Columbus, Ohio airport hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter & I are flying into Columbus on the way to Granville, Ohio (Denison) for a college visit. I am thinking it would be easier to stay at a hotel by the Columbus airport rather than finding our way to Granville in the dark. Just wondering if the area by the airport is somewhat safe?
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM

Granville/Denison is only 35-45 minutes from CMH. All you need to do is take the beltway a little north out of the airport and take SR-161 east, follow the signs. Not a bad drive or hard to find. Stay there if you can get a place. We lived in Gahanna, next to the airport for several years and its not a bad area at all, at least a couple of years ago it wasn't.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 12:56 AM

I've stayed and flown out of that airport. Its reasonably safe and 3-4 hotels on property. Your plan is wise. I dont remember the names of the hotels, airport web sie should be able to help you
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Since I am usually the navigator & my husband driving, I would rather not stress out driving & navigating in the dark. Will look on th airport's website.
Betsy
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:29 AM

BetsyG:
Here is the website for hotels located at the airport:

http://www.internationalairportguide...rt_hotels.html

We've stayed at the Comfort Suites and Hampton Inn and have been very happy with both but I don't know why the Comfort Suites isn't listed on this site. The Candlewood and Springhill hotels are not located immediately at the airport. Probably the Baymont Inn would be the least expensive, but it just changed to that franchise and we haven't been there since the change.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:08 PM
LHG

BetsyG,
We are also going to Denison for a college visit. Do you have a trip report for me? What hotel did you choose? How did you like the university?
Thanks!

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:44 PM

To LHG, Denison is a gorgeous campus, my son looked at the school years ago. Then he chose a bigger school,Very charming upscale town of Granville seemed very safe
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

LHG,
We are leaving Monday, staying first night in Columbus, then next at Buxton Inn in Granville. Granville Inn was full & decided to stay "in town" rather than a little further away. After a day at Granville, back to Columbus & fly to Allentown to see Lafayette College in Easton, PA. I will post a report when we get back. Just curious, what other schools is your child applying to?
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM

I have a son at Denison and STRONGLY recommend the Fraley House B&B. It's just great. Staying in Granvilled is sweet. The two inns there, Granville Inn and Buxton are fine.

http://www.fraleyhouse.com/

Are you guys ever ont he college forum, collegeconfidential.com? Lots of info about Denison on there and at studentsreview.com.
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM

^ Geez, sorry about the bad typing!
Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
LHG

We are going to Denison in two weeks. I still haven't booked a room--thanks for the suggestions. I am aware of the college confidential website. I think it's great.

BetsyG, my son's choices are all over the country. His first two are on the west coast--we used to live in CA, now in PA. We are also going to Furman in three weeks. It's going to be a busy November!

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

LHG - Your son's list sounds like my daughter's, Brown to Santa Clara. Got back from Ohio & PA on Friday. Visited Denison, Lafayette & Lehigh. The Lehigh visit wasn't planned but we had some extra time & managed to arrive just in time for a tour. Denison seemed isolated, Granville was nice but she may be looking for more diversity. Liked Lafayette & was impressed by Lehigh's campus. Do you have an opinion about Lehigh? Now trying to decide if it is worth a visit to Pomona & Pitzer when we go to Santa Clara. Thinking about trying to get to a midwest trip - Drake, Bradley & Washington U in St. Louis. Should have started this earlier! Let me know how your visits were. Betsy
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:29 PM
LHG

I hit the post instead of the preview, so sorry about the typos!

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 02:45 PM
LHG

I'm having trouble with the site tonight. My original post seems to be deleted...

BetsyG,
I was so glad to see your post. I am aware that Granville is a small town. My son has a friend that attends, likes it, so we are going next weekend for the overnight visit. He will also be meeting with a coach. Next, we will visit Pitt, then Santa Clara. We went to Pepperdine in July. It is high on the list.
I'm glad you liked Lafayette. We really don't know much about the university. Most kids here just say the town of Easton is not very nice. I haven't been to Lehigh in many years, but seems to have a great reputation. Has your D considered Bucknell? It is also in a small town, but I know a lot more about it than the other two you've mentioned. I haven't been much help to you, but we will have to compare notes on Santa Clara. Good luck!