Chicago -- with teens

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago -- with teens

I'm taking a two day trip to Chicago with 4 teens (ages 17 & 18) next month. We have rooms at the Marriott downtown and plans to visit the Art Institute. What else?

The two boys are into music - mostly jazz and funk. The girls would like to shop. The boys like American food. The girls prefer Asian (especially Vietnamese).

I'd like suggestions for inexpensive, funky, restaurants, music venues and other happenings that are within walking distance. Can you help?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 09:57 PM

I use the below WEB sites a lot to find entertainment for out-of-town guests. Your kids should probably visit the below WEB sites and tell you their interests.

http://www.chireader.com
http://www.metromix.com

For window shopping, the Magnificent Mile/Water Tower Place is a good place to go. The Argyle area has good Vietnamese food. I heard that Green Mill has good jazz, but I have only heard the poetry readings over there.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, shorty. My kid and his friends have been looking at Metromix but it's a little overwhelming. We live in a teeny tiny town and, while three of the four have traveled quite a bit, they've never had a trip planned solely on their interests. They want to do EVERYTHING ;^)

I thought Water Tower might hold their interest but the last time I was there it seemed that many of the shops are beyond their shopping budgets. What do you think of Foodlife? From their website it looks like it meets our requirements for distance, variety and cost but I can't help be suspicious about mall food?

I'll check out the Green Mill. I saw something on them but I wasn't clear whether or not it was all ages so I didn't look very close.

Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:37 AM

I wouldn't take the kids to the Green Mill - it's out of the way (a half-hour north) and doesn't get going until LATE. You are within walking distanve of two good jazz clubs - Andy's and the Jazz Showcase. I don't know about the underage policy at Andy's, but Jazz Showcase has a Sunday, 4 p.m. show most weeks that is free for young people. They call it "Save the Children." Note, though, that the acts at both these places are pretty sedate.

Be sure to check out House of Blues roster (definitely NOT sedate.) Let the kids wander around in the daytime - there's lots of unscripted things to see and do. Walk to/from the Art Institute through Grant Park and Columbus Drive. And Corner Bakeries are great for quick food that generally keeps everyone happy!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Corner Bakeries are great, especially the one in the Cultural Center on Michigan Av. Be sure to go to the Jazz Record Mart on the street behind the Nordstroms-it's a big old independent place.There are a couple of Big Bowl Restaurants-don't know if it's a chain but my 2 kids really like the oriental food and it's reasonable for Chicago. For a special lunch go to the Signature Room on 95th floor of the Hancock building. It's $15 for an all you want buffet with decent food and a fabulous view. You can requst a city-side window seat and have the city at your feet.Gino's East, Pizzaria Uno, or Giardanos for pizza> Both of my kids(19& 21) liked the Second City comedy show($17), and Loved, loved, loved, Blue Man Group. You can get Hot Tix(1/2 price)sometimes for Blue Man.You can take the el to the shows. The Billy Goat Tavern is off Michigan Av if they've seen those old Sat Night Live "cheezbuger, cheezbuger" skits. Everything is more expensive than it is at home!
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Kal

ESPNZOne has something for all of them to do. Games, food, TV..

Maggiano's had big ol' plates of cheap Italian food they would like to chow down too.

As mentioned before, the House of BLues is a nice place to eat lunch and listen to the blues music they play throughout the day. The sometimes have a live band in the lower bar area. Their Sunday Gospel Brunch is nice.

If they are interested in baseball, check and see if the Cubs offer tours of Wrigley Field this early in the "season". A Baseball history lesson.

Ditto eileen's suggestion on the Hancock Bldg. The bar above the restaurant has a great view too. Nice stop for a soda or a cup of coffee (Irish?).
Hard Rock Cafe, Rock n Roll McDonalds.
Man! I need a Gino's pie now!
Kal
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:53 PM

As suggested by Eileen, Big Bowl is a good alternative for relatively inexpensive Thai food (159 W. Erie) closer to the hotel. Argyle Street is pretty far north and not within walking distance of your hotel.

Another idea if you get tickets to Blue Man Group (Briar Street Theater, 3133 N. Halsted) is Penny's Noodles (3400 N. Sheffield, about a 1/2 mile away). I've never eaten there but I've seen recommendations out here from time to time.

The 1/2 price hot tix booth is a great idea if you want to pop in for tickets on the day of the performance (Sat/Sun also sold on Friday). You may not get Blue Man tickets if it's a Saturday though. Same goes for Second City
tickets.

Boston Blackie's, 164 E. Grand, is a good recommendations for burgers/American food. Heaven on Seven, 600 N. Michigan, is good for casual cajun. Cafe Iberico, 739 N. LaSalle, for Spanish tapas, great for trying lots of different dishes as they are server in appetizer size portions.

Or you might take a cab over to Greektown for a fun meal. Or maybe spend a morning in Chinatown in the junk stores and have some dim sum for lunch.

The Lakeview area around Belmont and Clark may have shopping more geared towards the girls. You could combine this with Blue Man Group as they are fairly close.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 04:52 PM

I am Asian and think that Big Bowl is ok, but there is better food in Chicago.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:48 PM

I re-read your posting. Since your kids have very different tastes in food, Big Bowl is probably good because of the variety.

I agree with the other posters that taking your teens to some kind of show is probably better than taking them to some kind of club. Second City is good if your family likes comedy. I liked Mainstage better than the Etc Stage.

I don't know of any particular areas in Chicago which are good for discount shopping.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:19 PM

You have a lot of great suggestions here for teens. I would definetly try to get Blue Man Group tickets. Everyone will love it. Maggiano's is a good suggestion for dinner if the kids are big eaters. You get a lot of food. You can even do family style so they can try several things. Another asian restaurant you might want to try is PF Changs. It is a chain but close to your hotel and it is pretty good. There is also Star of Siam which is a good Thai restaurant and it is very reasonable. It is a couple of doors down from the Jazz Record Mart. As far as music, most of the clubs mentioned do card after a certain hour (maybe 9 pm?) You might also want to try Scoozi. It is Italian and a little further from your hotel but seems to have a pretty young crowd (20s) but my 17 year old really likes it. I don't think I would bother with Food Life. We go there for lunch and it is okay but it is basically a food court. You would be better off going to Boston Blackie's or Billy Goat's for lunch or even the food court at Nordstroms since it is right across from your hotel. Have fun!
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions. Too bad we only have a couple of days, you guys have filled our dance card for a week ;^)