Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

United FF program - how can one earn .5 segments?

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While viewing FF statement from UA, noted that # segments this year was 6.5 (Premier status - which is just one level up from basic FF status). Trips were 3 RT Bos-Chicago, all non-stop.
I can not figure out how this is 6.5 segments and not 6 segments - but not interested enough to call and talk to someone in India working for UA - so thought I would ask here.

Does not appear that it involves any hotel or other partner. Any guesses?
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I also have a .5 EQS--16.5 for the year so far. The way this often happens is that first, business, and full (Y/B) economy fares earn 150% elite qualifying miles and segments. So, perhaps one of his segments was a first/business/full-fare economy segment. Or, perhaps he had a segment that was re-booked due to a cancellation. Re-booked segments sometimes end up as full-fare Y, regardless of the fare orignally paid. That was how I earned my .5 segment. My original, bottom-of-the-barrel "L" fare-basis segment was cancelled and re-booked (as Y) due to weather, and I ended up getting 150% EQM and EQS for it. Too bad it was just a 600-mile DCA-ORD flight and not a longer one.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:44 AM

It's a class-of-service bonus. One of your segments was in a class that gets a 50% bonus, for both miles and segments.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Class of service bonus. One of the segments must have been in first class. Pretty sure that full fare economy would also get the bonus.

If you (your DH?) didn't buy a first class ticket or Y/B fare, then maybe you upgraded with miles or a certificate and then the flight got rebooked into F.

This happened to me twice when I had used SWUs to upgrade on a flight from cheap economy to business class. In both cases a flight was cancelled and I was rebooked as a C fare. I got the class of service bonus miles and segments and got my SWU back.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - it is my husband's account and since one of these trips was last minute, it is possible only fare available was full fare economy. He also had a flight that ended up with him stranded in Chicago for an extra day and a half and got rebooked several times - so that could be it as well.

Not that it really matters in the end - I was just curious - since he has 6 more BOS-ORD trips in next weeks - probably will collect another half segment in that way.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I am a slow typer, I see now that ms_go had a similar experience with rebooking.

The first time for me was LHR->LAX and the COS bonus was 1364 EQMs and .5 EQS.

The second time was SGN->HKG->SFO and the bonus was 2728 EQM and .5 EQS

These were both last year which I finished with something like 100,019 EQMs and 49.5 EQS. There was one more segment LAX-PIT that didn't post until January, but it was the COS bonuses that got me over the 1K level.

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 12:28 PM

If you look at his mileage summary on united dot com then the redeemable miles table has a column showing "Fare bonus". The flight that earned the half segment would be the one that has a non-zero fare bonus.