Tours operating Xmas Day?? San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you please advise if tours such as to Alcatraz would operate Xmas and day after?
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Alcatraz is not open for visits Christmas Day. You can go the day after, when I imagine most if not all sites will be open.

See
http://www.nps.gov/alca/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Did you find a place to stay?

Sometimes we are blessed with a chilly but sunny Christmas. I've enjoyed walking on Ocean Beach and through Golden Gate Park on these occasions.

Here is a link to restaurants open Christmas Day, though I don't imagine it's comprehensive:
http://tinyurl.com/yzt2zx
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM

I think I meant "sights" not "sites" (I used to know the difference, believe it or not).

Movies theaters will be open.

The Contemporary Jewish Museum is open at least part of the day and I read they are having a special program. thecjm.org.

If you're interested, Christmas Day is also usually a nice day to attend a church service. My parents used to take us to Glide on Christmas when we were little tiny girls.

There are big slides near Kite Hill. Take wax paper and a sense of adventure and down you go. Be careful! http://tinyurl.com/y8e6x7

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Wow, Leely, how did you find out about this Kite Hill? I always read all kind of tourist booklets and local info, never heard of it!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.
Leely we will end staying in the Hotel Diva as were given a free nights stay in compensation and maybe breakfasts and we checked around and mostly everywhere else is booked out so it seemed to be the best bet. We hope so anyway. We'll soon know if we made the right decision or not!!!!
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Faina, we (my sister and I) used to go to those slides when we were children. I've been back as an adult and thought, "Wow, I could break my tooth if I landed the wrong way!"

janmart, have a lovely time. I *think* my mother has stayed at the Diva once or twice when she's had to come to the city for some kind of function. You'll be near the theater district if that appeals. Also near the nudie-theater district if that appeals. Kidding, kidding.

Do keep your eye on sfgate.com. They may have more info about events and what's open Christmas Day as we approach the holiday.

And of course I'm sure the front desk at the Diva will be able to direct you.

Have a wonderful visit. I've got my fingers crossed for good weather.