Reload this Page >

low cost airfare upgrades?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:39 PM
katrina

llast week i read an article in newspaper about low cost (about $40) upgrades to business class/1st class when seats are available. it said that people paying full coach fares were more LIKELY to get to buy the upgrades,etc. which airlines are doing this...i am flying from hartford CT to ohare airport next month and have a choice between united and american airlines and if either airline is doing this cheap upgrade thing, i would rather choose the one that might sell me a cheap upgrade (if i am dressed professionally etc).....karen

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:13 PM
xxx

They write that people who pay full fare are sometimes upgraded to business for free. I can attest this isn't true. I have flown full fare coach a number of times when we weren't paying and the gate agent always looked at me like I was a cheapskate and said no. Hubby was wearing a very expensive suit and carrying his slide kit. United just started offering inexpensive upgrades when the flight isn't very full. The key is to be on an empty flight. Not sure about AA.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 10:41 PM
xxx

Just say your post on the airlines board. Wrote in above, my hubby is a cardiologist and does pharm. talks on business. You may want to make the reservation with the M.D. part included - it a flight attendant needs your assistance they'll move you to 1st class afterwards. On a very fortunate flight from here to the uk a flight attendant moved us to Virgin's upper class just for administering a shot to another person in first. But that was back in the good ole'days before you had to worry about being sued for doing something to help someone. I know AA is a codeshare with US Air, maybe AA accepts their miles to upgrade. Call US & ask perhaps. Good luck = )

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Howard

I don't know if I'd bother for a two-hour flight...unless, of course, it was a free upgrade.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Dick

xxx,

American does not code share with US Airways. United and US Airways code share.

Dick

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Ken

Actually, Dick, United and USAirways do NOT codeshare yet. This has been announced but hasn't been approved by the Dept. of Transportation nor implemented.

American and USAirways USED to have reciprocal frequent flyer arrangements but never codeshared to any great degree.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 09:24 AM
xxx

Yeah, that's what I meant Ken. I remember giving my AA account when flying US. No more? bummer = )

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 11:36 AM
tweedy

The easiest way to get upgraded is to join one of the "clubs". I have been a member of the American, United, USAir and Delta (btw you get free drinks in the Delta club). That was when I was traveling 200,000 miles a year.

I was a member of the Delta club until 9/11 and let my membership lapse and it cost me alot the trip I just took to Atlanta last week. I was done with business a couple days early and wanted to go home. If I was a member of the Crown Room they would have put me standby on the next flight, but because I was no longer a member, they not only wanted more money, they wanted $350 more to change my ticket and for a penalty. My ticket originally was only $250,......so guess what I did,,,,,I took the bus home. Left Atlanta at 9pm and arrived back home in NYC at 3pm the next day, NOT a fun trip.

I was so mad at Delta, ticking off business travelers is not a good idea and now I am going to write a couple of nasty letters.

Back to the question:

Those upgrades you are talking about are usually part of a frequent flyer program. I used to get them in the mail or could order them or buy them at the "clubs". With all the downs in travel now, you might check with the airline on what the rules are now for upgrades.

Good luck with your trip.

tweedy

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 01:12 PM
that welsh woman

don't now if this is any good to you but we have managed to upgrade many times on many different airlines(virgin,ba,united airlines)just by arriving early, going to the airline desk(preferably the ticket desk not the check in if they have one open)and asking if any upgrades are available quite often you can upgrade for a very nominal fee.must point out we have only done this on interenational flights.

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:12 PM
katrina

thanks so much everyone for your input on the low cost upgrades and info about whether i could use my 140,000 US Air miles on american or united (bc us air does not fly the CT-Ohare route directly). in any event, i did find that you can buy upgrade certificates on ebay for under 100.00 usually (international upgrades sell for much more), though at least on American, you can only use them if you paid a lot for your ticket initially (it excludes certain "classes" of tickets, ie all the cheap fares, and of course, only if 1st class is not sold out....karen

Old Aug 18th, 2002, 04:21 PM
kkj

You will get more responses if you post in the correct forum - airplanes.

Good luck on your trip.