Christmas Day in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to connect with someone living in the city who can advise on what to do in SF Christmas Day. We are overnighting there on our way to Bangkok. We arrive at 3pm and leave the 26th at midnight.

Is there anything going on in the city on Christmas Day? Or should we just plan on watching some movies at the hotel?

What about restaurants? Anyone know of any that have special Christmas Day Dinners?

Thanks for any info you can give.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:43 AM

If Campton Place is open, I think it would be a lovely place to eat - brunch or dinner. the food and service are excellent and it offers a comfortable elegance.

Union Square will have a big tree and all the stores are decorated - so you can spend an hour wandering there before or after your meal.

Or - you could probably find a Chinese restaurant. that would be fun!

Ghirardelli Square will be lit up - and maybe McCormack and whatevers..?) will be open for a meal - with a great view of the Bay.

have fun!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:19 AM

A fair number of restaurants have special Christmas dinner seatings. As the poster above suggests, a hotel restaurant such as Campton Place (a restaurant with an excellent rep apart from the hotel) is a good bet.

Movie houses are open (ask my Jewish friends about that!). Chinatown is bustling. Pacific Heights, with house-proud holiday decorations, would be a nice area for a walk.

Weather is anyone's guess. Rain, most likely - but we've had anything from storms to calm 70's during Christmas week.

But don't worry about the city being "dead" just because it's Christmas. This is San Francisco, and we'll take care of you better than that!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Truthfully, knowing what's ahead in Bangkok (CRAZY) it will be nice to just relax, stroll about (even if under an umbrella) and have a nice meal.

I will keep hunting for a place with a nice Christmas Day Dinner and get a reservation.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM

hello offwego, The SF Chronical always has information regarding Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. The website is www.sfgate.com. You will find some good information there as we approach the holidays.

San Francisco is beautiful during the holidays, even when it is raining.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Excellent idea! Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Post your Christmas dinner question at chowhound.com. The SF section of the site is rabid...oops, poor choice of words! I meant it's quite active, so you'll probably get a number of replies.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:41 PM

If you're interested in doing something non-traditional on Christmas night, I'd suggest Kung Pao Kosher Comedy which bills itself as "Jewish comedy on Christmas in a Chinese restaurant." Its held at the New Asia restaurant in Chinatown. There are 2 shows a night - a dinner show around 6 with so-so Chinese food & a cocktail show later in the evening. We have dinner elsewhere in Chinatown & then go to the late show. There are usually 3-4 stand-up comics per show (some of whom are quite well known). Tickets go on sale in October & usually sell out fast. Here's the website - the comics will be announced on the website as well: http://www.koshercomedy.com/kungpao/