oasis cancun

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:14 AM
jen

oasis cancun

Has anyone ever stayed at the oasis cancun hotel? It looks really nice on the internet, with these huge mile long pools and beautiful grounds. We are thinking of going there as a group next year. We went as a couple a few years ago and stayed at the calinda beach and spa which was nice, but wanted something different and the oasis pools looked incredible!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 04:04 PM
ann

did not stay there, it is in a good part of the hotel zone, but while on a bus, a fellow was talking about staying there, and said the oasis was o.k., but they didn't seem to believe in air conditioning!!!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 02:24 PM
angie

jen, if you liked the Calinda, which is truly one of the worst hotels in Cancun, you will love the Oasis! It is only average or less compared to all your choices in Cancun but it is a luxury hotel compared to the Calinda!

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 08:03 AM
jen

Well Angie, just because I am not a stuck up snob like you and don't spend $500 a night on a room, doesn't mean a place is horrible. THe Calinda was very clean and our room was nice and the pool was big and clean and right on the beach. THe food was great and the service was great and price reasonable. That is what matters to me, not what snotty stuck up losers like you think. THe only way to make yourself feel better is to put down others

Thanks to everyone else. My main question was if it was clean, how was the food and pool area, etc. Thanks!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Lyn

Wow, Jen, I wouldn't be so quick to bite the hand that feeds you. I think Angie is just trying to give you some good advice here and she's correct in that the Calinda is not a great hotel and it's not located on a nice beach at all. The Oasis has an absolutely fabulous pool area and it's located on a beautiful long stretch of beach... much different than the Calinda. Don't go in August though as the pool tends to be on the warm side.

Someone else stated that the Oasis seems to have a problem with their AC and that is also correct. We could never get our room very cool and the staff never seemed to care. Make sure if you go there you stay at the Grand Oasis (the newer part of the Oasis). The rooms are MUCH nicer at the Grand and yes they were clean when we stayed there.

Don't go All-Inclusive at this property. The food is fine for breakfast and lunch but we found the restaurants to be horrible for dinner. Another hint...don't go AI at a hotel unless the whole hotel is AI. Otherwise, the All-Inclusive folks really get the shaft and you are treated differently than the "pay as you go" crowd.

And, Jen for your info, it's pretty difficult to spend anywhere near $500/night for a hotel in Cancun so get your facts straight honey and don't be so quick to blow off steam!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:47 PM
gayle

Stayed there several years ago. Although the beach and water look great beware! A young man drowned while we were there as there is sometimes a terrific undertow. Most of the beaches in the hotel zone scare me.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Mark

I stayed there with my sister and parents back in December 1992. The grounds were beautiful, the rooms were comfortable and clean enough, but they showed the wear and tear of many spring breaks! The pools were cool in that you could find a new spot to hang out every day which kept you from getting bored. I don't think I got in the water even once during the week, because it was red flag the whole time. It is more than halfway down the beach from the main town, but taxis and shuttels did the trick.