Posada del mar -- Isla Mujeres

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posada del mar -- Isla Mujeres

So we've been considering Playa media luna as a hotel, but it's hard to toss aside considering posada del mar (since it's well, half the price).

We do like being near the beach, and we also really like having a pool and bar at the hotel.

Any insight?

thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Wellllll.....

I think you're comparing apples to oranges here. I like Posada del Mar, but it's not in the same calls as Playa Media Luna.

Posada del Mar is older and kind of funky. Some of the rooms have zero views. It's cheap, but well, I hate to quote a cliche, but you get what you pay for, and what you're not paying for is the better quality and more modern amenities that you get at Playa Media Luna, which is only about 4 years old and serves a more upscale clientele.

In its defense, I will say that the pool and bar area at Posada del Mar is quite nice --- big palapa style bar in a comfortable, quiet courtyard, lots of hammocks, rope swings, etc.

If you want to see a few of my Isla Mujeres photos, take a look at: www.tiogringo.com/isla.html

Hope it helps!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I was thinking they'd be quite different. If I were to rank my needs like this:

- good a/c
- pool
- bar
- near beach
- nice room

in that order, would they measure differently? Does Playa Media Luna have a good bar/area to hang out in? I can tell the pool is much prettier at playa.
Thanks so much for your help!
(and, to put it in context --
we're traveling end of June
13 adults 11 kids, but we're the kid-less couple and are ok if we stay at the same place or not as the other folks. We just need a pool/bar/beach

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Everyone keeps saying Posada del mar, but what they decribing is actually Cabañas Maria del Mar. We stay there every year and like it. There are three sections. We always stay in the 'Cabañas' section which is close to the pool, trees, birds, very plaesant. Media Luna more expensive, not on beach--short walk to it--newer, tiny pool. Haven't stayed there, but looks OK. We prefer Maria del Mar.
Norm
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:58 AM

Posada del Mar is quite a bit cheaper than Cabanas Maria del Mar. I do think the original poster was asking about Posada del Mar. And I think Mark is also speaking about Posada.

Personally I'd stay at Media Luna, if there was availability, but I'm usually not traveling on a tight budget. If I was, I'd look seriously at Posada del Mar. Jean
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:37 AM

norbrad, we are looking at Cabanas Maria del Mar as Media Luna and Na Balam are having availability "issues" when we will be there.

I was also looking at the cabana rooms, and have some ?'s for you.

Were the rooms in the area quiet?
Were there a lot of kids around?
Was there a room fridge?
Was the A/C adequate?
Were you in the upstairs rooms or down?
If up, was it worth the extra $?

I was going to stay in a Castle room, but heard they were very noisy due to Buho's and thin walls in the rooms.

What else can you tell me about CMdM?

Thank you so much!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:46 AM

First, A apologize for my error. There is a Posada del Mar. Thought everyone was referring to Cabañas.

Margieco,

you asked:
Were the rooms in the area quiet? A. Yes, most of the time.
Were there a lot of kids around? A. We generally go when kids are in school (not summer months) so there are generally not a lot of kids around.
Was there a room fridge? A. Yes, but not plugged in. We don't use one, so didn't try it. I assume they work.
Was the A/C adequate? A. Yes.
Were you in the upstairs rooms or down?
A. Down.
If up, was it worth the extra $? A. As mentioned we stayed below. Climb enough stairs at home and like the patio outside of rooms for sitting, reading, bird watching, etc.

The CMdM is right on the beach, the restaurant is not bad--actually have had a couple of good meals there. Used to stay at Na Balam until they realized they were 'special'. But now perfectly happy with CMdM. We sometimes go in the off season--Oct. or Nov. Rates are around $75 p day.

If you have more Q's, ask and I shall respond. Buena suerte, Norm
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Gracias Norm!

Yes, Na Balam does seem to realize they are "special" and their prices reflect it for what you get...
I got so disgusted with them last year, I swore I would never stay there again (second time there), but I am addicted to their futon beach chairs/beds.

Sounds like the best plan is to stay at CMdM and rent the Na Balam chairs for the day. I thought I read somewhere that CMdM charges their guests (!?) for beach chair rental? If that is the case, it will make it even easier to justify the extra $ for the Na Balam chairs.

I can't see paying $350 to $400 more for a 6 night stay at Na Balam.

Did you notice the patios on the downstairs rooms to be larger than the balconies upstairs? Of course, that may be difficult to tell from below.

I am a very light sleeper, and I thought the upstairs rooms might be a little quieter - no overhead footsteps and less outside noise.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Have not stayed at PDM but LOVE Media Luna. I love the relative isolation, yet still only 5 minutes to North Beach and many restaurants.
Yes, the a/c is quite fine. I love the pool, however small, as you can sit in or around the pool and look at the ocean. There is a nice tide pool there to soak in. This beach area has no crowds at all like North beach.
Pool Bar? Not sure. There was bar inside and no pool bar when I was there a couple years ago. I've heard that you can now get service from the bar right next door at Secreto, but have not confirmed that.
Beach! Yes! It's sits directly on Playa Media Luna. A beautiful little cove with waves crashing on rocks, and like I mentioned a nice little tide pool to sit in.
Rooms are basic but nice enough with TV and mini fridge.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Diana,

Yes, the CMdM charges for beach chairs, but I don't know how much as we do not use them. We swim, walk on the beach, take a dip in the pool and then relax on our patio. Too fair- skinned for hours in the sun. I have not been up to the upper cabañas, so I am not sure, but think the ground floor patios are larger than the balconies. Have not had a problem with noise from upper guests as far as I can recall (which every year gets shorter).
Norm