Disney World Honeymoon

Search

Disney World Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney World Honeymoon

My fiance and I are getting married and then honeymooning in Disney World in August (I know, it's going to be very hot). We are debating between The Polynesian, The Grand Floridian, The Yacht Club, The Wilderness Lodge, and Villas at The Beach Club or Boardwalk. We will be there for 6 nights, and can't decide which resort would be best for us. Anyone have any suggestions?

We were also thinking about splitting the stay - 3 nights in one hotel and 3 nights in another.

Also, for restaurants we were thinking of O'Hana the night before the wedding and Yachtmen's Steakhouse for the wedding dinner. Was also contemplating Citricos, California Grill, Artist's Point...
Any suggestions?

Thank you and any recommendations are much appreciated.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

If you happen to be traveling to WDW on or after August 21, there is a tremendous deal available - free dining when you book a package for 3 or more nights. Call (don't use the internet) 407-939-7675 - this is WDW central reservation line and ask for Rate Code YMP. The package includes hotel, passes, airport transfers and 2 full meals & 1 snack per day per person. Its a darn good deal that just became available today.

As far as your hotel choices, I would pick the Yacht Club or Grand Floridian. I like the YC because of its proximity to Epcot, MGM and the Boardwalk give you lots of dining choices and it has a great pool. If you are planning on spending more time at the Magic Kingdom, the GF is a good choice.

I am not a fan of O'Hanas. The appetizers were very good but the grilled meats were very dry. Haven't tried any of the others that you mentioned.

Congratulations on your engagement.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

i was very disappointed in o'hanas. i would go to the california grill instead--and try to time it up with the magic kingdom fireworks. while kind of a stuffy atmosphere, the food and service at victoria and alberts is excellent.

i'd stay at the yacht or beach clubs. walking distance to epcot and the boardwalk and great pool. if you decide to split it up, i'd also stay at either the floridian for easy access to mk or the wilderness lodge or animal kingdom lodge because i love the ambiance in both.

have fun!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM

You are not going to go wrong at the Polynesian, GF, Yacht Club or the Wilderness Lodge.

Like everyone else has said, if you plan on spending a lot of time at Epcot or by the pool, then Yacht Club is your best choice. You can walk to Epcot and the Boardwalk area from the Yacht Club and you can take a boat to MGM Studios. Plus, Yacht & Beach Club have stormalong bay, which is the best pool of any Disney hotel.

If most of your time will be spent at Magic Kingdom then GF or Polynesian would be your best bet because you can take a boat over or ride the monorail. That decision then just depends on what hotel you like the look and feel of better. We've stayed in both and neither is stuffy. GF is generally considered Disney's top hotel.

My wife and I love the Wilderness Lodge's ambiance. The only drawback is that you have to ride a bus if you want transportation to one of the parks.

I agree with the others that O'Hana is overrated. California Grill is a great meal. So is Narcoossee's at GF. You can see the fireworks from either if you are there at the right time. Artist Point is a great choice if you want to see the Wilderness Lodge.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM

I really think that you should split up the 6 night's. 3 nights in one and 3 in another. The Yacht club and the Grand Floridian would be great choices, but they are all very nice. Artist's Point, California Grill, Citrico's, Flying Fish Cafe, and Yachtsman's Steakhouse have all recieved rave reviews from the Zagat restaurant survey among many other reputable surveys. I have not seen any ratings for O'hana's; but I could be looking in the wrong area. I think you would enjoy any of these choices. Have Fun!!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your great suggestions! (I was really afraid I was going to be immediately referred to the Disney Boards website.)

We wanted to go to dinner somewhere a bit casual the night before the wedding and that's why we were thinking of O'Hana, but I don't want to go if it is not good. Maybe Artist's Point? I don't think California Grill can guarantee us a table for 12 people, whereas O'Hana and Yachtmens Steakhouse could. I have also heard wonderful things about California Grill.

Have any of you ever stayed at any of the villas at Disney World?

I live overseas and I can't wait to get back home and have fun at Disney! I am mortifying my future very Catholic Italian mother in law by getting married at Disney World, but that's another story...
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM

Would definitely stay at the Grand Floridian for a honeymoon. If you want a truly amazing dining experience try Albert and Victoria's located on site. It's pricey but a great experience.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:43 PM

We LOVE Disney World and have gone several times (no kids, we just love being there).

Go to www.mousesavers.com for all the latest on discounts and the new "meal deal" they are offering. We are going in August as we hope to have someone from the board, house/cat sit so we can take a MUCH NEEDED VACATION.

It's something like $500pp for 6nights/7 days INCLUDING meals, and hotel which is an amazing deal. It also includes gratuity for meals AND a basic park ticket, for one park a day, which is also a steal.

Can't wait.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM

<Have any of you ever stayed at any of the villas at Disney World?>

my in-laws are vacation club members so i've stayed in the villas at old key west and they are great. i've seen their studio, 2 bdrm and grand villas (3 bdrms). they are like apartments so you have the benefits (except in the studios) of kitchens, separate bedroom/living space and washer and dryers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:08 PM

The Villas are great. We're staying at the Beachclub Villas here in about a week. The Boardwalk area is fun and the pool is fantastic. You can use the Boardwalk and the Beachclub pools. Disney transportation is a definate plus and "Beaches & Cream" is a fun restaurant/ice cream parlor. My husband was just in Florida with his folks last month. He took them to Beaches & Cream once and then my in-laws insisted on going two more times that week.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:11 PM

We have a family so we had a great time at O'hanas. But I hear rave reviews for Jiko's (spelling? also at the Animal Kingdom Lodge) for grown-ups.

Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM

GF is awesome! You can boat to some parks. They also have a killer snack bar during all meal hours. I loved it! Of course, I don't know how much it cost as my daughter was sent there for Make~A~Wish. Looked like that Animal Kingdom hotel would be pretty cool, too.