Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

How's the SNORKELING at Manuel Antonio beaches, Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried snorkeling at Manuel Antonio beaches? How is the snorkeling? Which beach is best for snorkeling? I'm a timid snorkeler but I enjoy it if the water is calm enough and if the water is clear enough.

We'll be in Manuel Antonio for 4 nights
during our first family trip to Costa Rica in June.

Anything scary in the water at Manuel Antonio beaches?!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:38 PM

Post A Reply
Screen name:
tomas1

Reply:
Not so good, but I was told ahead of time not to expect much at MA. And, I've been spoiled in Cozumel and Grand Cayman with amazing snorkling.
I only tried where someone suggested; the far south end of the big beach inside the MA park, then out deeper along the south rocks. Too murky and not much coral or fish.
From the beach further north, outside the park entrance, there's some islands offshore that I was told were much better. Anyone go out there? There were Ticos on the beach with two-person Kayaks for rent (i think $20 for 2 hours) to go out there and snorkel. We ran out of time or I might have tried.

short story:
There's snorkel rentals close to the park entrance, about 100 yards up the street toward Quepos, right across the street from the beach massage tables.
We actually lost a mask and snorkle in the surf. We gave up after a while skimming the bottom of the water trying to find it - slim chance.
Anyway, we returned the fins and one mask/snorkle, remorsefully, ready to pay for what we lost.
The guy named Rogelio ended up saying:
"You know... I really don't want to take your money... just come back and visit me again!"
WOW! ... we demanded he give us his name and address. A week later we sent him a package with a few nice gift items. I sure hope he received it.
If you're there, and you meet Rogelio, tell him he's the greatest! and he's made some friends for life!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 03:03 AM

Not a lot of snorkeling ! Focus on other things !
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 08:20 AM

When I was there last July, there were to many waves to be able to snorkel and see anything, the water was murky and churned up, so it was not good at all. There may be places inside the park on a calm day, but I would also suggest looking for something else to do.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on snorkeling. Sounds like it's better not to bother planning for snorkeling. We'll just enjoy relaxing at the beaches, and seeing the rainforest.

Any opinions on the best beaches at Manuel Antonio area? Also, which beaches (if any) have bathrooms?

We're staying at Hotel Si Como No, which has a shuttle to the beach, I think, though I'm not sure which beach they take you to. We'll also have a rental car but I'm not sure how easy it is to park at the beaches?

Anyplace right near the beaches to buy your lunch?
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Loads of places to eat lunch outside the park , all along the little road behind the public beach . Inside the park there are a few washrooms on the path in behind the first 2 beaches . Playa espadilla Sur ( Beach 2 ) is a very pretty , long , curving beach . Playa Blanca ( beach 3 or Playa Manuel Antonio , Yup 3 names ! ) is the prettiest and calmest (imho). There is also the very sweet Beisanz Beach which is at the end of the road that takes u to Parador . The Tulemar beach is a little harder to get to as is Doctors beach .
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Loads of places to eat lunch outside the park , all along the little road behind the public beach . Inside the park there are a few washrooms on the path in behind the first 2 beaches . Playa espadilla Sur ( Beach 2 ) is a very pretty , long , curving beach . Playa Blanca ( beach 3 or Playa Manuel Antonio , Yup 3 names ! ) is the prettiest and calmest (imho). There is also the very sweet Beisanz Beach which is at the end of the road that takes u to Parador . The Tulemar beach is a little harder to get to as is Doctors beach . Parking is not a problem , there are fairly large parking areas .
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I didn't think the snorkeling was too bad inside the park proper...in the lagoon. Little coral but plenty of fish. Nothing scary in the water, though I did see a big caiman in a tide pool near the park entrance. It was probably more scared than you would be. Be careful at the public beach in MA, where Si Como No will drop you. I watched them pull a dead surfer out in 1999...strong currents/undertow...don't go out too far. It was a good beach, nonetheless.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

BirdsandBones, maybe I'm better off swimming in the tide pool with the caiman...
Faithie, thanks for the tips!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Back to snorkeling, don't be tempted to go out to the rocks opposite the beach at MA.
We paid to go out there and there were some fish but visibility was poor and it was quite rough. Ditto on the other great things to do. Body surfing at the public beach was terrific and had an awesome massage on the beach!