Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How to spend 4 days in DC -- Indian food in DC metro area

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In May I am going to visit my daughter who recently relocated to Virgina. We have weekend and evening plans, but I will have 4 days by myself during the week. I thought I'd take the Metro into DC and "see stuff." I have never been to the Smithsonian, and I've always wanted to visit the National Gallery and the Newseum.

What else would any of you recommend? How much time should I allow for each place? Do the museums take reservations?

Also, she is new to the area -- living in Reston, working near Tysons Corner -- and she has told she has yet to find a good, affordable Indian restaurant. We have no Indian on Maui, and we make it a point to have a great Indian meal whenever I go to visit her. Can anyone suggest an affordable Indian (as in not as pricey as Dawat, as much as I love it there when in NYC) place we can try while I am visiting?
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:21 PM

I always liked Haandi in Bethesda, and there is a sister restaurant in Falls Church which wouldn't be too far for your daughter. www.haandi.com

Saravana Palace gets rave reviews from the Washingtonian in 3 categories - dirt cheap, 100 very best, and cheap eats. www.saravanapalaceva.com

Washingtonian online is a great resource for finding restaurants. Go to www.washingtonian.com, then click on food and dining, then restaurant finder.

In Ashburn, west-ish of Reston, I like Mirchi and Banjara. Both are simple, no frills, and very tasty.

www.mirchiindiancuisine.com
www.banjaracuisine.com

If you're willing to go into DC proper, there are some more highly rated Indian restaurants. Indique and Indebleu are two you might want to consider.

My favorite restaurants in DC are more middle Eastern and I miss them terribly since moving to Seattle...Lebanese Taverna (in both Tysons and DC) and Zaytinya. Sigh... Worth a visit if your daughter likes ethnic foods!
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thank you, beanweb! We are so eating one night at the Lebanese Taverna! I sent this to my daughter so she can check out some of these places before I get there. I am really in the mood for some aloo gobi, palak paneer and some garlic naan... Can't wait!

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:34 AM

There are also a lot of Indian restaurants in Herndon, but I can't vouch for them.

In downtown DC, Rasika is superb. For business lunches, I've often eaten there somewhat "family style", so that each person can have a variety of entrees.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 05:41 AM

The Washington Post dining critic Tom Sietsema is very partial to Rasika which is a few blocks from the basketball/hockey arena.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:16 AM

Enjoy Lebanese Taverna! If you like it, also try Layalina (Lebanese/Syrian) in Arlington - the fatteh is particularly delicious, as is their homemade desserts.

www.layalinarestaurant.com
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I second the suggestions for Haandi and Layalina (Layalina is in Arlington, a moderate walk from the Ballston Metro). Lebanese Taverna has become too much of a chain-type restaurant, although their little market in Arlington is decent.