christmas day in san fran

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:00 PM
amy

christmas day in san fran

hello all,

could you please give me any ideas on how to spend christmas day in san fran? we would like to visit glide church on christmas but we have no idea what to do afterwards - we don't want to be stuck in the hotel (grand hyatt).

thank-you all for your time

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Shane

Why would you want to be in San Francisco on Christmas Day? As in most cities, many places are closed on Christmas Day. And Glide Church of all places. I suppose that you could stand in line with the other 10,000 + homeless people for a free meal.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:19 AM
gail

You might check with your hotel. I find that they really know what is open and activities that are available during major holidays. You might try the Chamber of Commerce Web site as well.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:34 AM
amy

thanks applejax.

sharon,

we're staying in the area during that week but we have no idea what to do on christmas day. the only suggestion i received from friends who live in the area is to participate in the service at glide church. no need to be obnoxious.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Richard

amy,

I don't think Shane was being obnoxious at all. He is exactly right.

Richard

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:49 AM
amy

shane,

sorry. i just wanted some helpful advice.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Shane

Amy,

Sorry, I did not mean to come across as being obnoxious. But truthfully not much will be open in SF on that day and Glide Church typically serves meals to the homeless on Christmas Day.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Faina

Not sure if anything will be opened on X-mas and of course you will need dinner reservations more then ever. Go from hotel to hotel to see them decorated. Or go to Union Square, peer 39, Embarcadero - this is where they put up the trees. There is a huge celebration of new year on Embarcadero if you will be here.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:27 AM
gc

Amy,
Why don't you call Glide Church and ask them if you can help serve the meal?

It could make for a memorable day, and may help you find the magic in Christmas.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 09:35 AM
xxx

The only thing open is movie theaters (and possibly Chinese restaurants)

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 11:04 AM
lizbeth

Hello Amy,
Many of the downtown hotels and some independent restaurants have Christmas dinner menus which are quite festive. Check out chowhound.com, and of course plan on reserving.
Since other commercial venues won't be open on Christmas Day, why not make this a "walking" day in your vacation - take a bus out to a neighborhood with beautiful Victorians and admire decorations, etc. The weather could be cool and rainy or it could be crisp and clear, but a sure bet it won't be snowy and bone chilling! How's this plan - church service at Glide or other place in the morning, afternoon walk and then Christmas dinner in the evening?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:07 PM
Emma

Amy - I live in San Francisco, and I've found the situation at Christmas fairly good: although many venues are closed, your options aren't limited to Chinese take-out! Many restaurants are open, either serving a special Xmas dinner, or (mostly in the case of ethnic restaurants) as a matter of course. I've been out of town for the last few Christmases, but the last time I was here, my friends and I met mid-day for a picnic & a few games of tennis in Mission Dolores Park, and then, after heading home to shower/change, went out to dinner at a fairly upscale Persian restaurant (Maykedeh, in North Beach). Finally, we stopped off at a neigbourhood bar (Noe's, at the corner of Church & 24th, but many similar bars are open all over the city) for eggnog before heading home. Corner shops are open all day, and even big supermarkets are usually open for a few hours on Christmas day. Some friends of mine who were in town last Christmas had dinner at the Straits Cafe (Singaporean cuisine). I would check sidewalk.com for San Francisco and sfgate.com beginning in November - they usually run features on what restaurants/clubs are open on Xmas day. Also check chowhound.com, as Lizbeth suggested above.

Don't forget, the weather in December is usually very nice, if a touch cold - any outdoor activity you like (walking, biking, tennis, boating) can probably be arranged as well, and either with a car or via public transportation, you can make an excursion north, south, or east of the city, on Christmas as well as at any other time.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:55 AM
kam

It could be raining that early but hopefully not. I would ask if Muir Woods and Pt. Reyes Seashore are open. Glide Church is fine or you could attend a service at the beautiful Grace Cathedral on the top of Nob Hill (it's episcopal and the doors are cast from the same molds that Ghiberti made for the Baptistry doors in Florence) I'm sure the Palace Hotel will be doing something wonderful in the Garden Court restaurant on Christmas. I think it would be great to be in SF on Christmas Day and pretty much have the city to myself. Unfortunately, I'll be tied to the kitchen stove that day! go to www.sfvisitors.org or www.sfgate.com in a few months.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 12:25 PM
seamus

You can get wonderful walking tours from the public library. Ghirardelli Square usually has a nice tree.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 10:31 AM
vox

Glide Memorial isn't only for the homeless. It's actually become quite the tourist attraction. Don't assume it's only meals for the homeless on Christmas Day.

Bono goes there when he's in town.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 03:32 PM
nicki

Manka's resort in Inverness does a lovely Christmas dinner and it's close to Pt. Reyes and Muir Woods. Why not spend the night there and enjoy the country?

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Jane

A few years ago my husband & I spent Xmas Day in SF. We spent the day walking - the streets were very quiet until we came upon Chinatown - it was simply buzzing and we enjoy a delightful meal in a tiny restaurant. It remains one of my most memorable Xmas Days ever. Have fun.