help! hotels near Midway Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an early flight out of Midway and want to spend the night somewhere near the airport (close enough not to have to worry about traffic). Hotwire has excellent prices for the following areas: Oak Brook, Bolingbrook, Hinsdale, Lisle-Naperville. Are these areas relatively safe? Which area would you recommend? Hotwire doesn't tell me the name of the hotel until after I commit, but sometimes I can figure it out based on what ammenities the hotel has (such as a resturant and pool). Any suggestions? Thanks for helping me!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM

None of the names you mention are at all close to the airport. They are all at least a 45 minute ride and some are even further.

Try the website for Midway Airport. The airport is right on Cicero Ave, so you might try a web yellow pages search for hotels. Also get a map of Chicago and that would also help with the names of towns close to the airport.

Other than that I would suggest staying downtown, at the Hilton, although I am sure there are hotels very close to the airport.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:04 PM

There is a hotel strip near Midway with all the usual brand names. The neighborhood is pretty dodgey, you're not going to want to go out exploring, but I'm sure the hotels all offer airport shuttle. The areas you list are quite far out and battling traffic to get to the airport could be a nightmare.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM

Isnt' there a Holiday Inn and a Hampton nearby? Go on Holiday Inn's website. Many times they have internet saver rates. Make sure the hotel provides transfers to the airport, though.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM

Another option would be to stay in the Loop and catch the Orange Line train to the airport. It takes less than 30 minutes. A cab will take about 20 minutes if you miss rush hour. The Orange Line trains go around the Loop downtown - North Michigan Avenue is on another line and would require a transfer of trains. Hotwire gave you terrible information - not one of those suburbs is within 10 miles of Midway.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
MightyIsis

Sorry, Takemethere, but those towns you have mentioned are far away from Midway (especially Lisle and Bolingbrook), and all have wicked traffic situations of their own to deal with, which would make getting to your early morning flight a big hassle. Midway is technically in Chicago city limits, yet Oak Lawn is an adjacent suburb. You might try that town. Try calling Southwest Airlines to see if they'll tell you where they put people when flights get stuck and they have to get rooms for passengers.

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:16 PM

I was in this same predicament just a couple of weeks ago. I found a Sleep Inn on Cicero, just South of the airport. There was also a Fairfield Inn and a Holiday Inn. The Sleep Inn had a free airport shuttle, too.

BEWARE: Midway is NOT in a nice neighborhood!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:28 PM
Jun20

There is a Holiday Inn in Oak Lawn, which is 4.5 miles from Midway. It's on 95th Street, east Cicero Avenue. I checked their website, and they have a complimentary shuttle on the hour to Midway. A midweek rate was $70.50 on the internet. That would be a better neighborhood.

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. The airport shuttle isn't important because we will be parking at the airport. I will try some of your suggestions and see what I get. Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm back again! I see some ok prices in Burbank, Oak Lawn, Bridgeview, and Bedford Park. Are these all ok? They're all under three miles to Midway (so the website says). Help!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:34 PM

For ease of getting to the airport quickly and with no traffic hassle, you want a motel on Cicero Avenue with shuttle service. In Chicago. Check some of the chain hotel sites and ask for a Chicago Midway Airport location.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Burbank and Oak Lawn are both solid, middle class suburbs. They are miles away from Michigan Avenue, if you know what I mean, but I think they will be fine for what you need. Don't know anything about Bridgeview and Bedford Park; those are fairly small towns.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 01:59 AM

All of the places you mentioned are down right - up right. But they are not near Midway airport.

I live in Naperville, and all of the places you've mentioned are my neighboring communities and I would consider them all safe.

Oak Brook and Hinsdale have the up most reputations, as far as home prices go.

Naperville was voted the "best place to raise a family" by Money Magazine.

And I would recommend any of these areas as a safe and a nice place to visit, but they are not near Midway Airport.

Oakbrook is probably the closest (about 30 minutes from Midway). Most of the Oakbrook hotels are near the toll way and Oakbrook Mall. You can look up "Oakbrook Center" on the net.

The hotels in Oakbrook, I've never been to, but I wouldn't worry. Most of the hotels are right near the mall, and the stores in the mall are mostly upscale.
The mall hosts plenty of restaurants, clubs, large movie theater, etc.

In Oakbrook, there is no beach, no ocean, no lakes, no mountains or rivers nearby. But Oakbrook is a nice and safe place to visit.

And if you decide to visit Naperville, be sure to see our "river-walk", it's great!

Cherish

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM

We have flown out of Midway several times and have stayed at the Fairfield Inn-Midway. There are several other hotel properties there too. It's about a mile from the airport and very accessible. Yeah, the area isn't the best, but has never been a concern to me. There's a TGI Fridays on the property for dinner so you don't have to leave until you're ready to go to the airport. As for parking at the airport, we also did that last year when we didn't stay the night and would not do it again. The price was way too expensive. Unless you have a way to get discounted parking I would highly suggest staying at the hotel and leaving your car while you're gone. They may charge you a small fee, but it will still be way less than airport parking. FYI, there's a Target real close in case you get to the hotel and discover you've forgotten something for your trip.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, I have a room at the Sheraton 4 Points at Midway for around $80 and it's 5 miles from airport. (from hotwire)