Search

Chicago w/4 teens

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago w/4 teens

Hello. I'm heading to Chicago for Spring break (start March 19) w/4 kids ages 13-16. A suggested 2 -3 day itinerary along w/the best place for Chicago style pizza would be great. We plan on staying at the Residence Inn-Bloomingdale...any suggestions regarding transportation/parking in the city would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM

I'm somewhat curious as to why you're staying in Bloomingdale. Do you realize that it's about 20 miles from downtown? Not that there's anything wrong with Bloomingdale. We live a couple of suburbs over. But, unless you have relatives there or something similar, I would recommend staying closer in if your sole objective is to tour Chicago.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Have you tried Priceline for hotels? I stay downtown often for the weekend. Unless you have a really good reason to have an hour commute each day I'd check out biddingfortravel.com and bid for some hotels downtown. You can get two rooms for each night. Walking up and down Michigan Av is exciting and has many shops. The teens wuld especially like Tower records. There are great museums including Science and Industry, Field museum and the Art museum. Navy Pier is also another place to check out and has an IMAX theater, giant ferris wheel etc..
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 04:38 AM

Do a search here for "Chicago" and I'm sure you'll find quite a few suggestions for your time here, as well as past discussions on the pizza question.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 03:55 AM

If you haven't already made your reservations, I'd suggest rethinking the Bloomingdale thing too. I've taken groups of kids to Chicago a lot, and part of the thrill really is staying in the city. I'm taking a dozen 17-19 y.o.s to Chicago the week after you're there. Through priceline I was able to get a decent hotel, practically a stone's throw from the Hancock building, for $70/nt.

But if you've made up your mind already -- on to the rest ...

You didn't say what kind of kids you're bringing, so I'm going to go with 'regular' teen. Hope it's a good fit. I'm also a little sketchy on actual street names/directions. I know how to get to these places, just not how to tell you, sorry. Maybe someone else will chime in with the particulars (they've been super helpful to me in the past).

First, I would NOT drive if I could help it. The traffic will make you uncomfortable and grumpy and the parking tolls will eat away at your budget. Check out the CTA and Metra websites to see how you can get your crew into the city each day.

Once you are in the city, getting around with a group of five is pretty easy. I know a one day CTA pass is just five bucks and I believe they offer two and three day cards as well. Using the els can seem scary if you're from a little town like I am, but really, it's not. There are stations within two or three blocks of Michigan Ave all over downtown, things are clearly marked, and if you get confused, Chicagoans are incredibly nice and helpful.

After you get into the city, I'd start our by taking a nice walk. We usually take the South Shore train in -- it ends at Michigan and Randolph. It is a lovely walk from there, over the bridge, straight up Michigan to the Hancock Building -- a great way to immerse your kids in City Life, and fantastic people watching.

Consider buying a Citypass. For around fifty dollars, it gets you in (I think) the Hancock Building, as well as most of the Museums. If you decide against the Citypass, (and your budget is limited, like mine) skip the tour price at the Hancock building and instead, take the elevator up to the floor with the bar on it (86th?). It's free and the women's restroom has the absolute BEST view of Chicago you will ever find. Plus, if you have boys in your bunch, it's kind of an adventure on its own, sneaking past the cleaning staff to get in and out ;^)

Next, pop into the mall (Water Tower). You can have lunch there - or just sodas - sit down, let the kids talk about everything they've seen so far. You'll need the rest. Across the street from there is a really nice, big H&M store full of fun, hip, not too pricey stuff to ogle.

After that, head back down Michigan. There is another mall, you'll have to do a search for it, but it includes a Lego store that is just a blast to play in. In the same area is the Virgin Records Mega store. Mega huge and oh so cool for teens. I know this sounds like a lot of shopping but it is my experience that ALL teens like to do this, whether they buy anything or not -- it is highly entertaining for them just to be around other kids their own age.

Dinner after that -- consider the Grand Lux (about a block away). It has a big city feel, the food is plentiful (good if you have teen boys in tow), and the prices aren't bad at all.

I just realized you are coming in on a Sunday. I'm not sure what options there might be for the evening, but you will likely be kind of tired by then anyway, and you'll need your rest for day two.

I'd do museums the next day. Try to find out if the free trolley is running while you're there. The museum campus includes the Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium -- all first rate. The Museum of Science and Industry (in a separate location) is running a special exhibit on the history of video games. My kids would LOVE to go. For an extra five bucks each, they can play for an hour -- and the rest of the museum has plenty to keep them busy.

I vote for Unos for pizza after that. Head back downtown. It's a couple of blocks off Michigan, kind of behind-ish the Marriott. By now, they should be tired again ;^)

I'd try for a late start on Tuesday -- then go for funky. Jump on the el (red) and head north. Get off at Addison (?) and wander around the neighborhood all afternoon. Wrigley Field is there (but it's too early for baseball still). It is chock full of cool shops -- try Strange Cargo -- while you're there, stock up on tube socks ;^) There's a cheap bowling alley nearby too.

How do you feel about rock shows? I noticed MXPX is playing at the Metro Tuesday night. They're a punk rock band -- but they used to be marketed as a Christian band, so the show should be clean. Your kids will feel so grown up, going to a show in the city. As a bonus, they have a balcony where you can sit during the show ;^)

Hope this helps.