Helcopter kaui-interisland or air kaui

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helcopter kaui-interisland or air kaui

Hi everyone, I know this topic has been posted before but I am vasilating back and forth between the two tours. I really would love to land at the waterfall and swim and have a nice lunch but that part that bothers me is having no window or door between myself and the ground when I am 1000 feet or more in the air. I would also think that the wind is so great while you are flying that you cannot even hear the pilot speaking to you when you are flying and that it is too windy. I would like to hear from people who have flown on Interisland and let me know there thoughts about the trip. Thanks
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:28 AM
iceeu2

We did InterIsland. The no doors was pretty frightening to me for the entire duration of the flight. DH loved it and we do have magnificent photos. You can hear the pilot thru the headphones ok.
We did the waterfall landing. If I did InterIsland again (and, I won't because I am chicken), I would not do the waterfall landing. There are so many waterfalls on Kauai..and, the lunch was good, but just a sandwich, chips, piece of fruit, cookie and a beverage. While at the waterfall for lunch, it was a nice time to talk with the pilot and ask lots of questions and hear some interesting stories.

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM

We also took the Interisland flight. The no doors part did not bother me because you are really strapped in well. The water in the pool under the waterfall is COLD though, and it was a little chilly flying back after the swim. The pictures turned out really well, without the glare you get from taking pictures through windows. I actually sat next to the pilot and I was sheltered from most of the wind. My husband was on the side right next to the open door and he had a blast! You do need to make sure to wear long pants and maybe bring a light jacket for after the swim. We enjoyed the experience, and the people who sat in the back said that they enjoyed the flight as well.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 12:09 PM

WE did the Inter-island flight last month and it was the absolutely the highlight of the entire trip. It is windy without windows but you are securely strapped in. Be sure to put hair up or you will have tons of tangles etc. You were headphones and press a button when you want to talk to anyone including the pilot. He also talks to you telling you what you are seeing.

The pilot was very competent and I felt very safe considering I was in a small helicopter with no doors.

The waterfall landing picnic and swim was fabulous. I felt like I was in paradise. Now the water is very cold as it is fresh water but I gritted my teeth and got an anyway. Be sure to wear jeans and sweat shirt over swimsuite as the wind is cold up there.

Unless you are afraid of heights in a big way do this flight you won't regret it

Kay
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Re: waterfalls and swimming in Hawai`i

Hello folks -- do you know what comes over those waterfalls??? Rocks...some big; some small. Plus branches, logs, and trees. Dangerous "playgrounds".

Fresh water in those pools/rivers? Not on your life, due to the excrement from the animals which live above those falls (both domestic and feral).

And if there are houses upland of the river or "pool" you're in, there is a very good probability that the cesspool or septic tank is leaching right into that waterway. Very few residences on our island are connected to sewer lines.

Yes, the tourist brochures provide lovely photos of the waterfalls...but nearly every waterway in this state can give you one _miserable_ leptosporosis infection.

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Yes - everything in life has it's risks.

I chose not to miss this once in a lifetime experience and will not miss the opportunity if it comes around again in Hawaii.

Kay
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:18 PM

auntie,
Your remarks about lepto made me think of the latest episode of "Lost". The survivors found this cave/grotto place inland that has a waterfall with "fresh water" and they drink it. All I could think of was the awful time a friend had as a result of getting giardia a few years back from drinking water from a stream in the High Sierras above Yosemite. YUCK!!!!!!
-Bill