DC - Convention Area vs Dupont Nightlife

Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

DC - Convention Area vs Dupont Nightlife

Is the nightlife around the Dupont area much "better" than that around the Convention Center? We are a 30-something couple that likes to go out for a few cocktails & people watch....we like good beer. We are not clubhoppers/dancers, more pub-oriented.

Got a pretty great rate at the Courtyard Conv. Center but was a little concerned that it might be boring around there in the evening & I was told that the Dupont Circle area is better in that regard.

After researching more I have discovered that the Courtyard has a brewpub attached (!) and that the nightlife might be better than we thought.

DC veterans, what are your thoughts on the subject? Will we be OK staying at the Convention Center location? Or will we be bored to tears?

Something tells me that I am overthinking things!! Forgive me if this is the case.....this is our first vacation post baby & I am a little revved up!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:35 AM

Three years ago, I would have said DuPont, but now I would say that the Convention Center area is fine. There are at least three brewpubs within a few blocks and a number of great restaurants. The neighborhood has been completely transformed in the last few years and I find myself over in that 'hood just as often as I find myself in DuPont.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM

I live in DC and while I haven't stayed at the Courtyard you are referring to I have eaten (and consumed beer) at the Gordon Biersch restaurant that is attached to it. The hotel is very pretty/historical looking and Gordon Biersch is quite good - really good beer! They do a nice Sunday Jazz brunch. Close by is Gallery Place and all the restaurants near the Verizon Centre. Most are chains, but have lively bar scenes - Clydes and Legal Seafood come to mind. There are other good options for beer close by - Fado's, which is an Irish bar and DC Food & Drink, where the food is nothing special but they have a great selection of beer (hundreds of them!!) Walking distance for dinner I would recommend Oyamel - fantastic/innovative/not expensive Mexican, and Jaleo - great inexpensive tapas. Both have a good atmosphere and bar area. Oh! Also near the Verizon Center are Rosa Mexicano for Mexican and DC Chophouse - great food and they make their own beer too! It is a bit pricey, but their burgers are fantastic if you don't want to spend a lot.

I really like Dupont Circle though. Fewer chains and it's a nice neighborhood for walking around and people watching. What hotel are you considering there? If it is the Hilton I will say that it has a nice pool!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM

There's no reason you can't stroll around Dupont one evening even if you are staying at Gallery Place -- they are just two stops apart on the Red line or a quick same-zone taxi ride.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

kayd - good point....it's not like we have to caontain ourselves to only the convention center area.

Kireland - it is the Courtyard Convention Center.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:32 PM

I know the Courtyard Convention Center - I was wondering if you had a hotel picked near Dupont Circle. I recently stayed at the Washington Hilton near Dupont Circle and while the rooms weren't anything special the pool area was quite nice.

The location of the Courtyard can't be beat though if you're going to do soem sightseeing - you can walk to the Mall and lots of restaurants/bars.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM

I recommend Capitol City Brewing Company restaurant, at the corner of 11th and H streets and right across from the convention center. I go there, sit at the bar, and have dinner at least once every business trip to DC. For breakfast or lunch try Reeve's Bakery once, 1306 G street NW, it is within walking distance of your hotel. You should try both areas of town while you are there. It is a short hop on the Metro.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Kireland - Duh. Reading is fundamental!

I was looking at the Wardman Marriott in Dupont. Mixed reviews on tripadvisor, but they have a good rate for Thurs-Sat, jumps up dramatically on Sunday though.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM

About to leave the house and headed for Clyde's at the Verizon Center followed by Delerium by Cirque.

That location is fine and there are plenty of restaurants, etc., near your hotel.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM

Wardman -- that may be at Woodley, not Dupont. Double check the address.

Also, Reeves Bakery is closing for good (rent increase was too much, they say).
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM

Reeves Bakery is closing! Say it isn't so! I will call my cousin who works in DC and eats lunch there a lot, we will have to meet for a final memorial lunch. Boo Hoo!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM

OH NOOOOO! Reeves already closed! Let's hope they find a new location SOON!
Jun 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM

Marriott Wardman is definitely Woodley Park. Great hotel, but Dupont or convention center are better for people watching and more centrally located.

Bummer about Reeves! I loved having lunch there. And don't get me started on their strawberry shortcake...
Jun 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Strawberry pie good-bye!

Search this Thread