Search

2 days in DC

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in DC

If you were mid 20 something, staying in a nice hotel in Dupont circle area, and with your two girlfriends for two days in DC........what would you do?
I'm way into wine and food, architecture (not the actual study of, just a big fan of buildings and monuments vx. museums), and history. I spent a year in Europe and have had my fill of wandering through museum halls. I prefer to stand in front of historical building and hear the stories of who was there before me. I live in wine country in CA and therefore do not need to go to Too many wine bars or anything of that sort but the point is I am a bit spoiled when it comes to eating and drinking wonderful wines and foods. I'm also not rich but by no means frequent mcdonalds or even diners and things of that sort. I can pay a decent price for a meal I just don't prefer spending hundreds at a restaurant for two people.
I LOVE ethnic cuisine/districts/shopping. And yes I only have two days. I will spend the other two in Baltimore (with my sister whom I am visiting) It will be my first east coast trip and I realize it is too short-it is just all i have at this moment. I will be returning to the baltimore area at least 2-3 times this coming up year so I will have the chance to see other places soon.
Hope this gives people
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM

For ethnic food, my friend and I loved Zaytinya - it's Middle Eastern/Turkish small plates (similar to tapas.) It wasn't outrageously expensive by any means. Drinks were a bit pricey, but very good. With 3-4 plates a person, plus drinks, it was about $60 total.

I also enjoyed Jaleo - which is tapas. It's great food, fun atmosphere, and tasty sangria.

Both restaurants are close to the metro and a reasonable walk to the White House.

Also, I loved seeing the monuments at night, especially the WWII Memorial.

For shopping, head to Georgetown. It's higher and end and boutiques. You can walk from Dupont to Georgetown past a bunch of embassies, which are just beautiful. My friend and I enjoyed that as well.

Have fun, it's a great city!
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM

There are a couple of good Ethiopian places in Adams-Morgan, Meskerem being the long-standing favorite for many; I also like Cashion's Eat Place, in the same neighborhood, walking distance from Dupont.

You might enjoy the architecture in Georgetown, including the University--townhouses, townhouses, and cobbled streets--although, respectfully disagreeing with the previous poster, I find the shopping area has too many chain stores found in every mall in America.

Dupont is also a fine strolling neighborhood, and chock full of restaurants, and I do agree that the walk from Dupont to G'town is swell. Take P Street.

So if I only had two days, I'd spend one day in and around G'town, Dupont and Adams-Morgan, and the second taking in the monuments, the Capitol, the Library of Congress, the Mall, the White House--that whole bag, and viewing from the outside will be good enough since you're so short on time. That second day will be tons of walking, as the places I've listed are only sort of co-located, but it will be worth it, and you can ride the Metro to and from Dupont.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:46 AM

I'd walk around to see all the monuments, the White House, and the Capitol and then hit the Adams-Morgan area for ethnic food.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM

I just got back from D.C. and one of the nicest restaurants I found is on the corner of K and 11th street, "Beck" braassieri. The food was exceptional and fairly reasonable, comparitably. Also, Georgetown, theres a place called George right behing a restaurant called Zed tat was so-o-o good for lunch. There's many ethnic places in Georgetown and I don't think a person could go wrong with thier choice. And the Georgeown area is very "hip". Also, I found a great french place iin Adams Morgan section which is interesting in it's architect. I wanted to eat at "Madam Morgans" but they don't open til'5;00 p.m. That looked like a great place for soul-food, live jazz and atmosphere. At night I went close to my hotel to the Capitol City Brewing Co. on the corner of 11th and "H", also the Regutta for happy hour near there. The arcitect is off the main roads a block or two to see the authentic design, like Georgetown. I wouldn't miss the National Cathetral though or any of the churches you happen to be passing Have a great trip - I did.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:10 PM

You should try Ethiopian as was suggested above. Also you might like the embassies along Embassy Row.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM

I love Beck (www.beckdc.com). It's feature is Belgian beer and they boast a very impressive beer menu. Warning: Belgian beers are more expensive and higher alcohol content (and better tasting) than their American counterparts. I highly recommend the steamed mussels (which come with frites and 3 different mayo dipping sauces) or the monkfish.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM

Not exactly what you were looking for - but if you like ethnic food while you are in Baltimore - try Helmand. For the quality of food that you get - its very affordable. Entrees are around $10-15.

www.helmand.com

It's in the Mt Vernon area - really close to the Peabody Library (part of Johns Hopkins) Parts have just been renavated - you might want to look into that visiting. Also Mt Vernon right next to Baltimore's version of the Washington Monument.

And as your walking around Baltimore - our contribution to architecture is the Row House - keep an eye out for the famous white marble steps.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

wow-
great suggestions from everyone. I've got plenty to work from for only two days. I'll probably take the suggestions of going to Georgetown and also of taking in the monuments at night. I heard there is a great boat ride at night from DC to VA that is a good way to see them all lit up. I'll also check one of the middle eastern places, it's a type of cuisine we don't have much of around where I live so I'd love to get my fill while I'm there. Also thanks for the Baltimore tips, I'll be strolling around town there on a Sunday so will keep an eye out for the marble steps I love this site
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM

Here's a DC restaurant guide from a Fodor's newsletter:
http://www.fodors.com/wire/archives/002445.cfm
Yum,
Dan
familyroadtrippers.blogspot.com
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:51 PM

You should definitely try Ethiopian food; DC has the best in the country because of the large Ethiopian community. In addition to Adams Morgan, the other great area of Ethiopian food is U Street, around U and 10th.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 08:02 AM

You've gotten some good restaurant tips - so many good ones, just pick - but I would recommend doing one of the jump on/jump off tours (DC Ducks is one of them, Trolley tours is another). It is a beautiful city, and the trolley (or whatever) gives you the opportunity to see everything (buildings are gorgeous), and stop when it strikes your fancy.... Enjoy DC!