the restaurants, Boma and Jiko, are two of the best in WDW.
May 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM

The Swan and Dolphin are in a great locatoin and tend to have fewer children running around than the other on site resorts.
May 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM

The Boardwalk resorts are great for being able to walk right over to Epcot, but they're very pricey. For a deluxe that costs less, the Animal Kingdom Lodge is an amazing, massively themed resort. The most incredible thing about it, to me, was waking in the morning to find giraffes and zebras grazing in the mist. Priceless! Anyhow, the whole resort is beautiful, and the restaurants are amazing. Kids or no kids, the AKL would be my pick.
May 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM

We've stayed at the BWI as well as the Swan & Dolphin. They were all nice in their own ways (Disney hotels definitely have incredible theming; it's magical, but if cost is a factor, you can definitely find a better price at the Swan/Dolphin. The heavenly beds at the Swan ( a Westin) were phenomenol; great service at these hotels. Check out signing up on mousesavers.com & allearsnet.com to be notified of discounts; you can also sign up directly on the hotels' website & they'll notify you of specials. You can also get discounts (although not as deep usually) w/ AAA.
If we could stay anywhere & price was not a factor, I might try a lake facing room at the Yacht Club, a 1 BR villa at the Beach Club or BWI or a Garden Suite at the BWI - or one of the monorail resorts like the Poly or GF. As a previous post stated, Jiko's at the AKL can't be be for an incredible dinner.