Choice of Cancun Hotel (3)

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choice of Cancun Hotel (3)

Can someone tell me which of these 3 hotels would be the best to stay at in Cancun? Presidente Intercontinental, Camino REal, Fiesta Americana. We were told they are all in about the same price range. Any opinion will be helpful. Also, we want to be where the activity is, so if the location of these is a hindrance to that, please advise. Thank you again.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:17 PM

Nancy, I'd choose between the Intercontinental and the Camino Real, and try for their club rooms.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:30 PM

I have only been to Camino Real and wouldn't recommend it. A high percentage of the guests there (and this wasn't during spring break) were very drunk teenagers who not only kept us up all night but made the pool and pool bar seem more like a kegger than a resort. I was sick from something I ate since day 2 of the trip - I had eaten two meals - one at the hotel and one at a "nice" restaurant, so be careful. I hope you have a better time than I did!
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:34 PM

I know you probably want a clear cut answer, but in my opinion, you can't really go wrong with most hotels in Cancun. As long as they are on a nice stretch of beach (vs. the part with a lot of seaweed), you'll be fine and will have a great time.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Which Fiesta Americana?
I stayed at the Condesa and the rooms and public areas were simply awesome!
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:30 PM

I have stayed at all of those hotels and would recommend - actually, I think I am the one who originally recommended them to you - them in this order:

Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach
Presidente Intercontinental
Camino Real
Fiesta Americana Condesa (not as centrally-located as the others)

The FAGCB may be out of your range if I remember correctly, but if not, it is VERY nice.

Any of the above are some of the nicer hotels in Cancun. Not the very best (with the exception of FAGCB which is), but all excellent choices.

The times I have stayed at Camino Real, I did not notice any loud guests, so I think that may have been an isolated incident that snowrooster reported. This is a big well-run hotel, and I would have complained to the manager about this issue. The hotel caters to adults, and it seems quite odd to me that a "high percentage" of the guests were drunk teens?

Frankie is right about the Club Level rooms. Definitely go for those as the perks are worth the extra expense.

Any of these would be an excellent choice.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:38 PM

I have no reason to lie - I think if you check my many posts on this board this is probably the only hotel I've complained about. We did call security one night when we were awoken in the wee hours of the morning. The teens in the room above us were actually dropping things down on our balcony (including a lit cigar). The call didn't seem to help and as the majority of guests were young partiers (and we aren't old - in our 20's at the time and up for a few drinks) they seemed to be the ones running the hotel. That was my experience at Camino Real. I wouldn't argue that someone else could have a completely different experience, but that was mine.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 05:10 PM
alg

You may get additional replies if you repost your question on the Latin American board. We are staying at the Le Meridien in April and I was able to pull previous reviews on the L.A. board (and check tripadvisor)