Reload this Page >

Capital Hilton Washinghton,D.C.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Patti

We will be traveling from Hawaii to Washington, DC in early July. Will be @ the Capital Hilton has anyone stayed there? Or does anyone have any imformation/advice for a novice traveler to this area ?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:45 PM
dot

We stayed at the Capital Hilton two years ago and found it very nice. Got a fair price I think on Travelocity. It is a few blocks from the White House and at that time we could walk around the perimeter. Tour shuttles picked us up at the door and took us to the main tour bus terminal which was convenient. We took a night tour and then a 9 hour tour the next day. Crammed a lot of sightseeing into our alloted time. Our room was large and clean. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:36 AM
Patti

Thank You for the reply.It is a great help.We would like to take a night tour!& nice to know that there are shuttles. Best wishes, Patti

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Sarah

I stayed in the Capital Hilton in early May. Request the eighth floor if you are getting one of the deals. My first room had water damage and was not cleaned properly on my arrival. It was also smaller and on a floor (forget number) that was dingy compared to the eighth floor. I think this was more of a one time incident, the overall hotel seemed fine. I have noticed when ever I have received deals you seem to get the lowend room so you should just request a switch if this happens to you. epinions.com for more comments from people who have been.

On the whole this hotel is not as nice as other hiltons I have stayed in (I am thinking of the Waikoloa on the BI) but it is what you should expect inside a mainland city, space being at a premium. I was thinking that the Marriott was closer to the mall and was thinking about returning there.

Gee I just saw your entire post. Did you know that there was a Koohlawe (sp) exhibit in one of the smithsonian buildings? It is there until September. There is also a statue of King Kamehameha in the capital.

Washington is a great city and not the least bit overwhelming, keep us posted! You are going to have a great trip.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:33 AM
DC Resident

Patti,
Carry water with you at all times. July is hot in Washington. Time permitting, visit the folklife festival on the mall. This year the Smithsonian has put together a fabulous exhibit on the Silk Road. Haven't stayed at the Capital Hilton, but the location is great. (The vegetarian burrito vendor on the SW corner of 15th and K is outstanding-the long lines are testimony!)Enjoy DC!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Sarah

That was the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue that was closer to the mall.

The garden Inn Hilton is just across the street from the train station which you will probably find yourself using a lot. At the Capital Hilton you have to walk two city blocks to get the train station. It is entirely doable I just like being closer if I am coming home late or want to save that walking energy for the mall.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Patti

Aloha, Thank You for all your posts! I am looking forward to seeing the Kahoolawe exhibit, I have a family member that was on the Island last year doing some research.I will take water!also will check out the Silk Road exhibit! we were on the BI last month and went to Waikoloa for the day, was dissapointed as the pool/grounds/ponds were not as clean as usual, beautiful hotel I hope that they will get back to normal in the maintenance dept.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:49 PM
lynn

we did a stopover on route from UK to Orlando and stayed at Cap. Hilton. We were family of four and were given a brilliant room - large and huge bathroom too, very clean. Location couldn't have been better. John the concierge is a mine of information for us foreigners and he put our mind at rest about where not to go at night. Enjoy.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Sarah

Patti there are some exhibits connected with the Kahoolawe visit should inquire about before hand go to exhibit. Hawaiian birds in one of the birdhouses. If you want to see Kamehameha statue or even tour the capital. I was told people start lining up for tickets at 7am, no tours Sunday. This is the only way to see the inside of the capital.

I was just in D.C over the weekend I had a great rate at the Sheraton four points $59 a night but I think this was a summer weekend rate. A brand new hotel with interiors that I preferred to Hilton. Capital Hilton is more central though and you will appreciate that. A cheap hearty breakfast "Waffle House" on 10th and E it's cheap no frills but you can sample local specialties such as grits and scrapple.I had wonderful and I do mean wonderful crab cakes at "The Federal Exchange", walking distance from the capital Hilton. One word of warning about dining in D.C in general it does not compare with Oahu or NYC so scale back your expectations. I would also checkout Zagat suggestions.

I think a trip one day into the Baltimore National Aquarium might be great. I would skip the national aquarium in the district, dark, dingy and cramp space for the marine. They are in some ways connected with the Baltimore Aquarium but much much smaller.

ONE MORE.

The archives at the Smithsonian library house requests by Hawaiian citizens to stop the annexation of Hawaii. I am not sure what your cultural background or interest is but I was at a lecture in NYC where some Hawaiians were delighted and excited to find great grand parents taking a stand in these documents some time ago. You can only see these documents by appointment if you have a an interest, make that appointment. Polynesian culture exhibit at museum is closed, American Indian Museum is still in NYC and set to move in a couple of year. I tell this to you because outdated brocures and other material leads you to believe that the exhibits are open currently.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:34 PM
sss

That was the Peoples of Polynesia exhibit at the Museum of Natural History

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 01:39 PM
sss

not clear at all after a long day, there are events link with Kahoolawe exhibit individuals that grew up there speaking, some other events also might have more detail at the smithsonian website.