Chicago neighborhoods again

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago neighborhoods again

I've been trying since Monday to post a response to my original message but the website isn't cooperating. Everytime I hit "post a response" I get an enlargement of the existing messages. Is there something I'm not getting?

Anyway...Thanks again to Chicgal, Kristi, et al for all the great suggestions.

Kristi, the funny thing about Woodlawn cemetary is that we lived in Berwyn for 11 years. Must have driven past that cemetary several times a week during all that time. We moved nearly 7 and 1/2 years ago and it wasn't until fairly recently that I heard about the Circus Train memorial. One of these days I'm going to check it out.

We had another very nice day Sunday, thanks largely to all your suggestions. We started at Graceland which I've heard about for years but had never visited. I'm so glad we finally got around to it. Very interesting. From there we drove down Clark and parked on Belmont. We walked around that area for a while and wound up at the Scottish pub you recommended, Chicgal. Thanks so much for that! I suspect it's a place we may not have noticed had you not mentioned it. And we really enjoyed it. Great beer! My husband had a glass of Scotch that he really enjoyed. And we both really liked the curried lamb appetizer we shared. Most of all we liked the atmosphere. It wasn't glitzy or trendy and it wasn't crowded. The waitress was super nice and helpful. A very pleasant experience all the way around.

We're hoping the weather will cooperate so that we can check out a few more suggestions this coming Sunday!

I kind of think I may have seen you answer this before, Chicgal. But I'm going to ask again anyway! One of the things our daughter wants to do is go to Second City. She saw online that they're going to be doing a play she really wants to see. Any suggestions for restaurants nearby? Obviously, something suitable for teenagers. And preferably somewhere where the four of us could eat for less than $100. Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 12:36 PM

My 2 kids, now in their early 20s, love Second City. They fondly remember the guacamole the waitress made for us at the Adobo Grill. Good food, nice place.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

The Potters, the Pullmans...many of them are amazing. Talk about flaunting your wealth! My husband was really taken with the simplicity of Daniel Burnham's gravesite in comparison with so many of the others, especially considering his impact on the city. It really was an experience walking through and seeing all those familiar names. Truly the movers and shakers of 19th century Chicago. We really want to go back with our kids. But I think we're going to have to give them a bit of a history lesson first!

To both Chicgal and eileenleft: I looked at the Adobo Grill website. Looks good! That may very well be where we eat. Thanks again.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Second City is a lot of fun. We had dinner afterwards at Adobo Grill and while the food was okay the noise level was unbearable. Even my 18 and 21 year old did not enjoy the blasting music which made it impossible to hold a conversation over dinner. We wouldn't return.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up, seetheworld. We're not big on noisy!
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Before we went to Second City, we stopped by Twin Anchors for ribs. I didn't particularly care for them but others really seem to love their ribs. 1655 N. Sedgwick is the address and it is within walking distance of Second City. No reservations unless they have changed their policy.

See some reviews here
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/s...s.venue?page=1

An interesting note on Pullman's grave at Graceland if you go back, Pullman was so hated by his employees by the time he died, his heirs feared that the body would be stolen and held for ransom so the coffin enclosed in a huge block of concrete, reinforced with railroad ties.

If you ever make it down to Oakwood cemetery on the southside, there are several very interesting monuments including one to firefighters who lost their lives at the Columbian Exposition, an enormous confederate war monument (yes, I mean confederate), a modest monument to Jesse Owens that is right across the way from the obnoxious monument that Roland Burris, who is still alive, has created for himself.

BTW, since you are locals, that the city of Chicago does a free weekend every year in May called Great Places and Spaces sponsored in part by the Architecture Foundation. The last couple of years we've toured Humboldt Park, Graceland, Uptown, Oakwoods, a river cruise, Eli's Cheesecake Factory and all of it was free.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Smoke free is very, very good! Thanks again!

And thanks to you again, Kristi. How do we find out about the weekend in May that you mentioned?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:40 PM

The cityofchicago.org website will have information on it in the spring, the premium tours (river cruise, lake Michigan cruise) are reservable in advance and they go very quickly. You can look at last year's itinerary if you go to the website and search for "great places"
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Maybe next time we go we'll try for some other day of the week. I know all the bookstores carry a book about Chicago cemeteries. But I've never really looked at it very closely. Just sort of assumed it was more about scary stories than other aspects. I think I'll check it out next time I'm in Borders. Our visit to Graceland on Sunday has certainly piqued my interest in Chicago area cemeteries. As did a Richard Crowe lecture my son and I attended at our park district last month! Don't know that I'm quite ready for the spookier ones he mentioned though!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

I did pick up that book, "Graveyards of Chicago". A lot of very good info! It was very helpful today when we went to Rosehill. We decided to save the mausoleum for another day. Just too gloomy an afternoon and not enough other people around!

Afterwards we went to Andersonville and had a beer at Simon's and a couple more at Hopleaf. Enjoyed them both. Unfortunately, Hopleaf's kitchen opened too late for us to order an appetizer. Would really have liked to try their mussels for two!