Search

corona

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
corona

Can anyone give me any info on schools and hospitals in Corona? Also, is Corona Del Mar the same place or are they 2 different areas? I have seen job postings for Corona Ca and wondered if they were one in the same? We would be moving from Raleigh, NC. I am an RN and my husband is in the transportation industry. We have one son who is 10 and a competative baseball player. Good schools, safe community and close to job are all important considerations. We would most likely rent for awhile as housing in all of Ca is outrageously priced. Thanks for any info.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:52 AM

Corona and Corona del Mar are not the same place. Coronoa DM is on the coast in Orange County and Corona is in the heart of the Inland Empire (aka Southern California's armpit).

On the bright side, if you think Cal's real esate is off the charts, Corona will be much more affordable.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 07:26 AM

Malvado, as usual you're blunt and honest! Corona del Mar is a ritzy, tony neighborhood in Newport Beach (I'm not sure it's a "city" itself), nice and charming and just that little bit snooty.

Corona is indeed an Inland Empire city, right off the CA-91 freeway heading to Riverside. It's not AWFUL, it's just kinda, well, way out there in the IE. It's really suburban, fairly blue-collar, and given its location it gets quite hot in the summer (mid-90s most days, but very dry and the air's relatively clean). You really have to visit to see if it's to your liking. I know nothing of the schools. In its favor, as malvado notes, housing costs are relatively low. Probably one-half to one-third of the costs in Corona del Mar....
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on where else to live if job is in Corona? Where is the closest hospital?
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could look at homes in Temecula and Murrietta. They are both a few miles south of Corona. Both have good schools and lots of youth sports. There is also Canyon Lake, but I don't know much about the schools other than the high school has a pretty good track team!

In the Inland Empire, the best hospital would be Loma Linda, I think. However, there are bound to be others.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

BARBARA.........Thanks for that info. I will check out those areas as well as the hospital. Obvioulsy we will take a "survey trip" before we make such a big move. Raleigh is a great city and will be pretty hard to top!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 11:23 AM

A wonderful Mexican beer to be enjoyed with slices of lime!
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 01:32 PM

Here is an article from the Riverside Press-Enterprise. You will have register to access it.
<http://www.pe.com/localnews/corona/s...10.10dd7.html>

"Raleigh is a great city and will be pretty hard to top!"

From that statement I can pretty much deduce that you will be dissapointed in the Inland Empire, or the "909," which has been affectionately referred to as the Land of the Dirt People by a friend of mine who moved to Mira Loma last year. There is no city to speak of, just endless tract homes, strip malls, lots of horse property. Riverside or San Bernardino will be the closest cities. Temecula and Murrieta are a few more than a few miles south, more like 45 minutes south of Corona, and even further from SB. It's hot, dusty and when it rains, it really rains.

I have friends in Corona. They moved there because they wanted a four bedroom McMansion away from the city, and a stable neighborhood in which to raise their kids. They are very happy, and they can't imagine driving into LA or OC to catch a show or for dinner. I, on the other hand would be miserable out there. Maui has more to offer me, in the way of arts and activities than the Inland Empire. It's just a very long drive to anywhere from there.

You can check out www.greatschools.net for basic school info and parent reviews.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They're really not 45 minutes south. I drove it just last Saturday and it's maybe 20.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:32 PM

You must have been flying, cause it takes me 20 minutes to get from Corona to Lake Elsinore and Temecula is another 15 or so miles south of Elsinore!