Mar Del Plata, Uncharted???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently went to Argentina and spent half of my trip in Buenos Aires and the other half in Mar Del Plata. I've been satisfied with my few Fodor travel books, but this trip I was disappointed to discover that Mar Del Plata wasn't in my Argentina (Fodor's) guide book. The other guide books that made it on this trip (via my friends/travel mates), Lonely Planet and Frommers, both had a section about the frequently visited beach town. I'm a little disappointed with Fodors as I hold them in high regards for their excellent reviews and suggestions. Are we slipping there, Fodors? Did the recession cause MDP to go uncharted in the 2009 Argentina guide book? Tssk, tssk.
Old May 1st, 2009, 04:56 AM

I am interested on how you found Mar del Plata? Six of us are considering MDP in it's high season of January for 3 nights. Any suggestions on where to stay and what beaches are better and not so over crowded? What temp was the water? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I had the good fortune of staying with (and being shown around by) locals. I went at the end of March, so the water was considerably cooler than it may be in January when you plan to go. In terms of crowds at the beach, I think they may be unavoidable as January is their Summer. Mar Del Plata is the beach spot where many Argentinians take their summer holiday. On where to stay, I would look up Guest houses. I saw some online that were tucked away in nice residential areas (near calle Guiemes) and not too far of a walk to the beaches.
You must eat at a restaurant called "Los Garcias" on calle Olavarria, that is if you like meat. Very good, traditional Argentinian food.
I think 3 days will be plenty of time there during the busy season.
Disfruten!
Old May 8th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

* Playa Serena, South Coast of the city; about 2 miles south of the light house.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks1